Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strut Tower Brace worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 08:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Consensus.. put one on if you want to. It won't hurt. But don't expect it to do much. If you feel like it did a lot, then no harm done
Old 06-09-2012, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My front tires should be good, honestly haven't checked them lately, but the rear that I even started considering an STB was because I just installed BMR LCA's recently and at speed, maybe 60+ mph it felt like the front end got a little floaty, at least according to my buddy who was driving the car at the time. He doesn't own an f-body though so it could be normal. He said a STB may tie the front end together to eliminate. that I haven't driven my car for about 2 weeks, I'm waiting for the PHB to get here.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:32 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Evidence or not, we sell a TON of them.

And have them on all our cars. Even if they don't do anything measurable, they just make you feel like you did something good for the car.

ramey
I must say. Im impressed at your honesty. Made me chuckle to read that.

On another note, are you guys anywhere NEAR being finished with the 3rd gen F-body, LS-v8 swap, "road race" K-members yet. My roommate had ordered one 4 months ago for a project car that the both of us are building and was told that they are making some revisions before final shipping.

Any progress??????
Old 06-09-2012, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't notice a difference when I put mine on but figured it wouldn't hurt. In the end I liked the way it looked so that made it worthwhile.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS-ONE_DAY
My front tires should be good, honestly haven't checked them lately, but the rear that I even started considering an STB was because I just installed BMR LCA's recently and at speed, maybe 60+ mph it felt like the front end got a little floaty, at least according to my buddy who was driving the car at the time. He doesn't own an f-body though so it could be normal. He said a STB may tie the front end together to eliminate. that I haven't driven my car for about 2 weeks, I'm waiting for the PHB to get here.
STB isn't going to fix that! What shocks do you have? What swaybar do you have? Floaty is a characteristic of poor shock damping
Old 06-09-2012, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Stock. Not sure if shocks have ever been replaced but I haven't noticed a problem with them. Car has 25k miles on it.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:08 PM
TECH Junkie

You can add a STB and the car will still be just as floaty. Your springs and shocks control your front suspension travel. Stock shocks are junk and aren't dampening anything anymore for you likely... so your springs are just bouncing around freely.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh well lol I ordered the STB tonight. I guess I can look at shocks but I wouldn't even know where to begin.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh well lol I ordered the STB tonight. I guess I can look at shocks but I wouldn't even know where to begin.
With a search
Old 06-10-2012, 10:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Like I was saying before, it's not going to hurt, but don't expect it to fix the floating uncontrolled suspension.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'll try driving the car once the PHB and STB get here and are installed. Like I said, my friend was the one driving so he may not be used to the car and it could be fine. I did drive the car after he did but I wasn't going 70+ mph and thats where he said he felt it so I'll drive that a try whenever the parts come in.

I definitely can't afford coilovers right now, but I did see a Bilstein/Eibach package for $611. Or just the Bilstein shocks are $3xx for all 4.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll try driving the car once the PHB and STB get here and are installed. Like I said, my friend was the one driving so he may not be used to the car and it could be fine. I did drive the car after he did but I wasn't going 70+ mph and thats where he said he felt it so I'll drive that a try whenever the parts come in.

I definitely can't afford coilovers right now, but I did see a Bilstein/Eibach package for $611. Or just the Bilstein shocks are $3xx for all 4.
Don't worry about coilovers. Or different springs for that matter. A set of SLP Bilsteins are all you need to get some proper dampening on your car. Before the Koni's on my car, anything over 55 mph didn't feel unsafe, just didn't feel like you were driving a sports car. After Koni's and an alignment (don't forget about the alignment, even if you DON'T replace your shocks) it tracked great.

Being I'm thinking about it now....if your car isn't tracking right, maybe it's not a bad idea to get an alignment before putting money into it. There's a chance it's all you need. A 1/16 degree or so of toe in (not enough to hurt tire wear), along with good caster (a little higher on the right side, 4.5 degrees left/5.0 degrees right for example) might solve your problems right off the bat. Good shocks though, like the Bilsteins, are probably a good investment regardless and will likely make the car feel more under control, even more so than chassis modifications.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe I'll bring my car to a local tire place and have them check the alignment then. Last time I had my car at really high speed was about 9-10 months ago, 125+mph on a deserted highway. After 120 I could feel it start to loosen up a bit. I am installing a UMI poly/poly adjustable PHB on Monday with the STB (as long as it gets here on time from Founders). I'll swing by the tire place after that.

I could probably swing for a set of the SLP Bilsteins, I just really want my torque converter!
Old 06-13-2012, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

You could have skipped on the PHB and STB and been part way towards your shocks....just sayin

After you get your PHB in, however, take it for a drive and see personally what you want to change. Don't necessarily go off of your friend's opinion, it's YOUR car!
Old 06-19-2012, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

UPDATE

Got the STB and PHB installed tonight. Took maybe a half hour total. I only did a visual inspection of the PHB to get it lined up properly. I did it at a buddies house because he has a pit dug out in his garage for working under the car, and his house is off a couple twisty-ish roads. I decided to see if I could feel any difference. It could just be in my head but it did seem to make a subtle difference in keeping the front end tidy on that road. Other turns I took a little fast and didn't really notice a difference. I think maybe circumstances just have to be right to feel a difference, speed, line, etc.

I also got the car up to 90 and didn't feel any floatyness so I think my buddy is just used to more solid cars, like his buick or G8
Old 06-20-2012, 07:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Came free with my Ss hood so I say yes.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:48 PM
Launching!

I bought a stb, lcas and a phb with my new 12to bolt 4.11 gears. Take off now the back wheels do not hop and the car feels stiffer as not twisting as much and on turns it feels like it hugs the turn alot better. All around the handling of the car i feel more in control
Old 06-21-2012, 04:21 PM
TECH Veteran

I was told by a buddy who is a seasoned road racer that the STB shows it's worth under heavy braking.

If you have road raced a F body you know under very heavy breaking the car tends to dart around some.

I haven't installed on yet, but I will before the fall when we go racing again.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Personally I love mine!
(Mine is also UMI)

From my personal experience it REALLY tightened up the front of the car and made it feel so much stiffer and turned a lot better IMO.

BUT literally 2 days after I did this my Power Steering cooler broke and I had to flush the coolant and PS... but regardless, it did two things for me.
1. Tightened up the front
2. Looks great in the engine bay!
Old 06-21-2012, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

I've spoken with a few auto body shop owners about strut tower braces for our cars and they've each offered this unique perspective: As our cars age, the weight of our engines begin to pull their front fenders inward and down. I have been told that strut tower braces will mitigate this problem. Do I believe this? Well, it certainly makes sense. Can I prove it? No, but since I put mine on 10 years ago the very day I bought it brand-new, I'd like to think that I made a "solid" investment.

Quick Reply: Strut Tower Brace worth it?