Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

ZL1 wins Top Ride Shootout at Chevy High Performance Nationals

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lightbulb ZL1 wins Top Ride Shootout at Chevy High Performance Nationals

Hmm, so is the 5th Gen REALLY that uncompetitive as Strano likes to say? The driver does say, however:

"This means I slide the car around quite a bit which is necessary for a heavy car like this, it is the only way to get the car to rotate in the tight 180* hairpins turns."

and interestingly:

"As i mentioned above, this car needs traction through the turns. And a common misconception is that a stiffer car will always have more grip/traction than a softer car. That is very far from the truth! I was running the car in SPORT with all systems off, and still felt the car could do so much more but I was still running a little loose in the back end. So I put the car in TOURING mode just for the hell of it and I picked up half a second the first run. By running in TOURING mode it allowed for more mechanical grip from the car thus transferring the weight more. So my preferred suspension setting for a stock car on stock tires in an auto-x is TOURING with all safety nets OFF. It makes it very easy to drive, and crazy fast. I was beating cars with very seasoned drivers that weighed hundreds of pounds less then I did."

---

"Torq’s project ZL1 is not even a week old and it’s already collecting the accolades. With only 68 miles on the odometer, the ZL1 was driven from Miami to Atlanta for the Chevy High Performance Nationals at the Atlanta Dragway. It competed in a triathlon style event for some serious performing cars.
The events included a brake stop Challenge, drag racing and an Auto-X event. Competitors included some serious machines purpose built for these kind of events, but none of them could match the ZL1’s performance.
The Torq ZL1 won the Chevy High Performance Auto-X challenge 2 days in a row, Top Ride Shootout Brake Stop Challenge, and the Top ride Shootout Auto-X event which gave an overall point lead, making it the winner of the Top Ride Shootout!"

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228756

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 06-08-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car for car, similar driver, the ZL1 will get its *** handed to it in an SCCA F-stock nationals event.

I don't think this event is much of a revealing comparison. I doubt a lot of that field had autox experience, and experience is everything. Go to a local autox event, sure, I guarantee lots of the best drivers could probably win with the ZL1.. but that's autox for you. 90% driver and 10% car.

You can probably make it competitive for other forms of racing. Autox though.. I wouldn't bring it to the nationals
Old 06-08-2012, 09:26 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just imagine how fast it would be if it had chromoly sway bars.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:43 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Car for car, similar driver, the ZL1 will get its *** handed to it in an SCCA F-stock nationals event.

I don't think this event is much of a revealing comparison. I doubt a lot of that field had autox experience, and experience is everything. Go to a local autox event, sure, I guarantee lots of the best drivers could probably win with the ZL1.. but that's autox for you. 90% driver and 10% car.

You can probably make it competitive for other forms of racing. Autox though.. I wouldn't bring it to the nationals

So, basically, everyone that showed up at the CHP race were inexperienced amateur's? Except for the driver of the ZL1, who had to have been a pro, right?
Old 06-08-2012, 01:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
So, basically, everyone that showed up at the CHP race were inexperienced amateur's? Except for the driver of the ZL1, who had to have been a pro, right?
No, I have no idea who else was there and what cars. The field was probably pretty random with the types of cars, setups, and driver experience. That's basically your formula for a local autox event, and there you might see the ZL1 win in FS (or whatever class it's supposed to be in)

In an autox national event however, I strongly doubt the ZL1 will be competitive in any classes its elegible in.

I'll check the results pages though in any case. Who knows maybe I'm wrong but for now I'm sticking to "not competitive in autox"
Old 06-08-2012, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Kyle and Stacy Tucker were there (owners of Detroit Speed)

Quick Reply: ZL1 wins Top Ride Shootout at Chevy High Performance Nationals