Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Any reason to NOT just get new factory motor mounts......

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 09:23 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Many people overlook how versatile the rubber motor mounts make working on your car. Ever reach for that top transmission bolt? haha While rubber certainly has its drawbacks when it comes to performance and strength, it does allow the motors to jostle around smoothly and reduce harmonic issues. Going to poly mounts can increase the difficulty of working on the car for some jobs, but they are much stronger and still reduce vibrations to some level. Solid mounts really should only be reserved for the big power boys looking to eliminate any unwanted movement from the engine but not willing to go to motor plates.

IMO, the rubber mounts are a good choice for anyone under 700hp or even 800hp unless you've had issues with them in the past.
- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 06-19-2012, 12:25 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I can't wait to get a plate
Old 06-19-2012, 01:03 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
Many people overlook how versatile the rubber motor mounts make working on your car. Ever reach for that top transmission bolt? haha While rubber certainly has its drawbacks when it comes to performance and strength, it does allow the motors to jostle around smoothly and reduce harmonic issues. Going to poly mounts can increase the difficulty of working on the car for some jobs, but they are much stronger and still reduce vibrations to some level. Solid mounts really should only be reserved for the big power boys looking to eliminate any unwanted movement from the engine but not willing to go to motor plates.

IMO, the rubber mounts are a good choice for anyone under 700hp or even 800hp unless you've had issues with them in the past.
- Kevin
I edited my first post in this thread....maybe I should have been more clear what my set-up will be........

Well.....hmmmmm, I will definitely, without a doubt make 1,200 RWHP. Thats the goal, we'll do it till we get it.

Should I go solid mounts?

Its gonna be a weekend warrior, no longer my daily driver. I want the best set-up now, not so worried about comfort for long drives.

*****So, out of curiosity though......if I did solid mounts, is it terrible vibration and a crappy ride? Or when just cruising on the highway at 65mph, will it be a smooth ride. I have no experience of knowledge of solid mounts.....

Last edited by LS6427; 06-19-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
I'm going to get a kick out of this. 1k horsepower, either crank or at the wheels, and you're SERIOUSLY considering rubber mounts? Do you have any idea how much abuse you'll be putting on the rubber mounts, both trans and motor? There's sufficient reason why a lot of guys in that category go poly, solid, or even motor plate.

Launch that car a few times. I'll bet anything the rubber trans mount tears, whether you know it or not. Imagine the motor twisting due to it not being sufficiently held in place, thus throwing off your pinion angle and everything else. I'd pay money for you to launch that car, or even a hard shift on the interstate from a roll, with the hood off the car and a GoPro filming the motor.

Dude, you've helped me in the past, especially with the power steering cooler and all, but this completely blows my mind that you'd even CONSIDER rubber ANYTHING for your application.

In the end though, we all have our opinions, and hardly do we all ever agree. Best of luck to you.
My car will never launch on slicks....its a 100% street car. It will never even visit a track. Street radials.......street drag tires only.

40-50mph rolls up to 180mph is what I like to do.

So solid mounts then........????

Old 06-19-2012, 01:11 PM
Banned

I plan to run this thing hard 3-4 times a week, on weekends. And probably a dozen not so hard core runs, but fun runs none-the-less. Fun cruising around......you know......

NO drag track....ever.

Roll races only.

Its going to be ALL Show and ALL GO........just not my daily driver anymore.

So.....I guess I should put up with some vibration.....BUT, how much vibration comes from Solid Mounts.......

Last edited by LS6427; 06-19-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:40 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Solids are incredibly smooth on the street at speed. It's just taking off from first that was a vibe for a second, but then you learn to clutch a lttle fifferent and the problem is all but gone.

Since you're an A4, I can't say, but I know on my car, only taking off is where I "could" feel it, but like I said, I just relearned how to take off.

I can't wait to see this build get done!
Old 06-19-2012, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

A bit off topic, but thanks to all you guys for bumping this thread up! I saw it, searched for the stock clam shells and bought a set for $75 brand new and shipped... so I can cut them apart and prepare my poly mounts for when I do my long tubes on my B4C. Thanks for the reminder!
Old 06-19-2012, 06:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Solids are incredibly smooth on the street at speed. It's just taking off from first that was a vibe for a second, but then you learn to clutch a lttle fifferent and the problem is all but gone.

Since you're an A4, I can't say, but I know on my car, only taking off is where I "could" feel it, but like I said, I just relearned how to take off.

I can't wait to see this build get done!
Well hell.......I should go solid.......

How about these.....?? Any you can recommend that are very very good quality????

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=556

Old 06-19-2012, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rubber. Tie it down. $5. Best of both worlds.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LPE 403
Rubber. Tie it down. $5. Best of both worlds.

WHAT?????

Old 06-19-2012, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just goes to show that people will say anything. lmao.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS1121
I have some of those industrial strength zip ties........lol

Maybe I'll just have the block welded into place.....haha

Old 06-20-2012, 08:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use duct tape
Old 06-20-2012, 01:18 PM
Banned

I'm going UMI solid mounts......its gonna be a weekend warrior.......

After driving my daily driver around all week, I think a cruise in my TA will be quite awesome, any vibration won't even be noticed. Even though my Mercedes E63 AMG will have 524 HP......lol.......it will keep me somewhat primed all week to drive the bad boy TA.......

I'll let you all know how it feels with the solids.....hopefully the car will be on the road in 3 weeks.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:26 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
I edited my first post in this thread....maybe I should have been more clear what my set-up will be........

Well.....hmmmmm, I will definitely, without a doubt make 1,200 RWHP. Thats the goal, we'll do it till we get it.

Should I go solid mounts?

Its gonna be a weekend warrior, no longer my daily driver. I want the best set-up now, not so worried about comfort for long drives.

*****So, out of curiosity though......if I did solid mounts, is it terrible vibration and a crappy ride? Or when just cruising on the highway at 65mph, will it be a smooth ride. I have no experience of knowledge of solid mounts.....

Your actual ride will not change, but depending on cam selection, engine surges, etc. all of this is transferred into the car. I happen to like it because I just like race cars...but I have to speak to customers and forum members as an average consumer who probably won't appreciate the increase in vibrations and harmonics.

At that power level, you should almost drop the idea of a factory mount. It will work for some time, but it will most certainly fail. Poly can stand up to more abuse and should be a good option, but solid mounts might be your ticket if you don't mind the coolness of feeling your engine. haha
- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 06-20-2012, 02:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
Your actual ride will not change, but depending on cam selection, engine surges, etc. all of this is transferred into the car. I happen to like it because I just like race cars...but I have to speak to customers and forum members as an average consumer who probably won't appreciate the increase in vibrations and harmonics.

At that power level, you should almost drop the idea of a factory mount. It will work for some time, but it will most certainly fail. Poly can stand up to more abuse and should be a good option, but solid mounts might be your ticket if you don't mind the coolness of feeling your engine. haha
- Kevin
I think you're right......at that power level I need to just suck it up whatever it ends up feeling like. And you know....I'll probably LOVE IT.......

Old 06-20-2012, 02:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I know is I only have 400 rwhp and maybe my rubber mounts were too old and rotted out, but those things twisted like crazy. My shifter would wobble all over the freakin place.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1121
You are being an *** and showing your ignorance. This is a very accepted safety procedure that is allowed by NHRA and does exactly what he said.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCobraGuy
You are being an *** and showing your ignorance. This is a very accepted safety procedure that is allowed by NHRA and does exactly what he said.
Can you explain this to us, I don't think I understand.
Is it just rubber mount and also something tieing down the engine somewhere to the engine bay? Does this just restrict movement?

Also forgot to mention earlier in this thread, has anyone heard of guys using a rubber mount on one side of the engine and a poly on the other? I swear ive read that somewhere on here.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Also forgot to mention earlier in this thread, has anyone heard of guys using a rubber mount on one side of the engine and a poly on the other? I swear ive read that somewhere on here.[/QUOTE]

You're joking right? Because only an idiot or would do something like that.

Quick Reply: Any reason to NOT just get new factory motor mounts......