Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

C5 Brakes on Trans AM

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004 | 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic
20 Year Member

The brackets are a direct bolt on. I have the best luck calling LG and asking for Lou.
Old 04-10-2004 | 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

I proto-typed these brakes for Lou on my '98 TA. These brackets will NOT work on a 97 and older 4th gen.

The brackets are a direct bolt-on, bolting up where the existing abutment bracket sits. The adaptor from LG has 2 holes in it that relocates the abutment bracket to accept the larger diameter rotor. No alteration or change to the stock suspension is necessary.

A stock F-Body caliper OR a C5 caliper will BOTH work just fine. No issues, other than a minute amount of a single fin on the backside of the C5 caliper must be removed. The amount removed is about 1/4" x 1/4", if my memory serves. It's minimal and inconsequential. It will be grossly obvious where and how much to remove. LG does this already, if you buy the calipers from him.

Use F-Body brake pads because of a clearance issue using C5 pads with the F-Body abutment bracket.

The stock brake lines (or stock replacement) will work without an issue as well.

I hope this clarifies things.

I'm not gonna make excuses for Lou or LGM. They definitely need to step up their customer service and get their damn website updated.

I will say this, though.

The last couple of folks that worked for Lou and Lou trusted with his business, worked their long enough to learn who the suppliers are and how to run a performance oriented shop. They then opened their own place, an LGM competitor. So, Lou is rather gun shy right now at letting his reps do some dealing.

I hate to see his business take the beating it is taking right now. But those competitors are loving it ...
Old 04-11-2004 | 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you hit it on the head though, its easier to adjust prices to be competitive but much harder to give good customer service. even more difficult to lose a reputation of not being customer orientated. hope all comes out well though for one of our sponsors.
Old 04-12-2004 | 02:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

first off:

LG
+ CUSTOMER SERVICE

I finished painting my c5 calipers this weekend. i used a whole can of high temp high gloss black engine paint on the two front calipers alone. i then sanded down the black paint on the corvette lettering with 2000 grit to take it back down to the cast aluminum lettering. I then used half a can of high temp clear coat on the calipers and their hanging in my attic at home curing and waiting for me to return. i must say they look badass. all of you who are wanting to do the c5 conversion i have all four rotors and the rear calipers from a c5 if anyone is interested.
Old 04-12-2004 | 02:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Trackbird;

no need to worry about me doing a hack job, its not in my nature. i work in a high quality body shop and i have caught a severe case of O.C.D. when i comes to doing cosmetic mods especially if they involve painting. grinding too, but i'm polishing so no worries.
Old 04-12-2004 | 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cool....just checking.
Old 04-13-2004 | 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by trackbird
I am not sure that removing material, or potentially structural material, from calipers is a good idea. If you do it, I'd make sure you polish everything and avoid leaving grinding marks (that is where cracks can start).

My thoughts.

people do it all the time to fit draglites and prostars
Old 04-13-2004 | 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kickassT/A
people do it all the time to fit draglites and prostars

If everybody is doing it, it must be ok.

That answer does not make me feel any better. If GM thought the calipers could use less material (saving weight and cost), I suspect they would have designed them that way. That was all I was saying.
Old 04-13-2004 | 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Oh c'mon, TB ... you know as well as I that GM adds unnecessary stuff to these cars, in the name of safety, reliability and durability, even if it costs them money.
Old 04-13-2004 | 11:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

They've got a fortune tied up in windshields alone.....

You wear a helmet at the track, right?
Old 04-14-2004 | 04:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Use F-Body brake pads because of a clearance issue using C5 pads with the F-Body abutment bracket.
Half the reason why I wanted to do this conversion was to use C5 pads, thanks for the heads up!
Old 04-14-2004 | 06:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Why C5 pads? The surface area is almost the same.
Old 04-15-2004 | 10:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Why C5 pads? The surface area is almost the same.
As I remember, C5 race pads are nearly 40% cheaper than F-body race pads. My guess.
Old 04-19-2004 | 12:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

can i use c5 pads if i'm using c5 calipers with my f-body powerslots?
Old 04-19-2004 | 06:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

There you go ...

Quick Reply: C5 Brakes on Trans AM