Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

*Long* Bilstein HD review and questions about how to improve daily driver comfort

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by why87
Rear control arms won't be too bad. Just a bolt/nut combo on each end. May not be a terrible idea to look into an aftermarket set and just bolt them in rather than pressing the old bushings out of the factory arms. On the front your going to remove the arms (obviously) when you do that press the bushings out along with the lower ball joints. Front set will be a tedious job .
Oh joy. Lol. I have some new brake rotors/pads on the way. I may just order all of these bushings and just replace everything at once.

So far on my list:
Upper and Lower Ball Joints
1LE style Rear control arm bushings
panhard rod
front and rear sway bar bushings
front upper and lower control arm bushings
end links
T/A mount

Anyone recommend anything else?
Old 06-23-2012, 10:27 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Do you notice that the bumps don't seem so harsh when your t-tops are off? I notice that on mine, and it's because you can't hear the impact noise as well - the car actually rides the same, but seems smoother.

I've also noticed that some f-bodies have a loose, rattly, noisy feel about them whereas others feel tight and relatively quiet. I don't know that it's something that's identifiable and can be traced to specific components - some cars are just thrashers. That may be the real difference between your car and your buddy's.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Do you notice that the bumps don't seem so harsh when your t-tops are off? I notice that on mine, and it's because you can't hear the impact noise as well - the car actually rides the same, but seems smoother.

I've also noticed that some f-bodies have a loose, rattly, noisy feel about them whereas others feel tight and relatively quiet. I don't know that it's something that's identifiable and can be traced to specific components - some cars are just thrashers. That may be the real difference between your car and your buddy's.
RevGTO, it's funny you mention that - my girlfriend and I were just talking about that last night driving around with the t-tops off. Definitely seems way smoother with the tops off.

I really hope you are wrong about your second point, although that could be true. I'm thinking I'm going to replace all the bushings I mentioned above. If all the mounts/rubber to insulate the cabin from vibrations are completely fresh and the car STILL rattles and thrashes around, then I'll just set it on fire!

Just kidding. I have spoken to a few members on LS1tech that have replaced a lot of what I'm talking about and claimed their vehicle felt way more solid and insulated afterward. I'm hoping that is the case for mine as well. My car came from up north, so it's conceivable that those parts are just a little more degraded than usual from the exposure to the salt/weather. It's a super nice car otherwise.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

my mustang felt the same as the fbody in that loose rattly sense but our roads are horrible and all cars feel like that given enough time.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:17 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Onyx_Black_Z28
My girlfriend and I were just talking about that last night driving around with the t-tops off. Definitely seems way smoother with the tops off.
This is one downside to f-bodies. A lot of impact harshness is transmitted to the cabin instead of being damped out. There's a huge difference in this, for example, between my Formulas and my wife's G8.

Installing weld-on SFC's on my A4 car made it much worse. Bolt-ons on my M6 car made no difference. Go figure.

After the SFC install on the A4 car, I put Bilsteins on it and they made a huge improvement. Just my experience ...
Old 06-25-2012, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good write up. I feel the same way about my Bilsteins. I would say they're definitely worth it if you're riding around on 10+ year old stock DeCarbons. They're not going to ride like a Cadillac but they will help keep the car composed over big bumps and potholes. Cornering is also MUCH improved over stock.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RevGTO
This is one downside to f-bodies. A lot of impact harshness is transmitted to the cabin instead of being damped out. There's a huge difference in this, for example, between my Formulas and my wife's G8.

Installing weld-on SFC's on my A4 car made it much worse. Bolt-ons on my M6 car made no difference. Go figure.

After the SFC install on the A4 car, I put Bilsteins on it and they made a huge improvement. Just my experience ...
RevGTO, I've noticed that too about the G8's. I would have LOVED to buy a GXP G8 - too bad they are $30,000-ish still. Maybe one day!

I actually almost bought the SFC's for mine when I did the shocks, but decided to hold off until I could see what difference the shocks made. My friend with the Trans Am that feels like a Lexus compared to mine just ordered SFC's. I'm curious to see what difference that makes on his - for better or worse.

Originally Posted by Latch
Good write up. I feel the same way about my Bilsteins. I would say they're definitely worth it if you're riding around on 10+ year old stock DeCarbons. They're not going to ride like a Cadillac but they will help keep the car composed over big bumps and potholes. Cornering is also MUCH improved over stock.
Thanks! I appreciate it. You're absolutely right - I'm sure the difference on mine would have been much more impressive if my DeCarbons had more than 25k on them.

Originally Posted by 2fresh
my mustang felt the same as the fbody in that loose rattly sense but our roads are horrible and all cars feel like that given enough time.
You're right - but I guess what I'm trying to find out is what makes them get that way over time? Is it just that things that used to be tight are now loose?Parts wearing out? Bushings that dampen vibration and sound wearing out? I refuse to believe that cars just "get that way" and then are unable to be fixed, at least to some extent. Hopefully I'm right and will figure out a way to make it feel newer.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Onyx_Black_Z28

You're right - but I guess what I'm trying to find out is what makes them get that way over time? Is it just that things that used to be tight are now loose?Parts wearing out? Bushings that dampen vibration and sound wearing out? I refuse to believe that cars just "get that way" and then are unable to be fixed, at least to some extent. Hopefully I'm right and will figure out a way to make it feel newer.
It was the front-end bushings on my 34,000 mile 1994 Formula. The car had gotten that ratty, rough, poor ride. I went through the whole suspension last summer and changed all the bushings to Moog stock-style replacements when I changed over to LS1 brakes.

The difference in enhanced ride quality was amazing! The bushings had deteriorated, compressed and degraded with age not miles.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 94FBIRD
It was the front-end bushings on my 34,000 mile 1994 Formula. The car had gotten that ratty, rough, poor ride. I went through the whole suspension last summer and changed all the bushings to Moog stock-style replacements when I changed over to LS1 brakes.

The difference in enhanced ride quality was amazing! The bushings had deteriorated, compressed and degraded with age not miles.
Thank you for your response - I was hoping someone with some experience in the same situation would chime in. That's the same thing I've been thinking - the miles on my car are low, but it's going on 11 years old now, so I know that stuff is bound to dry out and deteriorate over time.

When you say the difference in enhanced ride quality was amazing, can you elaborate? Did you notice a big difference in how the car absorbed the little bumps and what have you on the road? What about shifting? Was anything smoother/different there? I appreciate any feedback you can provide.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The car was less rough riding. The action of the suspension was smoother over all road surfaces. The steering was tighter. The car felt more composed over bumps. The car had a lot less shudder over rough surfaces.

The aged bushings and ball joints just have a lot of slop(clearances) that add up unwanted suspension movement and ruin the ride of the car.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

The car was less rough riding. The action of the suspension was smoother over all road surfaces. The steering was tighter. The car felt more composed over bumps. The car had a lot less shudder over rough surfaces.

The aged bushings and ball joints just have a lot of slop(clearances) that add up unwanted suspension movement and ruin the ride of the car.
This is EXACTLY what I suspected. Thanks for the confirmation!
Old 06-27-2012, 12:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was surprised by the improvement. Having owned the car for the last 16 years I hadn't noticed the slow degradation in the ride quality. The bushing 'looked' new still when I removed them. I just replaced them and the ball joints because I was installing new spindles. I just figured might as well change everything out while I'm in there.

I'm sure glad I did.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

I was surprised by the improvement. Having owned the car for the last 16 years I hadn't noticed the slow degradation in the ride quality. The bushing 'looked' new still when I removed them. I just replaced them and the ball joints because I was installing new spindles. I just figured might as well change everything out while I'm in there.

I'm sure glad I did.
My bushings all "look" new as well - this is what makes me wonder if a visual inspection is really good for anything other than identifying major failures (like one is cracked in half or missing).

Quick Reply: *Long* Bilstein HD review and questions about how to improve daily driver comfort