Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

unstable at highway speeds over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 08:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Default unstable at highway speeds over bumps

I've replaced/upgraded all of my suspension besides my front lower control arms, and inner/outer tie rod ends (130k). On the highway the wheel likes to jerk side to side over bumps.

I've put it in the air and pulled the wheel from left and right/top and bottom. There doesn't seem to be any play in anything. I have a set of new lower control arms already, so I'm more concerned with the tie rods. Is is possible for them to be worn even if I can't feel any play? And is it possible for just a poor alignment to cause these symptoms (I know I need one, just want to replace everything I need before I do it)

Thanks for any input
Old 07-06-2012, 08:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the alignment is far enough out that will happen
Old 07-07-2012, 11:03 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the alignment. A bad alignment will make the car dart and jerk with every little bump. It only gets more pronounced when you lower a car. Get a quality alignment and you will notice a huge difference.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ Any quality "nationwide shops" that you would trust to do a decent job? i.e. Firestone (who has a lifetime alignment plan that's inexpensive)
Old 07-15-2012, 10:57 AM
TECH Resident

If you research you'll see this is a common problem. Not one solution ever seems to work. Both the trans am's I've owned do this, and they've both had 80 000 kms on them. One was bone stock, the other slightly modified.

I still haven't found a solution.

I'm hoping it's the crap decarbons - as I have some koni's just waiting to go on.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My front suspension was starting to get like this. Friday, I replaced all my front end bushings, and sway bar bushings/ endlinks, upper & lower ball joints, and tie-rod ends. Now the car feels a lot better, it definately made the car feel like a completely different vehicle.

I have now switched all the stock components out to poly & rod end tubular parts in the rear along with a 23mm swaybar. The front is all poly with the stock 32mm sway.

I have not run into any squeaking issues and the vehicle feels stiffer, but is far more stable during harder driving.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:58 PM
Launching!

Definitely sounds like alignment, would try that first before anything else.

Quick Reply: unstable at highway speeds over bumps