Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

LT1 K Member and Control arm issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 12:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 K Member and Control arm issue

Long time reader first time poster. My simple job of putting shocks and tires on my 1993 trans am has turned into a nightmare. After I installed new bilsteins and tired I went to have it aligned. Guy said the ball joints had a little play and I said dont worry just get it as close as you can. Calls back 10 minutes later telling me my drivers side spindle is bent. Instead of replacing a stock one I figure now is a good time to upgrade to ls1 brakes so I pick up a kit from ebay. I also order new upper and lower ball joints and tie rod ends, figured I should do it right. Got everything apart and go to press the ball joints out of the lower control arms and it aint happening. I say ok, take control arms off and take them to a shop and get new bushing pressed in at the same time. The rear bolt wouldn't come out no matter what. I have tried heat, hitting it with a hammer over and over. I finally gave in and dropped the k member to grind the head of the bolt off and it still wont come off.

Debating if I should just remove k member from car to do both sides at once or if now is the time to upgrade to a tubular k member and tubular lower control arms. I want to do this eventually anyways but wasn't planning on just yet. Car is primarily driven on te street and really only gets 1000 miles a year. I plan on dropping the engine this winter and install headers, all new seals and upgrade the valve springs. Is it worth it to go to tubular now or just pull the stock one, spend the time getting the arms out, clean and paint the stock k member and control arms and then reinstall. It is really tempting just to buy new tubular items to remove and replace quicker. What do you guys think?

Quick Reply: LT1 K Member and Control arm issue