Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

fine tuning suspension and AutoX

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 12:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

There wasn't anything really relevant to that. This started with issues he was having on the front, which I am 99.994% are driver induced (and he agrees).

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-21-2012, 03:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Azar_Hawke
Not that I'm really involved in the convo but thanks for the advice since I'm about to start autox'ing myself. I've got two questions if you don't mind....

I currently have stock LS1 brakes, but someone I know has offered to upgrade me to C5 front brakes (just the brakes, not the calipers...maybe later on those). Would that put me in a different autoX class? Currently the only mods I have are intake and exhaust. Also, would that affect the bias at all, since I would have larger front brakes? I'm assuming that would make it more balanced overall?
IMO you don't really need bigger brakes for autox. There is nothing wrong with the stock stuff and the guys telling you to do nothing and just learn how to drive are spot on.
If you have $150 burning a hole in your pocket and really want to do something put a set of Hawk HPS pads in and call it a day. They don't make you stop much faster but they feel fantastic to drive.
BTW you can shop all you want but Strano has the best price on them.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Key is to ease on the brakes, let the car rotate forward THEN get on the brakes once all the weight is on the front.

Sounds easy, you cant just "step" off the gas and romp on the brakes in these cars, they dont like it.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
I'm surprised a Watt's Link didn't come up in this thread...
That or if a sponsor would do a GP on one.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Key is to ease on the brakes, let the car rotate forward THEN get on the brakes once all the weight is on the front.

Sounds easy, you cant just "step" off the gas and romp on the brakes in these cars, they dont like it.
+1 to that for sure!!
Old 07-30-2012, 10:21 AM
TECH Junkie

I think I may go with the Watts link next year. I want the ability to lower my roll center. Contemplated lowering the PHB, but that's a pain... it will be a lot easier to adjust with the Watts, despite not having the range potential of lowering the PHB
Old 08-12-2012, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

Took all the advice given and proved that it was indeed driver induced. Had zero brake hop today and got 2nd in SM. Everything felt much smoother today. Now i just have to find out how much harder i can push her.

I know this is the wrong section but I'll be buying some tires soon. I can't afford a set of race tires and street so what do you recommend? I have 315/35/17 On rear and 275/40/17 up front right now. I've been looking at the Nitto 05 and 01 all the way around. I probably drive my car 1-200 miles a month and 1 autox a month
Old 08-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Teching In

With that mileage (2400 per year) I'd say NTO5's ... If its really more like 1200 a year THEN NTO1's

I posted an air pressure thread about 05's on FRRAX ...

~DaVe
Old 08-12-2012, 05:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
I'm surprised a Watt's Link didn't come up in this thread...
Because it won't fix his problem, that's why.

Whats link changes the height of the rear roll center, has nothing to do with brakes and or how they work.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:17 PM
On The Tree

alright, 2 events later and I have had zero brake hop. Definitely driver induced there and working on smoother braking seems to have fixed that issue.

However, People are still describing my shocks as looking blown. I have been working on smoother transitions and feel like a completely different driver (my times show it). So I know I am making some progress in the right direction, but obviously not enough.

Anyone else have this issue and tips to help overcome it. whether be driving or adjusting suspension. stiffening or softening my konis sa help any? All help and criticism is appreciated.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

People are describing your shocks as looking blown? What does that mean? The car will move around, it is not stiff as a board. What the video's of my old Camaro on my website and you'll see that this is the case. I'm not sure what they are seeing that makes them say that, but I find that often people think the car won't move at all (and many cars are setup that way, but I don't do that).

If you have blown shocks, you'd know it. The car would drive funny on the road, the adjusters wouldn't work right, they might be puking oil, etc.

I have no video, I can't see what's happening, there is no detail on why these people think that (and frankly you are best off looking for someone with experience that might have seen my former car run). And if you think the car is moving around too much, softening the shocks isn't likely the answer you seek.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-10-2012, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

I don't think my shocks are blown. I definitely believe it's driver error. I was hoping someone who struggled with similar issue would have some tips for me. I'll see if I can find a video and get it posted up. The main problem is it's obvious i'm very new to autoX and honestly not 100% sure how my car is supposed to act. I'm the only one I know with an f body who is tracking it and not drag.

I'd be lying if I told you I wasn't one of the people that thought the tighter the better. I talked to the corner worker had said that, and I think I know what the problem is. Everytime he described my front end as bouncing, I was under acceleration. Probably accelerating too hard and causing front end to lift. Specifically around a tight loop we had and our finish ended around a hard left hand sweeper.

For what it's worth, I personally think my car feels great and now that I'm learning the limits of the car, having a great time. The only thing I plan to do between this year and next year is to change out my ball joints etc. and learn how to drive.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:21 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

As much as I hate to say this, I have to... I hear a lot of things, both everyday here at work, and when I'm out at races that just make me roll my eyes. Everyone is an expert, and is happy to give an opinion, even when they don't know what they are talking about.

Ok, so the nose comes up when you accelerate. Well, you have power. And if the weight didn't transfer some, it'd be that much harder to plant any power. Yes, you could stiffen the front shocks and slow down that pitch rate, but that also changes ride, response too.

I just saw an article in Motor Trend. Did you know that a Nissan GT-R rolls more than a Shelby GT500? But the GT-R makes more grip (let alone being faster due to AWD).

Quick Reply: fine tuning suspension and AutoX