Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Where to buy brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 12:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread is full of fail so far.

Corvette calipers on stock rotors is not an upgrade. The main advantage of the Corvette calipers is the casting, they are stronger, and do not spread as easily. Other than that, they have smaller pistons, which is not a benefit at all in our case.

My recommendation is to head over to www.stranoparts.com, and look at the brake section. Get yourself some of the ATE premium rotors, and pick out a good set of pads like Hawk HPS pads. Look into flushing your brake fluid out with a good quality fluid, and get yourself a brake caliper paint kid from the parts store. If you want to go a step farther, get some stainless lines and you'll have a VERY good street brake setup, without replacing your calipers.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up a set of ATE blanks for the front. They seem like pretty good quality pieces. Just got them though so I'm not going to sit here and say they will last me 100k miles like a lot of people do. They look better than any other rotors I've used though including Brembo blanks. Look like they should resist rust for a long time.

The corroded thing is my wheel spacer.
Attached Thumbnails Where to buy brakes?-002.jpg  
Old 07-28-2012, 01:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DarkblueTA
I noticed the above in bold. Of course they were crap, you got the 'standard' rotor. Top of the line blank or nothing. Standard rotors suck no matter if they're blanks or drilled/slotted/etc.
and this leads to my question: what is the top of the line blank? cuz this is what i am wanting.

as far as the ATE rotors, are these considered blank?? they do have grooves running around them and i dont quite understand the point of this. but are these gonna be the best "blank" rotor i can get??

and this may be a really dumb question but can you machine the rotors, down the road, that are grooved like the ATE?

Thank you!

keep the info coming!
Old 07-28-2012, 01:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tbird232ci
This thread is full of fail so far.

Corvette calipers on stock rotors is not an upgrade. The main advantage of the Corvette calipers is the casting, they are stronger, and do not spread as easily. Other than that, they have smaller pistons, which is not a benefit at all in our case.

My recommendation is to head over to www.stranoparts.com, and look at the brake section. Get yourself some of the ATE premium rotors, and pick out a good set of pads like Hawk HPS pads. Look into flushing your brake fluid out with a good quality fluid, and get yourself a brake caliper paint kid from the parts store. If you want to go a step farther, get some stainless lines and you'll have a VERY good street brake setup, without replacing your calipers.
+1 Excellent post
Old 07-28-2012, 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by benji's_z28
and this leads to my question: what is the top of the line blank? cuz this is what i am wanting.

as far as the ATE rotors, are these considered blank?? they do have grooves running around them and i dont quite understand the point of this. but are these gonna be the best "blank" rotor i can get??

and this may be a really dumb question but can you machine the rotors, down the road, that are grooved like the ATE?

Thank you!

keep the info coming!
I remember walking into autozone for my wife's Stratus and they had 3 types of blanks. Standard (obviously the cheapest), some middle grade and a 'premium'. Let's just say I don't skimp on tires, brakes or suspension. I left there with the premium and ceramic pads.

The rears have been on the car for 8 years and the fronts for six. I currently use the car for my daily driver and don't ride the brakes, but have had a few times where I had to 'stand' on them. So far so good and I am sure that in the next year or two, I will probably have to replace them.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by benji's_z28

Thank you!

keep the info coming!
I didn't realize the ATE's were grooved the way they were. If you're interested in non-grooved, if you go to the parts store, they usually give you 3 or 4 options for rotors, and typically, the best of the option they give you will be your premium blanks. A lot of people run the ATE's and love them.

Also, in this day and age, people usually don't bother with machining rotors. These days, they've gotten inexpensive enough that it's only a few bucks more to buy new rotors than to machine old ones. Either way, you can machine the slotted rotors.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Are most of you guys pretty much just daily/spirited driving?

Quick Reply: Where to buy brakes?