Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Vibration at 60mph +

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SS10Tech
It is worth mentioning that a wheel and tire balance does not check for wheel tracking - if your wheel is bent but balanced the machine will pass it, but you will have vibration. When balancing the wheel you have to verify the tire tread tracks true - if the tire track is not true the wheel itself is bent but the tire will be balanced on the machine just fine.

Held a straight edge to the inside barrel of the wheels, while spinning, all looked good.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

removed and inspected:
-rear axles, roller sleaves, wheel bearings, diff.

Everything looked perfect, good, and not bent
Ring and pinion backlash was with-in spec
no metal flakes or debris.

Today i spoke with Jim at Strange Eng, today. He was extremely helpful.

His thought is the preload in the diff. (eaton truetrac) is out of whack or worn from not being set properly.

So now I pull the diff, "USPS if it fits it ships" and ship it to strange.

His reasoning for this, is because if I tap the brakes the vibration goes away This means the brakes equalize the issue inside the diff.

Plus this will give them a chance to inspect why the diff has howled/whined since day one. I have a few other friends with the same rear set up, and its quiet.

Last edited by ibanez7; 08-31-2012 at 01:27 PM. Reason: wrong name type in. Jim, not Bill
Old 08-30-2012, 10:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ibanez7
removed and inspected:
-rear axles, roller sleaves, wheel bearings, diff.

Everything looked perfect, good, and not bent
Ring and pinion backlash was with-in spec
no metal flakes or debris.

Today i spoke with Bill at Strange Eng, today. He was extremely helpful.

His thought is the preload in the diff. (eaton truetrac) is out of whack or worn from not being set properly.

So now I pull the diff, "USPS if it fits it ships" and ship it to strange.

His reasoning for this, is because if I tap the brakes the vibration goes away This means the brakes equalize the issue inside the diff.

Plus this will give them a chance to inspect why the diff has howled/whined since day one. I have a few other friends with the same rear set up, and its quiet.
That sound promising. Let us know what strange finds out
Old 08-31-2012, 09:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Wow.. interesting.. Def keep us posted..
Old 09-03-2012, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

even though Strange is willing to assist with this.

I will be contacting EATON first before I send the TrueTrac to Strange.

I would like Eatons opinion first. Sadly their tech support guys were out of the office on holiday.

To bad I can not chalk this up as new DRs being out of round and throw on a new set.
Tires would be my conclusion if the vibration didnt go away when tapping the brakes.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been having a similar issue, I haven't tracked it to my axle but I think my car does the same as yours- when I hit the brakes at higher speeds the vibes will die down.

However I'm getting a light grinding noise at very low speeds, I need to go through all the possible culprits before blaming the newish strange 12 bolt though.

I just bought the car a month ago, and I'm already about going through the entire car trying to track this down.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nitroheadz28
I've been having a similar issue, I haven't tracked it to my axle but I think my car does the same as yours- when I hit the brakes at higher speeds the vibes will die down.

However I'm getting a light grinding noise at very low speeds, I need to go through all the possible culprits before blaming the newish strange 12 bolt though.

I just bought the car a month ago, and I'm already about going through the entire car trying to track this down.
ouch...

i'm hoping its something stupid like internal tire issue that you cant see from the outside, or even a bent torque arm or crapped out T/A bushings...i checked it once already, time for a double check... ARGH...

I still have not sent my diff back to strange or eaton, as I'm still not sold on the idea the diff has issues. Those things are bullet proof at my RWHP
Old 09-06-2012, 11:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you put the car on stands and ran it up to see if it still shakes? That eliminates the tires being out of round...you can pull the wheels all together and get it down to ds and rear...or the tranny. I'd be thinking tranny at this point.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:21 PM
12 Second Club

ive had this same issue i discovered my problem was tht the universals were bad....mine never clunked or anything but i figured for thirty dollars why not try and change them...tht was more than half the vibration tht went away

Quick Reply: Vibration at 60mph +