Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Moog mount-Bilstein shock

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Moog mount-Bilstein shock

How tight is the Moog lower spring mount when putting it on the Bilstein front shock ?

Gawd damn was mine tight, I just freshly painted the Bilsteins black since I don't like the yellow they come in and I had to wire wheel all the paint back off just to get the damn lower mount seated and then it was still very tough. I used a 2x4 with a hole just large enough to allow the body of the shock through and still hold the lower mount square as I hit the other end with a bfh against another 2x4 so as to not distort the end.

Does everyone else use a press or what ?

My front Bilsteins did not come with a dust cover but my rears did (painted it red instead of the baby blue they come) so does everyone reuse the factory ones when they take them off or should I have gotten new with the front shocks like the back shocks came with ?
Old 07-28-2012, 06:40 PM
Launching!

About to do the same thing w/ the bilsteins and moog perch.

Curious of how to get it on as well.

Bilsteins dont come w/ front dust, suppose to reuse factory or buy another boot.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

My lower mounts are on but damn what a job, I even sprayed the mount as it very slowly moved down the shock towards the c-clip as the bfh persuasion finally won out.

Thanks for the heads up on the dust cover.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:11 PM
Launching!

I just bought the moog dust/bumpstop for my fronts. (after reading alot, i found out bilsteins dont come w/ them.)

So putting some sort of lube on the shock didnt really help either? Thats what i was thinking of doing.

Last edited by WS6 What; 07-28-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

The spray lube didn't seem to help but I'm sure it didn't hurt anything either. Just make sure the lower mount is going on square and use patience, or a press would be easier.

I will check RockAuto for the Moog dust/bumpstop and see if I can find them, I'm interested to see how they look. I thought I did a lot of reading but haven't seen this topic discussed, but that doesn't mean I didn't miss it somewhere.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:45 PM
Launching!

Thanks, might see if my mechanic can help me out w/ that then. I dont have much patience. lol.

the covers look wierd i will say, accordion looking. They are plastic and not much to them. Not worth the price in my opinion. but keeping unless i find something better soon.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I reused the stocker dust boots. Had to replace one of them that got destroyed in the Delphi stocker shock removal, they are now discontinued parts, however ('02 shocks were not labeled de Carbon).

I had no problems getting the lower front shock mounts seated.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

To get the spring perch off of my stock shocks, I used a rubber mallet and slowly/evenly tapped them off. Tapped them on the new shocks with the same method then put that silver cap on top of the front shock. Still no issues to this day.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I find it interesting that the Bilsteins don't come with lower mounts, while my el cheapo KYB GR2 shocks have mounts built in. Which means when I get real shocks next year I guess I'll need to buy a pair of mounts.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DarkblueTA
To get the spring perch off of my stock shocks, I used a rubber mallet and slowly/evenly tapped them off. Tapped them on the new shocks with the same method then put that silver cap on top of the front shock. Still no issues to this day.
Kind of a ocd question, But when you hit the perch back down on the new shock, did it scratch the mess out of the shock?
Old 07-31-2012, 08:37 PM
Launching!

Any of you guys have the moog Dust/ bumpstop installed or have pictures of it installed? Instructions are junk, where does the bumpstop go on the boot? Instructions say zip tie it?
Old 08-01-2012, 05:58 AM
Staging Lane

I was able to reuse my stock stop/cover, on that setup the bump stop is inside the dust cover and the shock "hat" or "cap" hits the stop. So you have isolator, mount, dust cover, and stop bolted to the shock shaft.

If I could post pics for you i would but I have never used a hosting site, atleast I think thats how they do it here. If you need them shoot me a pm with your # and I can send from my phone.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:12 AM
TECH Resident

Ws6, yes, it scratched the shock a little bit.

Quick Reply: Moog mount-Bilstein shock