Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bottoming Out My Shocks....

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 02:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
^^^HAHA now that's funny.

My car went on a diet too, no more rear seat, no abs, no airbags, single exhaust instead of my duals, lighter fixed seats, relocated alt & power steering pump (no more big bracket), as well as some more things I'm sure I'm forgetting. I have to put it on the scale and see where I'm sitting.

I have 650# front springs IIRC, the rear feels just a little soft compared to the front, but not too soft. I have an adjustable Hellwig hollow rear sway bar set in the middle position, maybe that has something to do with it.
With a 650# front spring you could run a 195-200# rear spring and keep the balance close, assuming you got a good chunk of weight removed forward of the front tires. Its good you have an adjustable rear sway bar, if you up the rear rate you may want to start on the softer setting/forward most position. Since you already have 175 pounders give them a whirl.

160# rears felt quite soft to me, I would desribe it as dead soft. The 185# feel more balanced with my 600# fronts though shocks play a large role, the rears most likely did not have enough compression damping for 160# spring.

Do you plan on tracking the car?
Old 08-07-2012, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Kevin97ss
With a 650# front spring you could run a 195-200# rear spring and keep the balance close, assuming you got a good chunk of weight removed forward of the front tires. Its good you have an adjustable rear sway bar, if you up the rear rate you may want to start on the softer setting/forward most position. Since you already have 175 pounders give them a whirl.

160# rears felt quite soft to me, I would desribe it as dead soft. The 185# feel more balanced with my 600# fronts though shocks play a large role, the rears most likely did not have enough compression damping for 160# spring.

Do you plan on tracking the car?
Thanks man, I'll swap out the 150s for the 175s and see how it feels. I only have about 200 miles on the car since the entire suspension was redone and I'm still getting the feel for everything and making minor adjustments here and there. I still have a few thing to get to finish the suspension 100%, but that can wait until this winter.

I'm planning on tracking the car once in a while. There aren't a lot of events around here, but there are some. I wanted something different than whats done around here, lots of drag cars and the closest track is 3.5 hours away. I wanted something I could do everything with, but also wanted handling to be the first priority. My car will still hit the strip once or twice a year, but its going with the 315s on all 4 corners LOL. Miller park has an auto-X event a couple times a year, but that's 4 hours away from where I am, but I plan on going sometime. Also Road America is within driving distance and I know that gets rented at least once a year by a northern F-body club.

I'm not really concerned with getting it in an auto-x event this year, but next spring when I have a good feel for the car and all of the bugs are worked out I will be looking for all the events I can afford haha
Old 08-07-2012, 01:42 PM
TECH Addict

I still have all of the factory bumper supports, but MWC is working on a set of chromoly supports for the LT1 cars, and I'm planning on getting them this winter to cut a little more weight. Also the heater box and A/C condenser is going to get knocked out and an aluminum plate will be installed and I will be keeping my heater. I'm also going to trim out some of the brackets that hold on the rear seats and misc. stuff like that.

I need to get my car on the scales now and see where I'm at. I really wish I could have weighed it before I did everything, but it's a little late now
Old 08-07-2012, 02:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Burkhart Chassis has a nice front bumper support, it 's what I put on my car.
http://www.burkhartchassis.com/id83.html
Old 08-07-2012, 11:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Burkhart Chassis has a nice front bumper support, it 's what I put on my car.
http://www.burkhartchassis.com/id83.html
I have seen those before, but I'm going to get the MWC pieces. I got to see them in person and hold them in my hand, at about 4 pounds and perfect craftsmanship I'll get theirs. Especially after getting their watts link and their rear axle setup, their fit and finish is top notch.

I don't mean it as a bash on the burkhart piece, I almost ordered theirs, but then I heard about MWC making them so I held off.

Quick Reply: Bottoming Out My Shocks....