Torque Arm Help! *Pics*

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 05:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Torque Arm Help! *Pics*

Hola FBuds!

Tale of the tape:

Went for a spirited run for about 45min. Then while cruising home feeling victorious I hear this "bump" near my shifter when I accelerate with every shift. Mimics the same habits as a corroded Trans Mount. I baby it home pondering best case scenarios and most likely worst case scenarios. Next morning I jack up the rear and low and behold the TransMount still looks stout although looks can be deceiving. I then look to the Driveshaft to see if it is bottoming out on the rear of the T56 and there is about a 1.5inch of length showing on the yoke.

Then I say okay lets take a look at the MAC Torque Arm...

As you can see more then half of the Polyurethane Bushing that was inbetween the ears has completely disentegrated. The "arm" now has no bushing and complete knocks against the ears freely and mimics the sound I was hearing the night before.

What the hell would cause that? Pinion Angle? Bad Install on the T/A? Too much torque? Anyone familiar with this? Would appreciate any and all input Fbuds! I've always been a little skeptical about the 10+yr old MAC T/A as I know maybe one person in the Fbody community that runs it... Me. Primarily I think because it has so much material yet has no adjustability to it. I have a Global West Tracklink or a stocker I can install if need be, so let me have it!

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-15-2012, 05:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

10 years probably did it. While few may run it under the MAC name, that looks like the same design as the Jegster arm. While most say its noisy and a pain to install, it does what a short arm is supposed to. So I don't think its a terrible design it just may not be for everyone.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had poly bushings fall apart on one of my other cars a few times. The control arm bushings would usually last around 80,000 miles. I doubt anything caused it but age/mileage. Order new bushings and keep them greased. They're kind of a PITA to put in also.

Quick Reply: Torque Arm Help! *Pics*