Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Slotted rotors

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 01:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slotted rotors

Hey guys and gals,

I just bought some slotted rotors and had a quick question: what direction do they go? I've seen them on cars in both directions. I seem to remember seeing them on oem cars like vettes and porsches with the outermost part of the slots heading counter clockwise towards the front of the car.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-22-2012, 02:05 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NemeCes
Hey guys and gals,

I just bought some slotted rotors and had a quick question: what direction do they go? I've seen them on cars in both directions. I seem to remember seeing them on oem cars like vettes and porsches with the outermost part of the slots heading counter clockwise towards the front of the car.

Thanks in advance!
It's going to depend on the rotor manufacturer and design. In my experience, the slot should be angled toward the front of the car on the top of the rotor. However, there are manufacturers out there who do not follow this and have them face the opposite direction. Or, if you're an SRT8 Challenger, they face one way on the driver's side, then the opposite way on the passenger! haha (same rotors on both sides)

There are also internal vanes on a vented rotor. Sometimes these vanes are directional and will only create the correct vacuum when they're spun in the correction direction. Typically when this happens they have the rotors clearly marked.

Here is my GTO street setup with PowerSlot rotors.

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 08-22-2012, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

On brakemotive they told me it actually doesnt affect performance on theirs.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:43 PM
Staging Lane

Once upon a time, PowerSlot told me to install my slots on my GP so the outside of the slots point aft and the slots on the inside of the rotor point forward (totally opposite of that Goat pic above). I've seen other slot mfrs have them also "interlace", I believe they were DBA. There's also another slot pattern that looks almost like a Celtic Cross.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the responses! Mine are power slots so i'm going to go with the same direction as the goat pic. Thanks everyone. Will be installing tomorrow along with some Hawk HPS Plus pads.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:56 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Thanks for the responses! Mine are power slots so i'm going to go with the same direction as the goat pic. Thanks everyone. Will be installing tomorrow along with some Hawk HPS Plus pads.
If you look at the photo you'll see a small decal on there that says R for "right" rotor - which is why it's on the passenger side. As mentioned above, sometimes it doesn't matter what side they're on, so it's always best to ask the manufacturer what they recommend.

Keep in mind, PowerSlot is not longer the PowerSlot of three or four years ago. They're owned by StopTech now and have reformulated their metallurgy of their rotors and also the engineering knowledge behind them. If you don't have painted hats, you don't have the new PowerSlot design.

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 08-23-2012, 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 08-23-2012, 11:15 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Thanks for the heads up!
No problem. You should enjoy your new setup.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 08-23-2012, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

So mine turned out to go in the opposite direction of the ones pictured above. Installed and got some fresh royal purple oil in my engine. Good to go!

Next are the rear brakes. Do you guys suggest hawk pads out back too or just autozone it?
Old 08-23-2012, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

So mine turned out to go in the opposite direction of the ones pictured above. Installed and got some fresh royal purple oil in my engine. Good to go!

Next are the rear brakes. Do you guys suggest hawk pads out back too or just autozone it?

Quick Reply: Slotted rotors