Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What brake set up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 10:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What brake set up?

Hey fellas my car is in the shop, FINALLY! And doing some major changes. Long story short the car will be coming out making 600+. The car is an 02 z28 and will be pretty much having a total make over from engine swap to rear end.

Was wondering if I should just go with the big brake setup or would I be ok with upgrading my rotors, pads, brake lines?

Wanted to get first hand experience with different setups and was wondering what guys were running.

Thanks ahead of time for yalls info!

Last edited by mlbz28; 08-27-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:54 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Upgrading the rotors, pads, lines, and fluid can go a long way. I always recommend that people explore this option first, especially if they're not looking to hit a road course hard. The benefits of a larger "big brake kit" are increased thermal capacity, improved braking torque, and they look cool as well.

You can improve your braking torque by going to a more aggressive pad - I always suggest the StopTech pads because I love them. Thermal capacity will come with a larger rotor, which can be achieved by going to a C5/C6 rotor upgrade to increase the rotor size and leverage. You can't do anything about the looks other than put covers over the calipers...and then you will be made fun of endlessly. haha

So if you're just looking to improve your brake perforamnce, you can certainly do that on a budget. But, if you're looking for the total package you'll need to go to a big brake kit.

Should you do rotors/pads/lines/fluid:
Rotors I suggest PowerSlot or DBA.
Pads I suggest StopTech or Hawk HPS/HP+.
Lines I suggest Russell.
Fluid I suggest Amsoil, Motul, or ATE.

On the street, I run PowerSlot rotors with StopTech pads, Russell lines, and Amsoil fluid. I cannot suggest these parts enough and everyone who has gone with the same parts has agreed.

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 08-28-2012, 01:26 PM
TECH Junkie

I think it's misconcieved that your brakes should be a function of how much power you make. It should a function of how much hard braking you plan to do at a certain speed. If you make 2000 hp and are just trying to slow down from 100 mph between long intervals, then you don't need as big of a brake upgrade if you were on stock power and road racing slowing down many times in a row from 140mph
Old 08-28-2012, 03:18 PM
11 Second Club

agreed^^^^^^^^^^

Quick Reply: What brake set up?