Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bilsteins with stock SPRINGS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Nope, stay away from moog replacement mounts & isolators- compare side by side w/OEM and you will see how much smaller the isolator is on Moog's.
so what mounts and isolator then, my isolator didnt look all that bad but cant hurt at 170k miles on stock suspension
Old 09-01-2012, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by jrob56
I was considering the same, but also thought about some springs. SLP's eibach spring and bilstein combo are tempting. Any opinions on that combo?

Did anyone replace the strut mounts while doing the struts?
I put new strut mounts in - not knowing if I could save the old ones. Actually I used a saws all to cut the shaft just below the mount and above the plastic shock cover (whatever it's called). Turns out the mounts were not harmed in the process.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OEM, of course. I found none in the aftermarket that measure-up.

Originally Posted by jrob56
so what mounts and isolator then, my isolator didnt look all that bad but cant hurt at 170k miles on stock suspension
Old 09-01-2012, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

I used Moog mounts and isolators when I installed Bilstein HDs on all four corners about 3 weeks ago from today. They worked flawlessly. I'm riding on Bilsteins now with stock springs, and while the ride is not really smoother/calmer, it is a nicer ride overall because when you hit a bump, the shock bounds and rebounds once and it's over, instead of jostling you around for a bit after a larger bump.

Also, my car was a garage-kept low-mileage car for almost 10 years, and I've put about another year and 20K miles on it since I bought it. You REALLY ought to buy the mounts and isolators, because it'd be better to have them and not need them (especially if you can return them afterwards) than to need them and not have them (and you will seriously probably need them.)
Old 09-01-2012, 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP, while OEM are obviously going to fit, do a quick search and you will find that many of us who have changed to Bilsteins and other aftermarket shocks have had no problems with the Moog mounts. What didn't fit well were the storebrand mounts and I ended up taking them back and returned them for the Moog mounts.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

So I also need to find some shock mounts and spring isolators? I intend on doing the hose mod in the rear so I assume I only need front isolators? I'm a bit new to suspension stuff...

But overall, probably best to go with OEM shock mounts and isolators? My stuff has over 100k on it so it would probably be best to replace it.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bilsteins are the best daily driver shocks for our cars, hands down. Konis are going to ride like a track car, not always a good thing on shitty roads, and they're also a weight reduction mod to your wallet. I've got Bilsteins and stock springs with a coil cut. Rides fantastic. Bilsteins are a happy middle between race car stiff Konis and the '80s Buick ride the stockers give you.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:01 AM
TECH Addict

Take a Moog isolator and put it in the OEM shock mount -- compare that to the OEM one -- you will see what I mean -- they are too small.

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy
OP, while OEM are obviously going to fit, do a quick search and you will find that many of us who have changed to Bilsteins and other aftermarket shocks have had no problems with the Moog mounts. What didn't fit well were the storebrand mounts and I ended up taking them back and returned them for the Moog mounts.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:18 AM
TECH Resident

Take a Moog isolator and put it in the OEM shock mount -- compare that to the OEM one -- you will see what I mean -- they are too small.
Where can I buy good OEM isolators? Shock mounts too for that matter...
Old 09-02-2012, 12:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Adam86
If you buy both at the same time, which you should do anyways, you shouldn't have a problem with size going with Moog. Consider that GM parts will cost you somewhere between twice and three times as much as well.

I ordered all my parts from Summit, all were great quality and worked perfectly, and this was about a month ago.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:24 AM
TECH Resident

God I hope my stock crap is still usable. I'm pretty well exhausted of spending money lately.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:31 AM
On The Tree

I just bought some bilstiens. Hope to have them in by the end of the week. Cant wait.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:48 AM
TECH Resident

Like BluGruv wrote, the OEM are pretty pricey even if you can find them. Also, don't forget to get sway bar links. They are pretty cheap and you get them from your local parts store.

I've done the shocks on two cars - on one I was able to reuse the mounts but the car only had 76k miles. My current car had 100k miles and even if I could have reused the mounts, I thought it best to go new.

You're going to be real happy with the Bilsteins -one of the best/cost efficient upgrades along with good tires.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to do the same mod. My Z only has 56,000 miles. Where do I get the Moog mounts and isolators??
Old 09-02-2012, 09:47 AM
TECH Resident

Most decent parts stores carry them. The Moogs are a little harder to find and they may try to push the store brand on you but go with the Moog.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

Lightbulb

gmpartsdirect.com
partstaxi.com
etc.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

gmpartsdirect.com
partstaxi.com
etc.
checked gmpartsdirect, and had to wade through a few pages of front suspension. But when I did find the strut mount left and right it says N/A for MSRP and 0 for online price. So ***** either free or they dont have it. You got part numbers or a link?
Old 09-02-2012, 02:47 PM
TECH Resident

Here's a thread that gives the various part numbers:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ut-mounts.html
Old 09-11-2012, 07:09 PM
TECH Resident

Just installed them on all 4 corners and new brakes/pads. Unbelievable difference! If you are wondering whether or not it's worth doing this, just buy the shocks and see for yourself. The Moog mounts worked fine for me FWIW. Just had to ream out some of the threads and use longer bolts/locknuts. I'm amazed at how great it feels to be in this car now.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:34 PM
TECH Resident

Just installed them on all 4 corners and new brakes/pads. Unbelievable difference! If you are wondering whether or not it's worth doing this, just buy the shocks and see for yourself. The Moog mounts worked fine for me FWIW. Just had to ream out some of the threads and use longer bolts/locknuts. I'm amazed at how great it feels to be in this car now.
Congrats!!! Upgrading the shocks is one of the best, relatively inexpensive upgrades that can be done for F-Bodies.

Quick Reply: Bilsteins with stock SPRINGS?