Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

sway bar and shock ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 09:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sway bar and shock ???

i got 2000 z28... im thinking bout getting some umi sways 35 mm and 22mm.. what shocks would be good to go with these? will i notice a good diffance?
Old 09-05-2012, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by criticalx
i got 2000 z28... im thinking bout getting some umi sways 35 mm and 22mm.. what shocks would be good to go with these? will i notice a good diffance?
Shocks do not have to match swaybars like they do springs, they don't control them.
Im assuming you are going for a handling setup with the swaybars, so yes, you will notice a pretty huge difference with them over stock. Very well balanced (neutral handling) and the car will be much flatter in corners.
Search for shocks, this has come up countless times but in general:
For handling shocks bilstiens are usually the minimum as they are good with stock springs and much much better than the stock, or cheap stock replacement shocks.
KYB AGX are decent and adjustable, but adjust compression and rebound at the same time (not good for ride), and dont have the greatest build quality.
Koni SA's are on the high end of off the shelf shocks, but are high quality, rebound adjustable (fixed compression) and will leave your car begging for the next corner. Simply amazing handling, balance, feel and control.
Then there are even higher end shocks like KW coilovers or custom valved shocks like Penske or race bilstien.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

i want a shock that is good for street and strip.. i have look no real luck looking it up.. what kinda bilstiens ?

Last edited by criticalx; 09-05-2012 at 08:28 PM. Reason: kind
Old 09-05-2012, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by criticalx
i want a shock that is good for street and strip.. i have look no real luck looking it up.. what kinda bilstiens ?
How much street driving vs strip? How much do you care about ride or handling?
And those swaybars will not be ideal for launch, those are for handling. The rear will help launch better than the stock (19mm) one, but the front being larger than stock will not allow for as much weight transfer - many remove the front swaybar all together for launching.
As far as traction goes the big question is what tires are you running?
Old 09-06-2012, 07:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

handling more.. but honestly car runs great with 190k.. but car dont handle as good as my 96 trans am.. so i wanna start changing old stuff out with new up grades to make it handle better..
Old 09-11-2012, 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Was a awesome upgrade

Quick Reply: sway bar and shock ???