Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

awesome info from LG about G-stop kit (sarcasm)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So is it safe to assume there are NO issues with teh STOCK, OEM, C5 rotors, for those that have used them? I have access to a free set of C5 rotors with leas than 10k on them, since my buddy upgraded his rotors. (Baers but for less than $350 for all 4 from another driving genious who wrecked his Vette before he could put them on)
Old 04-13-2004, 01:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 30th TA 0219
So is it safe to assume there are NO issues with teh STOCK, OEM, C5 rotors, for those that have used them? I have access to a free set of C5 rotors with leas than 10k on them, since my buddy upgraded his rotors. (Baers but for less than $350 for all 4 from another driving genious who wrecked his Vette before he could put them on)

Generally speaking, no issues. Anything will break if beat on hard enough, but for street/mild track use, they will be just fine.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by trackbird
Generally speaking, no issues. Anything will break if beat on hard enough, but for street/mild track use, they will be just fine.
Yeah, but anything has to be better than the warp-**** stock F-body rotors!
Old 04-13-2004, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

True.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

My .02 cents (which has allready been stated over and over):

You can argue rotors into the ground all day if you like, but the fact is, that when the day is over, it just doesnt matter.

If you like the 800 buck pretty rotors, and have the money to replace them if/when they crack, go for it. Get some nasty-mean pads, and stop like mad. A bit dusty, but with style.

If you dont want to wory about cracks forming, get blank ones from autozone for 40 bucks, slap some nasty/mean pads on em, and stop like mad.

I am currently using iRotors with zinc plating. They are drilled and slotted, make alot of dust, and are pretty when they are clean. The end. I can stop like nobodys buisness with HPS pads, and Im sure that with HPs, it would be insane. If the rotors crack, Ill get new ones, and I wont complain, because I know thats just how things are.

And rotors on the exoticas wear out too, its just that their owners dont whine about a $3K brake job now and again on a car that is worth 100,000 clams. Its like us bitching about 40 dollar autozones.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2MCHPWR
i'm going to pocono for drivers education at the end of april. i was thinking of getting the G-stop kit which allows me to use the c5 bigger rotors. I've read good stuff about it on this site. so i just called (10:45am EST today) and the guy on the phone tells me:
-$1499 with c5 calipers and rotors
-$1299 with c5 calipers and NO rotors

that was way more than i thought since i've seen GP's for like $500-$800 depending on if you get calipers or not. So i asked how much without calipers since i was planning on using my stock calipers. the rep says I need c5 calipers. I said "no, the f-body calipers will work and they are intechangeable with c5 calipers". the rep said "no they are not. I am 120% sure they are different". I said "no, they are the same". so the rep said "good luck with that" and hung up. NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! am I crazy?
Talk to Lou directly. I called him a few months ago and spoke to him about the C5 brackets that he gets fabbed for F-bodies. He told me directly that it's up to me whether I use my stock calipers or get C5 ones. They are definitely compatible!!
Old 04-17-2004, 07:49 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mitchntx
...For the record, I went from OEM LS1 F-Body brakes to C5 to 4 piston Brembo with 13.5" Porsche rotors. The rotors are CD rotors ... but that is the only way they come. After a couple of hours of driving, the holes plug with brake pad dust. So, I ask again ... what's the point?
Weight, or rather, the lack thereof for an effectively larger swept area. At least, that was the original intention.

I thought you liked your Porsche brakes. Have you a different opinion now? I was thinking about doing the same to my car.
Old 04-17-2004, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By "What's the point" I meant the point of a CD rotor. Any cooling or magical off-gassing won't happen if the holes are plugged ...

I am very happy with my Porsche brakes ... I just wish they weren't CD rotors ...

Quick Reply: awesome info from LG about G-stop kit (sarcasm)