Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stock Torque Arm bolt removal - unique problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 10:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by szalkerous
Also, that upper bolt on the bushing clamp sucks. Just plain sucks. Barely any room to get up in there, and takes forever to get out with a single click of the ratchet. I did not drop the transmission, although we did pull the tunnel brace ti allow us to wiggle around the torque arm for clearance. I had hoped once I got it loose to be able to yank the arm out of the bushing, but no dice. Had to remove the entire clamp.
I agree, that bolt stinks. At least when you don't drop the transmission down, which I didn't want to do. Took me a little while to find a good technique to remove it.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:29 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Ugh, wouldn't the correct torque, some decent threadlocker, and a careful inspection every so often be good enough?

I must admit when my 10 bolt finally lets go, I'm not excited about the setups on those 12-bolts. A few people told me to look into the Dana 60 setup, but again I heard the axle housing on that won't fit my Fays2 Watt's Link...

Couldn't you just drill the rear end housing to allow through-bolts? Admittedly, I've never seen their housing so I don't know why they're forcing you to thread to it instead of through to a nut.

I digress....

Kevin: I'm very excited to try out this BMR torque arm!!! Since I need to keep it tailshaft mounted (I want to run a true dual exhaust), should I inspect the transmission mount? I have a factory mount in there now, and will be installing poly motor mounts soon... I was told to reduce irritating vibration to leave the trans mount rubber. Should I re-up a new rubber mount just to be safe, or is there a better setup I can get my hands on that isn't a poly mount?
Well, our torque arm isn't compatible with any rubber torque arm bushing, that I know of. The polyurethane is certainly going to be less susceptible to flexing, therefore it will put more stress on the tailshaft. If you're looking to run true duals, you can still use our relocation crossmember - especially if they're custom. You'll just need the exhaust shop to make it around the crossmember - it has been done before.

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 09-18-2012, 10:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto on the relocation mount. I made my own true duals and it was very easy to clear with the pipes. I think a tunnel mounted arm would be way worse because I had to modify my driveshaft loop. So I think the mount for a tunnel mount would be a problem, or u would lose some ground clearance.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
Well, our torque arm isn't compatible with any rubber torque arm bushing, that I know of. The polyurethane is certainly going to be less susceptible to flexing, therefore it will put more stress on the tailshaft. If you're looking to run true duals, you can still use our relocation crossmember - especially if they're custom. You'll just need the exhaust shop to make it around the crossmember - it has been done before.

- Kevin
Hi Kevin -- I was talking about the transmission mount, not the torque arm bushing. I will be using the poly bushing that came with my BMR torque arm for that.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
The rear axle housing, from the factory, has bolts that go all the way through the bosses that are cast into the rear end housing....
I was talking about the aftermarket 12 bolt.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I realized a few vendors have replacement bolts which are longer for aftermarket torque arms, so I ordered a set of those.

As for the bolts, there was no welds on the nuts. I ended up taking two heavy duty breaker bars (28"), finagling them onto the bolt head and nut, putting in an additional 3 feet of steel pipe, and having a friend turn one while I turned the other. This actually managed to break the bolts free after a long time of messing with getting the bars lined up with the socket while still being able to find clearance. Surprisingly, under all this twist, neither bolt broke.

Also, that upper bolt on the bushing clamp sucks. Just plain sucks. Barely any room to get up in there, and takes forever to get out with a single click of the ratchet. I did not drop the transmission, although we did pull the tunnel brace ti allow us to wiggle around the torque arm for clearance. I had hoped once I got it loose to be able to yank the arm out of the bushing, but no dice. Had to remove the entire clamp.

At least it's over with and I can get on with drilling out the factory clamshell and doing the install.
Take a longer bolt... Cut the head end off and make it however long you need to... Put it in and tighten it down (use two bolts on the end to do this of course)... take nuts off end..
Slide torque arm on and over bolt... Put nut back down and tighten on.

You no longer have to mess with that bolt, just taking the nut off, which is easy.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lemons12
Take a longer bolt... Cut the head end off and make it however long you need to... Put it in and tighten it down (use two bolts on the end to do this of course)... take nuts off end..
Slide torque arm on and over bolt... Put nut back down and tighten on.

You no longer have to mess with that bolt, just taking the nut off, which is easy.
That is actually pretty brilliant.

I think I'm going to get a torque arm relocation mount that replaces the factory transmission mount bar, which will remedy this problem anyways.

I want to take the stress off the T-56 tailshaft because I'm pretty certain this is why it's leaking between the gearbox and the tail. Otherwise I would do EXACTLY your suggestion, probably with some strong threadlocker.

Quick Reply: Stock Torque Arm bolt removal - unique problem