Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Founders Performance Newest Lower Control Arms!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 12:47 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Founders Performance Newest Lower Control Arms!!

MADE IN THE USA!

Founders Performance Performance Lower Control Arms 3 Piece Poly Joint

1982-2002 Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird

3 Piece Poly Joint Bushings

The control arm bushings found in the F-Body automobiles can have a significant impact on the vehicle’s ride, comfort, handling, acceleration, noise and vibration. When the car leans (i.e., rolls) in a turn, one side of the chassis moves upward relative to the rear axle, the other side moves downward, and the control arms must twist to allow for the axle to articulate. This causes the control arm bushings to bind. If this bind becomes excessive, it will raise the rear wheel rate and produce sudden, uncontrolled, undesirable changes in handling (e.g., snap oversteer).

Chevrolet minimizes this suspension bind by using compliant rubber bushings in both lower control arms. These relatively "soft" bushings help accommodate the necessary motion of the control arms during body roll. However, the rubber bushings do not provide much in the way of forward and aft support, which can cause wheel hop during hard acceleration and braking.

It has become common practice to replace the stock rubber control arm bushings with solid or two piece polyurethane bushings to resolve the shortcomings of the soft rubber bushings. Hard polyurethane bushings eliminate wheel hop, reduce axle deflection, and improve rear straight line grip. However, the downside of common aftermarket bushings such as delrin, steel, stiffer rubber, solid or two piece polyurethane bushings is they prevent the necessary movement of the control arms during body roll, which in turn produces significant binding in the suspension when the vehicle is cornering. The polyurethane bushings also place unnecessary high stresses on the torque boxes, which are the attachment points for the control arms to the chassis. Standard aftermarket control arms do not allow for rotation of the control arm during cornering because of the stiffness of the bushings.

The Solution:

We have designed and built a tubular lower control arm which will eliminate the unwanted uncontrolled control arm flex. Round tubing is harder to work with but has many other advantages over square or rectangular tubing. It is stronger in bending, torsion, and also lighter than square or rectangular tubing.

We then solved the shortcomings of the factory rubber and other aftermarket polyurethane and stiffer rubber bushings. This was accomplished this with our 3 piece Poly-Joint bushing combination. By spending countless hours looking and dissecting the geometry and the need of the rear suspension we come out with bind-free bushings set up. Our Poly-Joint bushing combination incorporates a very hard inner polyurethane ball which is surrounded by soft outer socket cups. This combination allows the bushing to articulate like a spherical bearing during cornering but the hard inner ball does not allow the bushing to deflect during acceleration giving you great traction during acceleration like solid bushings but remains bind free like a spherical bearing during cornering for great predictable traction in the corners.

Results from the testing:

Poly-Joint Bushings:

5 degrees of total rotation = 26.1 foot/pounds of torque

7.5 degrees of total rotation = 35.8 foot/pounds of torque

10 degrees of total rotation = 41.7 foot/pounds of torque

Standard 2 piece setup using only 85 durometer bushings:

5 degrees of total rotation = 124.7 foot/pounds of torque

7.5 degrees of total rotation = 156.4 foot/pounds of torque

10 degrees of total rotation = not measurable with fixture. The 1/2" grade 8 bolt twisted in half at 9.2 degrees which was 210 foot/pounds of torque.

THESE ARMS ARE SUPPLIED WITH SPECIALLY DESIGNED GREASE FOR OUR POLY-JOINT BUSHINGS.

Features:
  • 1.75" Diameter High Strength Steel Tubing
  • High frequency pulse spray welded for superior strength (stronger than tig welds)
  • 3 Piece Poly-Joint bushing on chassis and axle side.
  • Comes standard with specially formulated poly grease.
  • Standard Red or Black powder coating for a great looking long lasting finish.
  • Improves responsiveness and control.
  • 100% MADE IN THE USA

Fits: 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 Camaro and Firebird

For questions on this item please email us directly at salesdept@foundersperformance.com
Old 09-20-2012, 12:55 PM
TECH Resident

I like the bushings, however, do you offer them for adjustable applications? I hate my rod end suspension for street use, but I want/need the articulation over a full poly bushing. I also need the adjustability of my suspension pieces.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe I missed it - how much?
Old 09-20-2012, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

Would the bushings be available seperately? I've already purchased a set of the lca's from you guys awhile ago.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:40 PM
FormerVendor

We will have them available on all of our control arms shortly.

They are only $83.90 for the pair.

We will have them available for purchase if you want to upgrade your current control arms that have been purchased from us. They will only be available by phone.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:10 PM
12 Second Club

Just got off the phone with you guys and ordered a pair after having a couple questions answered. Excellent customer service. Let's see how the articulation takes to these potted and pitted PA streets.

My next purchase will be a set of LCA relocations, but I'd like to see the difference one change at a time.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RaggedRides
Just got off the phone with you guys and ordered a pair after having a couple questions answered. Excellent customer service. Let's see how the articulation takes to these potted and pitted PA streets.
My next purchase will be a set of LCA relocations, but I'd like to see the difference one change at a time.
I hope you will provide us with a report once you have them on your car for a while. I purchased a pair of the DKT Performance LCAs, because I was looking for the advantages of the "Johnny-Joint", which allows all sorts of articulation, as well as the ability to get the rear axle truly perpendicular to the car's centerline.

I ultimately took them off the car, as the roads where I live are way too rough for a "solid" joint...

(I don't recall how rough the roads are in WB, as the last time I was there was 1962. My father was born there, and we visited a few times over the years)
Old 10-02-2012, 01:31 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by RaggedRides

You can call us anytime and thanks for the order!
Old 10-02-2012, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Anyword on when you guys going to come out with a torque arm?
Old 10-02-2012, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered a pair and the relo's on Friday, hopefully they ship soon!
Old 10-03-2012, 12:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Planning on making adjustable LCA's with rubber bushings?
Old 10-03-2012, 12:01 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ls1wallen
Anyword on when you guys going to come out with a torque arm?
We are waiting for our custom molded cross-member bushings to get molded at this time. With SEMA coming up it's going to take Energy a little longer than usual to make them for us.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:02 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
Planning on making adjustable LCA's with rubber bushings?
Sorry but no plans on rubber bushings. We will have this bushing design in our turn-buckle style lower control arms available shortly.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Staging Lane

Would these bushings fit in a set of BMR LCA's?
Old 10-03-2012, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe I'm just dense (probably am lol) but what's the improvement of these over your original swivel joints?
Old 10-03-2012, 06:35 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SSsoSIK
Would these bushings fit in a set of BMR LCA's?
Sorry but these will only fit our control arms.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:42 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Maybe I'm just dense (probably am lol) but what's the improvement of these over your original swivel joints?
The swivel joint uses a hardened steel ball in the center and is captured in hard polyurethane for less compliance and these use a hard poly ball in the center and are captured by soft outer cups for less NVH compared to any other poly/poly control arm. These allow for proper articulation for great street manners during hard cornering and corner exit traction. If you are using the car for hard drag or road racing with some street use we would recommend the swivel joints and for mostly street use with light track duty the Poly-Joint would work best.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

OK cool. I'm liking the sound of that. Are there zerk fittings at all for greasing? Doesn't look like it in the pics, so how often do you have to take it apart to squeeze more of that grease in there? Sounds like you can't use standard chassis grease (like mobil stuff) for these?
Old 10-03-2012, 11:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Founders Performance
The swivel joint uses a hardened steel ball in the center and is captured in hard polyurethane for less compliance and these use a hard poly ball in the center and are captured by soft outer cups for less NVH compared to any other poly/poly control arm. These allow for proper articulation for great street manners during hard cornering and corner exit traction. If you are using the car for hard drag or road racing with some street use we would recommend the swivel joints and for mostly street use with light track duty the Poly-Joint would work best.
What are the "soft outer cups" made out of?
Old 10-04-2012, 11:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Founders Performance
Sorry but these will only fit our control arms.
These look alot like my J&M Hotpart LCAs.

Quick Reply: Founders Performance Newest Lower Control Arms!!