Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

anyone ever change the rear caliper E brake assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 07:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default anyone ever change the rear caliper E brake assembly?

we did my brakes last week and it turned into a big fiasco. my friend got distracted by disconnecting the e brake spring and got frustrated and ended up forgetting to tigthen the rear caliper bolts. now i have a new caliper, new brake line, another set of new pads, and i'm waiting on a used rim (the rim is just scraped up on the inner barrol, it's still useable for now)

anyway, i don't currently have the e brake assembly bolted to the new caliper as i don't really know how to do it and i'm waiting for a friend of a friend to do it. i'm about to say screw it and just take it to a shop. how much do you think they'd charge to remove the e brake assy from a used caliper i bought and install the whole e brake assy onto the new caliper? ( we lost the spring during a trip to Advace to have them try to put it back in so i had to buy a used caliper setup for $20 just to get the e brake assy)

also am i hurting anything by driving the car without the e brake assembly on the caliper? the e brake cable is currently zip tied to the subframe so its not going anywhere.

my buddy who disconnected the e brake assembly in the first place thinks the one off the used setup can be removed without taking out the spring (which is what caused the whole mess to begin with) but by looking at it i don't see how it's possible to remove the assembly without removing the spring.

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 10-09-2012 at 07:42 PM.

Quick Reply: anyone ever change the rear caliper E brake assembly?