Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What will be better for me, Poly or Roto?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question What will be better for me, Poly or Roto?

My car is a nice weekend and summer car but I still want the best performance I can get from it. My car is 97% street driven, 2% drag racing (at a track), and 1% road course (I hope to do a lot more of). I'm starting to do suspension mods (already started with some and are listed in sig) and I plan to use all UMI parts as I've used them in the past on previous projects and been happy with their results. What I'm concerned with right now is the rear lower control arms and the panhard bar. I am going to buy the on car adjustable for both the LCA and the PHB. But what will be better? I have read that the poly binds preventing some articulation and that hinders performance some but then again, the Roto comes with a tool to rebuild it. I'm sorry but if I'm buying something that you're already telling me will fail and I'll be out more money to rebuild/replace makes me nervous and makes the slight lack in performance from the poly bushing seem better due to longevity and reliability, but maybe I'm not understanding something. Just looking for some input. I will also be using their 3 point weld in's, STB, and their solid sway bar kit 35/22 which I will purchase in a few months. And I plan to do the front upper and lower in the future as well as a K member when the motor comes out so any advice for those future mods are welcome as well. Thanks guys.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:48 AM
TECH Resident

My roto joints were really noisy and clackety. If you are just driving on the street with limited track time I would just buy a poly joint. I ran the rotos for a year and switched back to stock control arms and poly ends on the panhard. It still handles nice, but it is quiet on the street. Founders performance has a new hybrid joint that is almost like a roto joint, but made of poly or rubber. I can't remember off the top of my head.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tool that comes with the roto-joint isn't there because the joint is going to "fail". As you put miles on the roto-joint, the delrin bushing is going to wear some, and the tool that comes with the joint allows you to tighten or loosen it - which allows you to take up slight slop from wear, and to set the joint tighter or looser.

I like rod ends on everything. They're not noisy until they need replaced (when they'll start cllunking), and they do transmit a bit more NVH than poly bushings, but it's not significant in an f-body.

Roto-joints are a lateral advancement of rod-ends - they can be rebuilt, so you don't have to replace the whole thing (rod ends are also replaceable, but cost more), and you can adjust how tight or loose you want the joint. They're marketed as something between a poly, with less transmitted NVH but significant bind in certain applications, and rod-ends, with more transmitted NVH but virtually no bind. Personally, I think they're a bit irrelevant, but a lot of people run them and like them.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:25 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Element
The tool that comes with the roto-joint isn't there because the joint is going to "fail". As you put miles on the roto-joint, the delrin bushing is going to wear some, and the tool that comes with the joint allows you to tighten or loosen it - which allows you to take up slight slop from wear, and to set the joint tighter or looser.

I like rod ends on everything. They're not noisy until they need replaced (when they'll start cllunking), and they do transmit a bit more NVH than poly bushings, but it's not significant in an f-body.

Roto-joints are a lateral advancement of rod-ends - they can be rebuilt, so you don't have to replace the whole thing (rod ends are also replaceable, but cost more), and you can adjust how tight or loose you want the joint. They're marketed as something between a poly, with less transmitted NVH but significant bind in certain applications, and rod-ends, with more transmitted NVH but virtually no bind. Personally, I think they're a bit irrelevant, but a lot of people run them and like them.
I had a lot of problems with mine. I tightened them up and took out the slack, packed em with grease etc etc. They never were right. Mine clunked right out of the box. I spoke with UMI and they said that as long as everything was tight and there was grease they should not make any noise at all. Ramey even offered to look at them if I sent him pics and potentially even looking at them if I mailed them in. I couldn't afford the down time because at the time I only had one car so I sold them on here and picked up some stockers.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm really wanting something that I can put on, make my adjustments and just kinda forget about and it doesn't sound like that may be the case with a roto end. I'm thinking the poly may be what I'm looking for. If many years down the road they start to come apart or whatever, I can always put a new poly bushing in...
Old 10-11-2012, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

Poly joints you still have to grease occasionally though. That's easy though.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i have 100% aftermarket suspension and it is all poly. Besides my front lower control arms they are poly/roto-joint
Old 10-11-2012, 12:56 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

First, the "joint" that Founders has isn't new... it's just new to them. And it's not actually a joint. J&M has been selling that kind of thing for a long time, but it's of not much good. See, urethane is sticky... that's why you need to lube it. When you put urethane on urethane, it's even more sticky. You can have 3 pieces or 8, is doesn't want to slide or rotate.

While one of those and something like a roto-joint or rod-end look like they'll work the same way, they absolutely do not. The latter two use metal ***** that ride in some kind of delrin or teflon lined plastic race, which do not bind. Roto-joints are serviceable, and have twice the bearing race area, which better distributes the load, than rod-ends... and of course rod-ends are not serviceable.

All poly arms will bind the axle in roll, that's just fact. They don't want to let the axle pivot independently from the body, so the body gets yanked around when you drop wheels in dips, etc. And when the body wants to roll it wants to unload the inside rear wheel more than if the axle was free to pivot (really the same as a rock crawling Jeep's front axle if you think about it).

Sooooo, I usually recommend a Poly/Roto-joint combination. The Poly in front helps isolate any noise you might get from the Roto-joint, the Roto lets the axle articulate properly and freely.

If all that annoys you... then I can set you up with some solid rubber 1LE rear control arm bushings, which flex better than Poly, are quiet, and cheap. But I would not recommend boxing the stock arms, because you actually want some flex for articulation and if you don't get it with the bushings or ends you are running then you want the arm to help you out. And fwiw, stock arms are not as weak as the appear. The chines on the edges stiffen those a lot.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-11-2012, 03:00 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
First, the "joint" that Founders has isn't new... it's just new to them. And it's not actually a joint. J&M has been selling that kind of thing for a long time, but it's of not much good. See, urethane is sticky... that's why you need to lube it. When you put urethane on urethane, it's even more sticky. You can have 3 pieces or 8, is doesn't want to slide or rotate.
The test result tell the complete truth about how well they work. Sam you can put your blinders up all you want but your highway isn't always the only highway. If the bushings suck as bad as you say they do, why Hendrix Motorsports would purchase them to use on some of the low budget rock crawlers they have built.

We also have a swivel joints that use a metal ball with hard polyurethane instead of Delrin. We along with many offroad shops have discovered that Delrin has bad wear rates which is why we don't use them. Theron Fabrication switched from Delrin back to polyurethane on the track bars they build due to high wear rates.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:18 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I've had both rod-ends and roto-joints. The roto-joints are quieter and more comfortable, yet still provide a similar level of articulation.

I currently have the on-car adjustable roto-joint LCAs (roto-joint on both ends of the LCA).
Old 10-11-2012, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

97% street car = stick with rubber bushings.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Latch
That 97% street driven is about 2k miles a year.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Undertow74
i have 100% aftermarket suspension and it is all poly. Besides my front lower control arms they are poly/roto-joint
Thats another thing I'm concerned with as well. I want my entire suspension to match. I don't want half my car to be poly and other half roto or vis versa. If I go poly, the entire car will get poly, and the like wise if I go roto.

Last edited by 94Z28-MSTGKLR; 10-11-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:02 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by Latch
Originally Posted by 94Z28-MSTGKLR
That 97% street driven is about 2k miles a year.
I drive in New England winter and my car has roto-joints.
Yes, I drive in the snow. And Salt.

Last edited by VIP1; 10-11-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VIP1
I drive in New England winter and my car has roto-joints.
Yes, I drive in the snow. And Salt.
Are roto joints not supposed to be subjected to bad weather conditions? I live in WA and while I try to aviod driving in the rain it's seems every thing stays damp even when my car is in the closed garage.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:34 AM
FormerVendor

Our Roto-Joint is greasable and semi-sealed but can get some moisture in it if not serviced properly. As with anything else on the car, proper maintenance will help extend service life. Fresh, high quality grease light and often is the best defense against anything getting into the joint.

As for not mixing ends on a car, we sell a ton of poly roto combos. It really is up to the purchaser as to whether they want to mix or not.

The nice thing about this business and hot rodding in general is we have a ton of options as do you. Some guys like all rubber and no noise, some go full rod end everywhere and most go somewhere in between.

ramey
Old 10-12-2012, 10:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Z28-MSTGKLR
Thats another thing I'm concerned with as well. I want my entire suspension to match. I don't want half my car to be poly and other half roto or vis versa. If I go poly, the entire car will get poly, and the like wise if I go roto.
This is a completely silly way of thinking.
Poly doesn't work well in some areas (areas like control arms that need articulation), but for things like swaybar endlinks and D-bushings they work fine (non moving parts). And honestly we know poly bushings bind, so I don't see why thats even an option for someone that wants to do more than just drive strait.
Rubber works very very well in most places, I would stick to that especially if its a street car.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

I was not a fan of poly on both ends of an LCA (hated it actually). I have rod-ends now, an dthey are only really noisy over expansion joiints or large bumps. Considering my exhaust is duals/dumps noise is not much of a concern here.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:24 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Like UMI said, keep them greased.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't mind greasing them up. Thats just genereal maintenance that can be done at oil changes. Unless these joints need $50 grease or something, lol.

Quick Reply: What will be better for me, Poly or Roto?