Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Installing Adjustable Panhard?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 07:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Question Installing Adjustable Panhard?

Finally getting around to install my panhard tommorrow. Took the stocker off tonight but after 15 minutes being sick with the flu Im putting the rest off until tommorrow. I bought a Founder's on car adjustable. I found this in my searching

"The best method for adjusting the panhard bar is to have the car sitting with the suspension loaded. This is best accomplished on a four post lift, but if drive-on ramps are all you have access to, then they will work. Put a nut or some small weight on the end of the string you will tape on the top of the rear fender. This will give you and accurate control and not a string being blown around by the wind. Once you have taped these to the top of the fender hanging over the wheels, measure the distance from the wheel to the string on both sides. If you're car is lowered, you'll probably find it favoring the driver's side of the car. Now, go underneath the car and shorten the panhard bar a little bit and measure the change. You'll want to get both sides to have the same length and you have correctly adjusted it! Hope this helps. It's something you can do easily on your own without a shop".

Any other suggestions, tips, or tricks that could help would be appreciated!

-Matt
Old 10-24-2012, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

nope that about covers it. Very easy to do. Don't make it harder than it needs to be. After my car was lowered I barely had to shorten mine at all.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:38 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mac62989
Finally getting around to install my panhard tommorrow. Took the stocker off tonight but after 15 minutes being sick with the flu Im putting the rest off until tommorrow. I bought a Founder's on car adjustable. I found this in my searching

"The best method for adjusting the panhard bar is to have the car sitting with the suspension loaded. This is best accomplished on a four post lift, but if drive-on ramps are all you have access to, then they will work. Put a nut or some small weight on the end of the string you will tape on the top of the rear fender. This will give you and accurate control and not a string being blown around by the wind. Once you have taped these to the top of the fender hanging over the wheels, measure the distance from the wheel to the string on both sides. If you're car is lowered, you'll probably find it favoring the driver's side of the car. Now, go underneath the car and shorten the panhard bar a little bit and measure the change. You'll want to get both sides to have the same length and you have correctly adjusted it! Hope this helps. It's something you can do easily on your own without a shop".

Any other suggestions, tips, or tricks that could help would be appreciated!

-Matt
That rundown pretty much covers everything you need to do to install an adjustable panhard rod and to adjust it at home. The only other thing I would say is to make sure you lube the poly-urethane bushings with a good quality synthetic grease but I am sure that is something you already know.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 10-25-2012, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd run it a little offset to the drivers side about 1/8" (if lowered +3/4"), because as the suspension compresses the rear will shift to the passenger side a little bit.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:06 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
I'd run it a little offset to the drivers side about 1/8" (if lowered +3/4"), because as the suspension compresses the rear will shift to the passenger side a little bit.
I could only see that being a problem if the tire tolerances are very tight. The idea is to align the body correctly over the rearend so it doesn't look goofy when it's sitting in a parking lot, cruising down the road, or at a car show. Anyone is welcome to adjust their panhard however they would like, but I wouldn't consider this an issue. Also, it will always shift to the driver's side under compression.
- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 10-26-2012, 12:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
I could only see that being a problem if the tire tolerances are very tight. The idea is to align the body correctly over the rearend so it doesn't look goofy when it's sitting in a parking lot, cruising down the road, or at a car show. Anyone is welcome to adjust their panhard however they would like, but I wouldn't consider this an issue. Also, it will always shift to the driver's side under compression.
- Kevin
Yeah, wide wheel/tires or low offset wheels would be a good example of that. Now as far as which way it shifts that depend on if the phb is lower/higher on the driverside, or if it's level.

(/ < lower, (- < level, (\ < higher.

Quick Reply: Installing Adjustable Panhard?