Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Is it recommended to get new springs for heavier LQ9 swap...or no?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 04:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is it recommended to get new springs for heavier LQ9 swap...or no?

Ok I just got my 421 LQ9 ... however being that its about 80-90LBS heavier... now that the car is apart, should I swapp out the front springs?

will the car sink down from the front a bit more?? I think stocks springs are made for 275lbs each. But I can get 300lbs or even 350 for $50 each.

I have seen 408ci LQ9's all over the place with stock springs and I don't think I see much difference. My car has an xpipe and in texas the roads are **** ...even at stock height my pipes have scratched ....so lowering is out of the question.

Thanks for info!
Old 10-31-2012, 04:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yo could get those bmr shock spacers that go between the shock and a-arm
Old 10-31-2012, 05:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ZetaVeinteOcho
Ok I just got my 421 LQ9 ... however being that its about 80-90LBS heavier... now that the car is apart, should I swapp out the front springs?

will the car sink down from the front a bit more?? I think stocks springs are made for 275lbs each. But I can get 300lbs or even 350 for $50 each.

I have seen 408ci LQ9's all over the place with stock springs and I don't think I see much difference. My car has an xpipe and in texas the roads are **** ...even at stock height my pipes have scratched ....so lowering is out of the question.

Thanks for info!
Stock ls1 front springs are 292lbs/in, stock LT1 springs are 310lbs/in. Stock 1le springs are 360lbs/in.
http://www.angelfire.com/my/fastcar/suspension.html

If I were you i would just put the engine in and see if you notice a difference. If you don't like the way it sits/rides, then change the springs (and shocks) out.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:45 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

The front of the car and how far it will sink down will be determined by spring rate. We've seen as much as an inch to as little as a marginal difference, so it's going to be difficult to gauge.

You may like the look of the sunken nose...most do, then perform the heater hose mod in the rear. If you need anything to bring the nose back up, we offer a .5-inch spacer that will bring the nose back up and they can be stacked or even cut if you need more or less.

Let me know if there is anything we can do, but I would suggest throwing it back together as is before spending your money on something you may not even need. :-)

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Quick Reply: Is it recommended to get new springs for heavier LQ9 swap...or no?