Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What would make me hook?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 08:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would make me hook?

Which setup would let me hook better on the street and at the strip, First option is Lakewood traction action lift bars, stock springs, and a drag sway bar or a set of comp. engineering 3 way adjustable drag shocks, stock springs, drag sway bar, and adjustable lca's? My car is a 430rwhp ls1 camaro and a 100 shot plate kit, plus drag radials!
Old 11-11-2012, 09:02 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Option 2 plus UMI relocation brackets. Nice and streetable with great traction.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:22 AM
TECH Regular

Okay thank you, I juss don't want to spin because spinning isn't winning lol. What does the relocation brackets do/help?
Old 11-12-2012, 12:35 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by WVhuggerSS
Okay thank you, I juss don't want to spin because spinning isn't winning lol. What does the relocation brackets do/help?
Relocation brackets change the geometry of the rear suspension by lowering the rear of the lower control arm. This creates anti-squat and promotes separation between the body and rear axle. The end result is tires being pushed into the pavement with the suspension more than it was before.

ramey
Old 11-12-2012, 01:19 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Which setup would let me hook better on the street and at the strip, First option is Lakewood traction action lift bars, stock springs, and a drag sway bar or a set of comp. engineering 3 way adjustable drag shocks, stock springs, drag sway bar, and adjustable lca's? My car is a 430rwhp ls1 camaro and a 100 shot plate kit, plus drag radials!
Give me a call...

The quickest and fastest f-body cars on drag radials and stock type suspension are using MWC components. I have a proven working combination for your car with the highest quality and guaranteed best prices on top of that.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:55 PM
TECH Junkie

A short torque arm will also help in your power range. Upon launch, the shorter arm has better leverage to hit the tires down harder to the pavement. This has absolutely helped me in my local event which involves launching from a stop. It's easier to control the wheelspin now... although if you don't launch high enough you will bog more.

Before I got my UE decoupled torque arm (which is basically the same as any short torque arm during accelleration), I would have trouble with the tires spinning throughout my launch. Now I just induce a little wheelspin initially and romp on the gas all the way through.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:58 PM
TECH Junkie

I also don't believe that new LCA's make much of a launching improvement compared to the torque arm. I'm not sure how they would... all you are doing is removing the "give" that the stock LCA's have. Besides fixing a wheelhop issue.. what's that going to do? I still spun with just the LCA change. The short torque arm at least has the whole leverage thing to prove why it works.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:59 PM
FormerVendor

We have short torque arms here:

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...ex&cPath=7_115

ramey
Old 11-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Launching!

Eventually you'll end up with all the susp. pieces posted above. They're all correct its just what order do you get them!! I started with a shortened TA then did LCAs, PHB and reloc. brackets. Also did SFCs at the same time. My car dead hooks at any track with MT DRs 275/50-15. If your budget can stand it just everthing at once and get some help on setting it up!! Just my .02 Larry.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MWC ftw!
Old 11-13-2012, 12:29 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I never suggest a drag sway bar to customers until they've installed a set of good drag shocks, tires, and a few various other items. Installing a drag anti-roll bar will essentially transform your street car into something a little more...classified. There's no way around it.

Once you have a torque arm, lower control arms, relocation brackets, shocks, then you'll need to see how the car launches. Make a journal of your shock settings and tire pressures. With that information, I can then suggest making the move to a drag anti-roll bar. Many cars don't need it, but when cars need it they LOVE it. Until you've gotten the baselines established, I consider the purchase of an anti-roll bar a waste of money until you've proven you need it.

I can help you set your car up from mild to wild, depending on what you're tastes are. I had a very similar setup as you're explaining and consistently pushed 1.48fts with BMR parts and no nitrous. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 11-14-2012, 12:08 PM
TECH Regular

Okay thanks a lot everybody, all this info really helps, and all the knowledge from the big guys chiming in too! Im going to upgrade my rearend(S60) and theres no reason for me not to upgrade the suspension too bc I wont be afraid to launch it hard now without tearing up something! So thats why I want my car to launch and hook! So it looks like ill be doing the torque arm, LCA's, and shocks at the same time and go from there! But again thanks Kevin from BMR, Ramey from UMI, Midwest chassis, and the rest of you guys for the info, Ill keep you all in mind when I do my setup here very soon!
Old 11-14-2012, 12:26 PM
FormerVendor

You're welcome WV. We all try to take care of our 4th Gen friends. It's all about the hot rodding.

ramey
Old 11-14-2012, 12:39 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

No problem, you're very welcome. I made the most of my 430rwhp and it always comes down to chassis, tire, and converter(if you're an auto) at that point. We can all help you make the most of it, and hopefully get you spraying out of the hole.

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 11-16-2012, 01:25 PM
TECH Regular

Haha yes its always about having fun, and yes I juss want to get the most out of this setup and try to get it pretty consistant even though its a m6, and once I get the good rearend and suspension and all that lined out then I can put more into the motor and really have fun!
Old 11-16-2012, 01:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Good luck getting consistent launches in the M6! I've been trying for years

Quick Reply: What would make me hook?