Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Shock sqeaks

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shock sqeaks

I have BMR 1.25'' drop and had KYB shocks all around (no problems). Koni had that sale and i order the on car adjustable ones. I swapped in the Koni and now i have a sqeak coming from the passenger side rear of the car. Drove it around for a bit, hoped it'd be lose and everything is nice and snug. I know its the shock making the sqeak. Is there anything i can do about it with out replacing it? Also when i did the shock swap I also added LCA relocation brackets and adjustable LCA and PHB.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:21 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pillarpod
I have BMR 1.25'' drop and had KYB shocks all around (no problems). Koni had that sale and i order the on car adjustable ones. I swapped in the Koni and now i have a sqeak coming from the passenger side rear of the car. Drove it around for a bit, hoped it'd be lose and everything is nice and snug. I know its the shock making the sqeak. Is there anything i can do about it with out replacing it? Also when i did the shock swap I also added LCA relocation brackets and adjustable LCA and PHB.
Check all of your connections and lower control arm bolts. While you may not have changed anything else at time, swinging your suspension down into a path it normally doesn't travel can grab some dirt or debris and start the squeak. Another think to look at is the isolation bushing for the lower bolts on the shocks. They don't require, but wouldn't be hurt by a small bit of synthetic grease. Check this stuff out and let me know what you turn up or if it solves your problem.

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 11-15-2012, 12:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still think it is coming from your LCA or pnahard. Mine squeak when weight is in the car. They only started doing it after I lowered it.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have any poly bushings in your swaybars or LCAs?
Old 11-15-2012, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

sway bars are stock. i have Control Arms- Poly/Roto-Joint. But if it was that, wouldn't both sides do it?
Old 11-16-2012, 05:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pillarpod
sway bars are stock. i have Control Arms- Poly/Roto-Joint. But if it was that, wouldn't both sides do it?
No.
One side may be over torqued, or not torqued down enough, or under greased. If its shock related then its likely the bushing between the shock and body of the car, not the shock itself.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
Check all of your connections and lower control arm bolts. While you may not have changed anything else at time, swinging your suspension down into a path it normally doesn't travel can grab some dirt or debris and start the squeak. Another think to look at is the isolation bushing for the lower bolts on the shocks. They don't require, but wouldn't be hurt by a small bit of synthetic grease. Check this stuff out and let me know what you turn up or if it solves your problem.

- Kevin
Got the car today. i stripped everything off wiped it all down and put it back together. Drove it and its gone.

Quick Reply: Shock sqeaks