Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowering Springs for my 2000 Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 12:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Yet more proof if you want real information, you shouldn't be relying on the internet..... *sigh*

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-21-2012, 01:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the Strano 1.2 springs. They got the car out of the air and left plenty of ground clearance, not a bad ride either.

Last edited by 1FineSS; 11-21-2012 at 01:53 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
It's easy to recommend the cheaper option.... it's easier to sell the cheaper option. And I never said the Bilstein's would be toast with 25 or 30k miles on them. I just said they always have less damping and around that time you will start to see the real difference for the long term.

I do recommend Koni because I believe they are the better damper. That's what I get for being straight up honest. I having to think I should just sell whatever parts folks want, and tell them what they want to hear. but it sure seems more and more folks only hear what they want to hear.

Man, is this frustrating.
Folks, this is exactly what I've seen Sam post on this site time and time again. It's hard to believe, it way, that there is still this much confusion. While it is true that you should not believe everything you read on the internet, or use it as your primary source of information, it is also wise to not let reading a message board on the internet get to you.

I recently installed a set of Strano springs with SLP Bilsteins and am thrilled with the results. I'll give you that the Koni's are the better shock, but there is no way I could drop that much money on a set. With the setup I chose, I was expecting the car to handle better. I was not expecting it to ride so good as well. Should have done it years ago.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I don't know if the "don't let if get to you" part was for me or not. If it was, the reason is does is that I spend literally about 1/2 of my time on the phone with customers debunking myths that are spread on the internet. And the issue is that a lot of folks tend to start to believe what they read (which is fine if there some supporting evidence to back up up), regardless of how little substance is there to support such claims.

Heresay is not admissible in court, and we all know how "fish stories" get blown out of proportion. It's just what happens. If I am honest and tell someone that Bilstien's have less rebound damping than Koni's, that then turns into what we have here.... Sam said they won't work, which then leads to folks being left open to what they interpret as being ok. Here we have a situation where the guy (the one who deleted his posts after being so adamant that's what I said) actually ended up on the same shocks, with rear springs that are stiffer! Stiffer springs requiring more damping than softer ones. So based on an assumption and a lot of conjecture, he ended up with something less ideal, and that's starting from something less than perfect to start with.

Seriously, next time you are out stop the next person you see getting out of a F-body and ask them what to do. You at least know something about them more than you know about most of the folks here...

And in case anyone takes this to mean that I am saying only my opinion counts. I am not at all saying that. I'm saying ask relevant questions to reputable vendors, more than one even, and see what the answer are. Do they make sense? Was there any information there relevant to what you want? I'm often asking folks what they want to change about how the car drives... and 95% of the time, I get "I want it to handle better" as the answer. Well, at that point I've got to make a choice. Sell you something that will "make it handle better" (which almost anything will), or try and figure out what "handling" means to you. And trust me it means different things to different folks. So it's best for me to have some idea what it is you don't like... not some pie in the sky idea of better handling. Yeah, I know.... we all want that generic thing. Different ways to get it based on what you dislike about how the car works.

Does that make sense???????

Zforce1--I'm very glad you are so happy with the results!

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-23-2012, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used Eibachs 2" lowering springs on my 98TA' i love the look and feel of them

Quick Reply: Lowering Springs for my 2000 Camaro SS