Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help me hook better on the street

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 01:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Help me hook better on the street

My car has been running for a little over a month now. It is on completely stock 130k mile suspension and I cannot get it to hook at all on the street from a dig. I am running a 315/35/17 Nitto NT05r in the rear. I have tried feathering the pedal some, airing down the Nittos, different stall RPM's, etc. Granted, it has been cold around here lately, but it seems others guys have no problems on the street in this weather. I would think that with as much tire as I have out back, and the 2.73's in the rear, I should be able to get this thing to hook pretty well from a dig. Tell me if I am on the right track with getting the car to hopefully hook up better.

Short torque arm (with a DS loop), LCA relocation brackets, LCA's, and Comp rear drag shocks.

Anything else one would recommend? I really need to replace the front shocks too, and if that will help me out more than another component I have listed, I am willing to pick up a set of those. I understand a good cheap(ish) combo is the strange shocks up front with the comp's out back, no?

The car will probably see the track a handful of times during the summer and I will have a drag wheel setup this spring which will obviously help as well. Yes, I am on the stock 10 bolt, but I have a spare to get me by if needed.

Any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:27 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The front shocks will do you wonders no doubt, but the surface temps and 17" wheels are not helping you much. The Comp rear shocks are ok, but that's just about it...ok. If you are looking for the ultimate in performance a good set of external adjustable shocks from Strange or Afco, and the right wheel/tire combo should put you right in the game. Along with a short arm, LCAs, and reloc brackets will be the the correct combo here and have been proven to do the job many times.

Give me a call... I have a discounted package deal for you on all the correct parts and unbeatable prices, along with the track and street experience to back it all up.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like a deal is in the making !!
Old 12-03-2012, 06:12 PM
Teching In

v6 springs in the back

don't forget about the PanHard bar once you change the ride height
Old 12-03-2012, 06:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AceBoogie
v6 springs in the back
Whats the deal with the V6 springs?
Old 12-03-2012, 06:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Are you saying you want the short tq arm, relos, LCA's or you already have them? If not, I had obvious differences in my launch when I put on my UETA decoupled tq arm, which is basically a short tq arm under acceleration. Damn that thing completely changed my launching characteristics.. makes it so much easier. In my driving event it requires launching on a street quality surface (or worse than street actually)

Also, what kind of launches are you getting? Are you inconsistent? Are you burning the tires off sometimes and bogging other times? I gotta think that 2.73 gears aren't helping. I run a 3.42 at my event and that's pretty low compared to most of the good drivers there... they all tend to go with 4.10's and they launch damn well.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Note that V6 springs they are talking about is for the 93-97 Camaro... the 98-02 v6 springs in the rear are identical with the LS1 springs
Old 12-03-2012, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

consider some better springs and a drag/sway bar.do you have a adjustable torque arm ?if so set for a proper pinion angle .
Old 12-03-2012, 07:03 PM
Staging Lane

If I'm not mistaken I've heard from several people that the nt-05r is an autocross tire. Lol I have NT-555r's and I couldn't spin a tire if I wanted to.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:52 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ssvert99
The front shocks will do you wonders no doubt, but the surface temps and 17" wheels are not helping you much. The Comp rear shocks are ok, but that's just about it...ok. If you are looking for the ultimate in performance a good set of external adjustable shocks from Strange or Afco, and the right wheel/tire combo should put you right in the game. Along with a short arm, LCAs, and reloc brackets will be the the correct combo here and have been proven to do the job many times.

Give me a call... I have a discounted package deal for you on all the correct parts and unbeatable prices, along with the track and street experience to back it all up.
Thank you for the help. I will have to give you guys a call for sure. The girlfriend is wanting to get me something for Christmas and my Birthday coming up. Won't be able to buy everything in one swoop though.

I am definitely interested in hearing what kind of prices you have. I wanted to get in on your recent deal, but wasn't in the position to pull the trigger.

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Are you saying you want the short tq arm, relos, LCA's or you already have them? If not, I had obvious differences in my launch when I put on my UETA decoupled tq arm, which is basically a short tq arm under acceleration. Damn that thing completely changed my launching characteristics.. makes it so much easier. In my driving event it requires launching on a street quality surface (or worse than street actually)

Also, what kind of launches are you getting? Are you inconsistent? Are you burning the tires off sometimes and bogging other times? I gotta think that 2.73 gears aren't helping. I run a 3.42 at my event and that's pretty low compared to most of the good drivers there... they all tend to go with 4.10's and they launch damn well.
My suspension is completely stock. This car doesn't bog on the street. I can blow the tires off from a 45 roll. I am running the 2.73 rear due to it being a turbo car.

Originally Posted by garygnu
consider some better springs and a drag/sway bar.do you have a adjustable torque arm ?if so set for a proper pinion angle .
All stock suspension.

Originally Posted by LT1TransAm
If I'm not mistaken I've heard from several people that the nt-05r is an autocross tire. Lol I have NT-555r's and I couldn't spin a tire if I wanted to.
Negative. The NT05r is a drag radial.

I know my biggest issue right now is the cool weather and lack of sidewall. It seems others are definitely hooking better than me around here though even on a drag radial. This small turbo spools so fast on the LQ4 which doesn't help either.

Thanks all for the replies and suggestions.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was under the impression street racing wasn't legal.lol no adj. Shocks on all 4 will be the best mod or the car
Old 12-04-2012, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Pimp juice sprayed/rigged from windshield washer bottle in front of tires
Old 12-04-2012, 03:42 PM
TECH Junkie

NT-05's are a 200 treadwear tire, decent for non rcomp tire classes in autox.

NT-05r's are drag radials.

Kinda like the 555's vs 555r's

I didn't realize you had that much power. I assumed you would be around my range about 400 hp. If your making BIG power, I hear the ideal bar to go with is a long torque arm. Although.. with that kind of power you may never hook on the street. It's similar to guys who show up to our spec drags events with their 600-800 hp cars. The issue is they can't put any power down anywhere.

Last edited by z28bryan; 12-04-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:11 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 9sectruck
I was under the impression street racing wasn't legal.lol no adj. Shocks on all 4 will be the best mod or the car
It's not...

Originally Posted by ragtopz28
Pimp juice sprayed/rigged from windshield washer bottle in front of tires
I would order some of that but apparently they don't ship it anymore.

Originally Posted by z28bryan
NT-05's are a 200 treadwear tire, decent for non rcomp tire classes in autox.

NT-05r's are drag radials.

Kinda like the 555's vs 555r's

I didn't realize you had that much power. I assumed you would be around my range about 400 hp. If your making BIG power, I hear the ideal bar to go with is a long torque arm. Although.. with that kind of power you may never hook on the street. It's similar to guys who show up to our spec drags events with their 600-800 hp cars. The issue is they can't put any power down anywhere.
Right, I have the NT05r's, the drag radial.

I honestly have no idea how much power it is making at this time.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Home town Clive,IA current town FORT BENNING GEORGIA

Car made 530rwhp on around 9psi (unlocked numbers) and spools STUPID fast. It's seen full boost as soon as 2800rpms before. I told him we need to make a VHT sprayer for the car
Old 12-15-2012, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I have an UMI adjustable T/A with relocation mount. I moved my instant center up and w/ 2 degrees of pinon angle the car is killer from a roll. Moving the I/C made a big difference for me.

Quick Reply: Help me hook better on the street