Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension knock, Shock absorbers

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension knock, Shock absorbers

Hi, about a year ago i had the lowering kit professionally done at a shop dropping it 1.5" in the front and 1.3" in the rear. Since then i hear a loud and heavy KNOCK in my left rear.. i have taken it to the shop multiple times and they have found nothing. they re-torqued everything, and still the knock persists. I even had them take it for a drive and they couldnt find out what it was, the springs were seated correctly and they even re-seated them just in case.. still a problem. has anyone had this, or have a clue as to what it could possibly be?

i am starting to think it could be a failed shock in that corner, with that being the case, how do i determine a sufficient shock to replace the stock ones. i want it stiff so i dont bottom out on every overpass, but not so stiff that i am riding on a skateboard.. hell no. lol just a tad stiffer than stock.

any help?
Old 12-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Staging Lane

Anybody?
Old 12-07-2012, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What springs? Stock shocks?

Stock shocks are bad to begin with, put lowering springs and they're even worse. You'll want Bilstein or (even better) Koni shocks.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

X2 on what he said ^.
Make sure the top nut on the shock is tightened down good, if its too loose you will hear knocking.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:54 AM
On The Tree

Well I just put a lowering kit on mine and the front passenger there's a knocking when I hit little bumps but he said its probably the sway arm bushing but I doubt that I'm taking Monday to get is check out again
Old 12-09-2012, 12:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
X2 on what he said ^.
Make sure the top nut on the shock is tightened down good, if its too loose you will hear knocking.
Thank you guys, i will check, so i will get koni's. is there a place that can measure my suspension or take my lowering spring size and tell me the best shock for the car or is it trial and error type of thing

Quick Reply: Suspension knock, Shock absorbers