Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Wilwood 6 piston vs Porsche 996 4 piston

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 09:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with the Porsche set-up then - I honestly doubt you would notice much difference.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:58 AM
TECH Veteran

All signs keep pointing that way but it's best to ask in case someone had a really strong reason to go with something else.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:30 PM
Banned

2001 camaro guy
i just realized that you are doing all this work on a Z4.
BHHAHHHAHAHAAHAAH
get a real car.
you will not be needing brakes like this on your moms car. what are you thinking kid.
it wont ever get turned over, much less actually drive.
if it does actually drive, all the research you have done = a slow car so you wont need brakes

you should have spent moms money on a real car
Old 02-05-2013, 07:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Ignore him. He's just some pissed off little high schooler. He was trying to sell a bare LS2 intake for $225 to which someone was going to buy. I kindly mentioned that SDPC was selling complete intakes for that same amount so now he is all butt hurt. At this point he PMed me

hey if you want to offer advice, why dont you offer advice and be usefull to everyone rather than trying to make someone look like a fool.
mother ******
and has made posts in a number of my threads like this just proving his immaturity. Children...
Old 02-05-2013, 07:26 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
Ignore him. He's just some pissed off little high schooler. He was trying to sell a bare LS2 intake for $225 to which someone was going to buy. I kindly mentioned that SDPC was selling complete intakes for that same amount so now he is all butt hurt. At this point he PMed me

and has made posts in a number of my threads like this just proving his immaturity. Children...
If he keeps following you around insulting you, send me a PM. I've seen what he's done in other sections, so if he does it anymore, he's outta here.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Will do.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW, the POS pictured in my sig tips the scales @ 2850. I've got the Wilwood 4 piston dynalite calipers in front, with 12" Wilwood rotors. The calipers have about the same pad area as the Porsche calipers you got, and they are pretty damned grippy as is, with the stock pads supplied by Wilwood. So, I think you'll be fine.

As others have said, a change in pad compound can make all the difference in the world. I've got blank directional rotors and EBC YellowStuff pads waiting for my next track day. We'll see how they work, eh?

So, x2 on the "Test what you got and adjust from there" sentiment.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1981TA
FWIW, the POS pictured in my sig tips the scales @ 2850. I've got the Wilwood 4 piston dynalite calipers in front, with 12" Wilwood rotors. The calipers have about the same pad area as the Porsche calipers you got, and they are pretty damned grippy as is, with the stock pads supplied by Wilwood. So, I think you'll be fine.

As others have said, a change in pad compound can make all the difference in the world. I've got blank directional rotors and EBC YellowStuff pads waiting for my next track day. We'll see how they work, eh?

So, x2 on the "Test what you got and adjust from there" sentiment.
Currently I have the factory BMW calipers (which are painfully under sized).

How do you like the dynalites? Do those have dust seals?

I remember there used to be a big debate over Wilwood not using dust seals and the possibility of needing regular cleaning/servicing to prevent premature wear (this is another reason I'm 'cautious' of the Wilwood calipers).
Old 02-06-2013, 06:39 PM
Banned

i find it funny that you cant post anything else to defend the fact that you are a complete moron son.
keep using copy and past and have the same come back. im sure they will teach you about other computer functions when you get to high school
i actually wish you would post all the material i have sent you so everyone knows how you got slapped in the face like a girl
Old 02-06-2013, 07:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by titleist
i find it funny that you cant post anything else to defend the fact that you are a complete moron son.
keep using copy and past and have the same come back. im sure they will teach you about other computer functions when you get to high school
i actually wish you would post all the material i have sent you so everyone knows how you got slapped in the face like a girl
copied and pasted
Old 02-07-2013, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I haven't had any problems with the lack of dust seals, but keep in mind my car is not a DD and I've only put 1500 miles on it since the build. My guess is that I'd simply spray the piston area with brake cleaner before backing them off for new pads. Plus - I'm just theorizing here, no basis in observation or research - perhaps they don't have seals because of the intended severe duty and high temps they may experience with track use. Seals may melt or otherwise fail. Wilwood may also be factoring in the closer attention an average car modder/enthusiast places on their brakes. At the same time, factory calipers have decades of relatively low impact use and neglect that needs to be factored in. Dunno. Like I said, theorizing.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by titleist

Oops...
Old 02-07-2013, 08:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1981TA
I haven't had any problems with the lack of dust seals, but keep in mind my car is not a DD and I've only put 1500 miles on it since the build. My guess is that I'd simply spray the piston area with brake cleaner before backing them off for new pads. Plus - I'm just theorizing here, no basis in observation or research - perhaps they don't have seals because of the intended severe duty and high temps they may experience with track use. Seals may melt or otherwise fail. Wilwood may also be factoring in the closer attention an average car modder/enthusiast places on their brakes. At the same time, factory calipers have decades of relatively low impact use and neglect that needs to be factored in. Dunno. Like I said, theorizing.
Hmm, I can see/agree with all of your points as plausible.

I have never actually found any hard evidence that the Wilwood's lack of external seals causes a problem. It has always been a theory (now that I think about it, it has been quite a while since the last time I even heard the argument).

I wouldn't think the external seals on the Porsche would be "damaged" since I know people can take a stock Porsche, slap new pads on, and go race it hard.

At this point, I'd assume that Wilwood probably doesn't see a real gain. As you mentioned, most people who would buy Wilwood calipers for their toy are more likely to do extra, regular, maintenance.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Wilwoods 6-piston superlights on my fronts for 30k miles now, I don't really make it a point to clean them religiously and purposely bought them for better stopping power.
At the time when I bought them from Precision Brakes, they only had a 28mm thick 2-pc 13" rotor available which I am now going to go with their 14" rotors that are 1-1/2 inches thick, more durable than the smaller rotors.

They stop like a ************, can out brake any of my friends f-bodies and though they got more hp than I do, I can leave them behind and I'm running on the BFG KDW's, not exactly what one would call a real sticky tire.

Havent had the need to rebuild the calipers yet, no leaks, pretty solid brake calipers and they stop way better than than I ever hoped for.

Quick Reply: Wilwood 6 piston vs Porsche 996 4 piston