Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension for cheap mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Suspension for cheap mods

So I know I will not be able to calm my desire to mod my car even though it is not a top priority right now (getting married and buying a house at the top) so I have been thinking about "cheaper" mods, i.e. no H/C, built trans, etc. So I think suspension would be a logical choice. Current suspension setup on the car is as follows:
-Founders STB
-UMI boxed weld in SFC's
-UMI adjustable PHB (poly ends)
-BMR chomemoly adjustable LCA's (poly ends)
-Stock 16" wheels, 245/50R16 tires, stock springs, stock shocks, stock sway bars, stock torque arm, etc

Possible changes to suspension (part #'s from WS6Store):
-UMI Solid Front and Rear Sway Bar Kit [211213]
-UMI Driveshaft Safety Loop - LT Header Setup [2025]
-UMI Adjustable Transmission Mount Torque Arm [2205]
-UMI Torque Arm Relocation Kit - Automatic [2208]
-Bilstein HD Shock Package (Set of 4) [BILPKG]
-Keep stock springs
-Maybe a wheel/tire package (17x9 with 275's on all 4)
-Brakes?

How does that sound to you suspension experienced guys? Would it better to save up all those parts and install them all at the same time or in what order should they be installed? At what point would an alignment or any other suspension type service need done?
Old 12-19-2012, 01:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this all for just a daily driver setup? Any plans of doing racing somewhat regularly? Depending on your driving application, I will have some recommendations. My recommendations may be controversial but they are just my .02 cents. I daily drove my z28 for about 6 years and have been racing it in autox and spec drags events, so I like to think I'm good reference for this type of information
Old 12-19-2012, 01:11 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS-ONE_DAY
So I know I will not be able to calm my desire to mod my car even though it is not a top priority right now (getting married and buying a house at the top) so I have been thinking about "cheaper" mods, i.e. no H/C, built trans, etc. So I think suspension would be a logical choice. Current suspension setup on the car is as follows:
-Founders STB
-UMI boxed weld in SFC's
-UMI adjustable PHB (poly ends)
-BMR chomemoly adjustable LCA's (poly ends)
-Stock 16" wheels, 245/50R16 tires, stock springs, stock shocks, stock sway bars, stock torque arm, etc

-Keep stock springs
-Brakes?

How does that sound to you suspension experienced guys? Would it better to save up all those parts and install them all at the same time or in what order should they be installed? At what point would an alignment or any other suspension type service need done?
This is highly controversial! I do love the UMI flavor to your list of course.

I'd personally enjoy the Bilsteins and UMI sways as a first step.

ramey
Old 12-19-2012, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Is this all for just a daily driver setup? Any plans of doing racing somewhat regularly? Depending on your driving application, I will have some recommendations. My recommendations may be controversial but they are just my .02 cents. I daily drove my z28 for about 6 years and have been racing it in autox and spec drags events, so I like to think I'm good reference for this type of information
It's not my daily driver but it's not a race car either. It will be 95+% street car the remaining 5-% will be drag strip. I drive it about once a week. I would like to take it on some longer cruises though. I want something that will give me as much performance as I can get without degrading ride quality much more than it is right now, although I'm sure I'd get used to it as long as it wasn't so bad that it felt like I was going to break my back.

I understand that everybody's recommendations will be different, modding is all about personal preference and all that, but for a higher than stock performing street car how does that all sound?

I want to keep to one manufacturer as much as I can so that's why there is all the UMI parts. I got the BMR LCA's new off a friend for $100 cheaper than retail because he sold his car before putting them on and because the STB may not do anything I went with the cheapest one I could find
Old 12-19-2012, 02:42 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I'm with Ramey. I'd start with shocks and bars. The other stuff isn't handling or day to day driveability related. FWIW, I carry the full UMI line, including their bars. I also have my hollow bars which aren't much more and are significantly lighter. I carry Bilstein's too.

I'll be honest and tell you that it's hard to recommend things without a better idea of what you dislike and want to improve. It's like going to the doctor and saying "I want to feel better", but not mentioning why you feel badly. And parts are like pills, you use certain ones to do certain things......

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-20-2012, 09:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS-ONE_DAY
-Keep stock springs
-Brakes?
This is just my opinion on the above for someone who daily drives but wants some improved handling and launching ability. I definitely believe in only doing one part at a time and adding parts where you want to fix something. You end up saving money and not tossing on parts that certain stock parts are more than adequate of doing the job.

I always saw the driveshaft safety loop as something bigger powered cars want for drag strip safety and to pass certain inspections. If you dont see yourself getting more serious into drag racing in the future, I'd skip this.

I've been on my stock torque arm for a while and put some decent stress on it. I autoxed and did the local spec drags for a while with this. I eventually switched to a different arm to get more anti squat for launching. It def helped. Someone may disagree but for your application I'd start with the stock torque arm. Change it if you experience wheel or brake hop or need more launch traction.

Brakes.. def give your stock system a refresh. New fluid, clean regrease the caliper pins, new brake hardware. Then if you want to save money, go with like a Hawk HPS and some good rotors. You can get a LOT out of stock brakes.

I like at least a 17x9 with a 275 all around on these cars at minimum for look and to decrease the rollover a little compared to the stock sizes. Since you have a TA, you could probably put in a 36mm offset 17X11 in the back with a 315 with no modification. You can retain the stock lugs in this case since you dont need a spacer.

Bilstiens and stock springs great choice! Along with the UMI bars. These few things will have the greatest effect on handling compared to what other people think actually helps.

Quick Reply: Suspension for cheap mods