Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowering springs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 07:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering springs?

What are good lowering springs that will drop my 98' TA about 1-1.5" anyone running the Bmr's? Mostly street driven car with a few 1/4 mile passes!
Any pics on a TA would be helpful.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:10 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Here are a couple pictures of LS1 T/As that have our BMR lowering springs installed on them. If you have any questions or if there is something I can help you out with let me know.

Kyle
Attached Thumbnails Lowering springs?-4841024142_18944c6ec4_z.jpg   Lowering springs?-5190887195_dc626ab6d3_z.jpg   Lowering springs?-ws6_sp001.jpg   Lowering springs?-ws6_sp001_2.jpg  

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 12-21-2012, 12:22 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Strano Springs were developed in part to help get power down. The original reason was because for what I do, we do a little drag race starts (on unprepped, no VHT having surfaces) then dig out of corners in the meat of 2nd gear while turning. Also I live it, drive it, and the shop is in Western PA where the roads aren't perfect. All of those reasons led me to rear springs that aren't super stiff which benefits the ride and helps plant the power as well.

I've got customers in the 1.6's on pure handling setups on these springs, one who has the springs and Koni shocks but does some drag specific things like slicks, removes the front bar, etc, in the 1.4's. So they can launch, and the handling is proven out in competition too. Most here run them on the street, but I've won National Championships on them too.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 12-21-2012, 08:15 PM
TECH Resident

How much affect on the front with the addition of a iron block 100lbs more roughly?
Sam how close to a consistant 1.2" drop will i see i seen a few guys that did not see that much with them?
Old 12-22-2012, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ill be running BMR lowering springs on my Trans Am
Old 12-22-2012, 08:21 PM
Teching In

Here is mine. Im not sure how much of a drop but it is definitely a BMR suspension and hugs the road.

Last edited by thailam5; 12-22-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Hotchkis doesn't get discussed here much, or not as much as I think they should be.. but A lot of people run Strano's and they get amazing reviews.

There's such a tight competition between Hotchkis, Strano and BMR now. All of their spring rates are close, and it's gotten to the point where they are down to comparing the metals of the springs.

BMR seems to have recently revamped their springs (Last 2 years or so) and they're being run on STI killer now... But Strano has a LOT of R&D into his and uses a very specific metal and I believed are only produced in Germany because of it.

So this is gonna be a tight "race" if you will.

I'm on Eibachs still and can't stand em. They ride like pure ****. I was torn between Hotchkis and Strano springs which are very similar. A buddy was on Hotch/Koni DA's and he loved it.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 12-22-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

It seems most guys are on Strano's or Bmr's now to chose between them!
Old 12-23-2012, 08:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 6togo
It seems most guys are on Strano's or Bmr's now to chose between them!
Indeed - The Stranos and the BMR's are almost the exact same spring now that BMR changed their's. I'm running Strano's on mine.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

BMRs here also

Old 12-23-2012, 01:05 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by ZForce1
Indeed - The Stranos and the BMR's are almost the exact same spring now that BMR changed their's. I'm running Strano's on mine.

And that's exactly what was the intent was... Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. But that's not true, the rear springs rates (the quoted rates) are some 7% different. I've seen some test on here where someone checked them and they varied by much more than 2% of the quote rate on the rears, but I can't remember who posted that, it didn't last long as most things don't when they don't shine things in a good light some some people.

Saying they are almost exactly the same is like comparing a Snap-on or Matco wrench to a Harbor Freight tool. I will gladly let you know who is making mine, and why. I also know who makes theirs, because they've been here to see me trying to get me to let them make my springs... I refuse because if not a name *I* know, I'm certainly not going to try and save a few bucks on the front end. And I'd never dream of copying another vendor's product... especially if I claimed for years and years that the old stuff was "the BEST". If that was true, why did they change? Or was a smoke show?
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 12-23-2012, 01:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

From what I understand both BMR and Strano are both great! With that said I have my heart set on some Bilstiens and as far as the springs go, i'll go with whichever company works the best deal, and has the best overall customer service. I really don't think you can go wrong with either choice from what i've heard and seen
Old 12-23-2012, 02:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
And that's exactly what was the intent was... Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. But that's not true, the rear springs rates (the quoted rates) are some 7% different. I've seen some test on here where someone checked them and they varied by much more than 2% of the quote rate on the rears, but I can't remember who posted that, it didn't last long as most things don't when they don't shine things in a good light some some people.

Saying they are almost exactly the same is like comparing a Snap-on or Matco wrench to a Harbor Freight tool. I will gladly let you know who is making mine, and why. I also know who makes theirs, because they've been here to see me trying to get me to let them make my springs... I refuse because if not a name *I* know, I'm certainly not going to try and save a few bucks on the front end. And I'd never dream of copying another vendor's product... especially if I claimed for years and years that the old stuff was "the BEST". If that was true, why did they change? Or was a smoke show?
Right - I've read in places that there was some attempt at immitation here, but I didn't want to come right out and say it without really knowing. And I certainly appreciate the emphasis on quality.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:56 PM
TECH Resident

My only concern with either is the amount of drop i seen some Bmr's that look lower than they claim and some not. I also seen the Strano's look like they did not lower the car much at all or any. I know ever car varies to some degree but if they say 1.25" thats what i would like to have and no lower. I will probably go with bilstein's also to keep within budget!
Old 12-23-2012, 07:23 PM
Launching!

I have seen a great deal of ride hight variation in F-bodies. Mine was extremely high factory - a good 4 1/2" from the top of the tire to the fender. I have also seen SS cars that looked only a tiny bit higher than others do with lowering springs.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:32 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a big fan of BMR and their products. That being said, I've spent countless hours researching this exact topic and you'll find people who get different results with the same springs regardless of the manufacturer. Everybodies set up is a little bit different. Regardless of how cool you car looks, you never feel cool when you lose plain and simple, and the general census is that the Stranos just perform better, period. I'm not saying you should just take my word for it, the information is out there to be had. I'm just sayin it's worth giving Sam a call on the phone. Also, I'm no suspension engineer, but it seems to me if you put some springs on, and still want to go a little lower, can't you just do the heater hose mod to make up that extra distance? Or does that have an undesired effect I am not aware of?
Old 12-23-2012, 07:40 PM
Banned

I am a long time Strano customer, before BMR was making springs for these cars so I support Sam's product. BMR does make a quality product so dont let quality be factor in your decision between the two. I will recommend Sam's package due to his experiance and one on one customer service. BMR has great customer service as well and make a spring rate that pleases most drivers. Again, I support both Strano and BMR.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 6togo
What are good lowering springs that will drop my 98' TA about 1-1.5" anyone running the Bmr's? Mostly street driven car with a few 1/4 mile passes!
Any pics on a TA would be helpful.
I have eibachs and love em. very easy to install!! and i have gone 1.5 60 foots with those and bilstien shocks. but whatever you do stay away from hotchkis. they are a bad design in my opinion. they have way to many coils and are hard to install.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:01 PM
TECH Veteran

^ Not quite dude.. You got it a little backwards. Eibachs are junk.. I have a set with Bilsteins and they ride like ****. Not to mention the backs sag over time giving you a reverse rake. Had em in since 2006. Swapping for Hotchkis and Konis. Buddy had a set with Hotch/Konis and he loved it. They're a similar spring rate to Stranos but are a touch lower.

Strano's: 550/100-150 F/R
Hotchkis: 525/100-140 F/R
BMR: 550/160 F/R

Eibach doesn't even advertise their rates... nor are they a sponsor on here.. Shows how much they care to improve or defend their products. (Surprised Hotchkis isn't on here)

Last edited by bayer-z28; 12-23-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
^ Not quite dude.. You got it a little backwards. Eibachs are junk.. I have a set with Bilsteins and they ride like ****. Not to mention the backs sag over time giving you a reverse rake. Had em in since 2006. Swapping for Hotchkis and Konis. Buddy had a set with Hotch/Konis and he loved it. They're a similar spring rate to Stranos but are a touch lower.

Strano's: 550/100-150 F/R
Hotchkis: 525/100-140 F/R
BMR: 550/160 F/R

Eibach doesn't even advertise their rates... nor are they a sponsor on here.. Shows how much they care to improve or defend their products. (Surprised Hotchkis isn't on here)
everybody seems to bash on them. i honestly like the way they perform and install. when i did the hotchkis springs instal was a bitch. it took forever to find the right compressor because they use an unnecessary amount of coils on the front springs. but its just my opinion. i like the eibach n bilstien combo. handle great and my car hooks at the track. overall i like em. and i never had an issue with the rear sagging.

Quick Reply: Lowering springs?