Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Narrowing front track width.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Narrowing front track width.

hey guys i'm trying to narrow the front track width of my 4th gen t/a about 2" per side. I found the PA control arms that will narrow 1" per side and i've heard rumor of the 3rd gen spindle being worth another inch. Is there any truth to this? Just trying to tuck the wheels I want in correctly.

Mike
Old 12-27-2012, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe you can narrow it by two inches without a problem.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You cam probably get that by going with some UMI front upper arms that are designed to allow more caster and negative camber adjustment. Using a set of these will allow you to move the lower A-arms inward a good amount and still have a very streetable front-end alignment.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:06 PM
11 Second Club

bump.. anyone with experience?
Old 01-07-2013, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had some GlobalWest upper arms on my car before and had to have my lower A-arms moved inward all the way to get my negative camber under 1*, and it pulled the wheels in at least 1". This was with the stock lower A-arms and K-member, so if you have a tubular K-member you should be able to pull the arms in further since the adjustment slots for the lower Arms is usually longer then on the stock K-member.
FYI, unless the tubular lower A-arms you go with are designed to narrow the track width changing the A-arms won't help.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:36 PM
12 Second Club

PA sells a narrowed lower a arm, but doesn't offer a narrow upper, and when questioned about how that would work, they said it was not an issue?? Seems a little odd to me.
I've had it in my mind that I was going to buy a set of 1" narrower lower a arms, and take my current bushing-equipped uppers, cut the bushing ends off, and weld in rod end bungs 1" further back than "stock" length with a rod end threaded in.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

Pa always seemed lightweight more drag oriented I wonder how strong they are? What about boxed umi's
Old 03-29-2013, 01:44 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by js2fst
Pa always seemed lightweight more drag oriented I wonder how strong they are? What about boxed umi's
I drove my car on the street for the past year with a PA k member and a arms, as well as strange single adjustable shocks, and I get under the car regularly to observe things and have yet you notice any sign of failure on anythin from PA or Strange
Old 03-29-2013, 01:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blacktransam
hey guys i'm trying to narrow the front track width of my 4th gen t/a about 2" per side. I found the PA control arms that will narrow 1" per side and I've heard rumor of the 3rd gen spindle being worth another inch. Is there any truth to this? Just trying to tuck the wheels I want in correctly.

Mike
Bad rumor...the third gen spindle is designed to accept the direct bolt on of the shock absorber, and not a ball joint. The third gen cars are a "McPherson Strut" deal....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Narrowing front track width.