Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

need some help with my Koni/bmr set up

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some help with my Koni/bmr set up

I am running bmr springs with Koni 4/3 shocks front are set at 4 from soft and feel absolutely perfect but the rears are a completely different story . The third gen rears are set to full soft and I feel like when ever I go over a dip in the road, it feels like the rear slams down hard than pops back up very quickly creating a very Jarring feeling . Are my shocks set, too soft for the spring? Or are they still too stiff on their softest setting? I heard switching to slp blistens will give a more comfortable ride? This is my dd the rough ride is starting to get to me

Thanks

Dom
Old 12-28-2012, 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting because I also purchased the handling package of BMR's springs with Koni schocks that are on car adjustable. As what I read with your your shocks could be very stiff, usually thats what happens to me when they are set to stiff. But thats fixable by adjusting them, ever since I have had no problems.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

is you set on car adjustable in the rears as well because mine is the off car and i heard there is a difference between the two. ill try taking the shocks off and adjusting them maybe they are set to full stiff by accident idk just wondering if anyone with the same set up is having this problem.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only real difference between the two is the fact that when they are on car they can be adjusted when they are in the car, which means you dont have to be having the hassle of taking them off each time you want to change the feel of the shocks.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the help man.

anyone else have any input ?
Old 01-03-2013, 03:10 PM
TECH Junkie

All koni single adjustables adjust rebound only. So when you adjust them stiffer, you will have a slower rate of suspension extension. The compression travel will be the same no matter the soft or stiffer settings.

What size wheels do you have? What are the roads conditions where you are driving?
Old 01-03-2013, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

17x 9.5 with 275/40/17 Nitto's and semi rough but when i drive in other cars compared to mine the roads feel like anything is hardly wrong withthe road but same road with my car might feel like the whole road is a bunch of little speed bumps or pot holes
Old 01-03-2013, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

Since your shocks are off the car, are you sure you adjusted them? I never worked on the off-only, but I would imagine you would have to hold the the body of the shock still while you make the adjustment. Is it possible it never adjusted when you thought it did? I know it sounds odd, but it's worth asking. My rears are on car adjustable, and deffinetly soft to the feel.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by z28camaross2
thanks for the help man.

anyone else have any input ?
-Make sure they are adjusted to full soft.
-Check your bumpstops. Are they still there? Are they stiffer aftermarket ones?
-Easy one here, make sure your tire pressure is not any higher than 30psi.
-If you have aftermarket rear LCA's ditch them for stock ones.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

alright guys, so i have some results. i hate when guys never post their results lol.

so i went head and pulled my car in my warehouse after work last night. i didn't have to fully take out the shock to adjust it, just unbolt the bottom from the rear, jack the rear up a little so you can push the bolt out. then release the rear to hang freely. After that i just had to pull down the dust cover and make my adjustments (here is where i went wrong originally)

I thought you had to rotate the whole shock its self counter clock wise to reach "0" when it fact it was the rod. so by twisting the whole shock left this actually made the rod go to clock wise to the stiffest position. so i just made the adjustments i needed then put her back together. WORLD OF DIFFERENCE. i was literally hating driving my car literally left like driving a wagon. The rear is still stiff but takes bumps completely different, its alot smoother.

one last thing though, i do have this clunking like crazy coming from the rear i thought it was my exhaust but checked all my points and i see no area of contact. could this clunking be sway bar end links, or even LCA bushings that are worn out? and ALSO when i jacked the car up last night there was a really intense squeaking coming from the LCA as i jacked it up? i even replaced my exhaust with a borla mouth (sound was there before) now its even more intense it seems like with the lighter catback.

Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 01-04-2013, 11:23 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad you got this taken care of! I'm sorry I didn't respond soon enough. I've been in the office ONE day this week so I didn't get around to responding in a timely fashion.

I hope you enjoy the ride now!

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Quick Reply: need some help with my Koni/bmr set up