Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front Lower Control Arms or Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I still have the same rod-ends that came with UMI lower A-arms years ago, and I DD my car.
More road noise does get transmitted through the chassis, but it's not bad at all. The biggest noise issue I see is that some people don't make sure the jam nuts are tightened enough, and I always put loctite(liquid) on the threads directly behind the jam nuts to help keep them tight. And spray them with some UMI Super Lube Syn. Lube #3009 every couple of months.
BTW, rod-ends in the front A-arms no where near as loud as in the rear LCAs.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 03-22-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I though aftermarket lower control arms were a lot weaker than the factory peices? Is this not the case anymore? Seems like since the cars are all over 100,000 miles everything is just falling apart and there really isn't much hope in fully restoring a car like this, at least it seems that way to me because either the aftermarket isn't strong enough, the rod ends make noise, and the gm replacement bushings are a PITA to install. So the only option is to buy a new oem piece, and do they even make those anymore?
Old 03-22-2013, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Spohn is a little cheaper, upper and lower A arms with ball joints installed.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Robbie Wilson
I though aftermarket lower control arms were a lot weaker than the factory peices? Is this not the case anymore? Seems like since the cars are all over 100,000 miles everything is just falling apart and there really isn't much hope in fully restoring a car like this, at least it seems that way to me because either the aftermarket isn't strong enough, the rod ends make noise, and the gm replacement bushings are a PITA to install. So the only option is to buy a new oem piece, and do they even make those anymore?
YES, see post #5
My suggestion is to get a set of UMI Boxed A-arms for the just about same price. Now if you currently not lowered consider a set of BMR 1" lowering Arms. Furthermore down the road when you do need to replace the rod-ends you can very easily do it yourself.
http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=619
http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...&productid=841

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 03-22-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Just an FYI for future readers of this thread, I just picked up my front lower control arms from the machine shop. Total cost for all 4 bushings purchased and installed was $158. I didn't need the ball joints as they were low mileage to begin with, but figure that would have been another $100 or less depending on the balljoint.

I also could have saved $20ish ordering the parts online, but I was already there. I considered just using the money I spent on labor to buy myself a cheap HF press, but I tried pressing a bushing myself on a friends' press and destroyed it, so I just let the professionals deal with it.

So even paying someone to do it for you you're coming out a solid $200 cheaper than aftermarket arms, and they'll last a good 80k? in a daily driver (mine are at 140k and very worn, but not HORRIBLE). A heavy autox car where you're chewing up caster bushings definitely go aftermarket, but I still can't see the huge draw to these parts on a daily driver. Except for the red, red is always cool.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
Just an FYI for future readers of this thread, I just picked up my front lower control arms from the machine shop. Total cost for all 4 bushings purchased and installed was $158. I didn't need the ball joints as they were low mileage to begin with, but figure that would have been another $100 or less depending on the balljoint.

I also could have saved $20ish ordering the parts online, but I was already there. I considered just using the money I spent on labor to buy myself a cheap HF press, but I tried pressing a bushing myself on a friends' press and destroyed it, so I just let the professionals deal with it.

So even paying someone to do it for you you're coming out a solid $200 cheaper than aftermarket arms, and they'll last a good 80k? in a daily driver (mine are at 140k and very worn, but not HORRIBLE). A heavy autox car where you're chewing up caster bushings definitely go aftermarket, but I still can't see the huge draw to these parts on a daily driver. Except for the red, red is always cool.

How exactly will the bushings help your car? Exactly what bushings did you replace? I think I need to get mine replaced...
Old 03-24-2013, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NoHope
How exactly will the bushings help your car? Exactly what bushings did you replace? I think I need to get mine replaced...
I'm replacing the front lower control arm bushings, I've already done the uppers and upgraded the rears to 1le

for this reason...
Originally Posted by joecar
Like said above, alignment wanders... at any significant speed you will get toe-out... this will make car feel darty/unstable and it will tramline on any roadsurface feature (groove, bump, etc).
it likes to wander at highway speeds and squirms when I brake hard
Old 03-24-2013, 11:55 PM
On The Tree

Well I just bought an entire new front suspension out of a camaro that had 77,000 miles on it at the good guys auto show swap meet. So well see how good of condition those control arms are in. I only paid 225 for everything and I needed some of the parts like the ls1 spindles and brakes for my lt1 car as well as the ls1 steering rack etc.

So lets get a vote going in here.'

Stock oem from lower control arms with 77,000 miles vs. UMI boxed double roto joint front lower control arms.

I will be using this car for autox with global west upper control arms and koni/strano springs and shocks. So what is my best option? I don't know anymore. Previously I was told that oem lower control arms were superior to any aftermarket ones, but are they still good with high miles on them? And can the oem ones take the abuse of an aggressive wheel alignment with wide tires 17 x 11's on all 4 corners.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:59 PM
10 Second Club

Update: my son and I purchased the used set of arms referenced earlier in the thread. They came with new moog ball joints and poly bushings. They were a pain to remove and install since the bolts were frozen in the bushings. Got it done with some patience, heat, pb blaster and an air hammer. Car handles nice and tight now.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:15 AM
TECH Addict

just keep an eye on the rear bushing with the poly...

I know those pics pop up a lot ^^^ and the bushings may have been redesigned (I think they have) since then, but still something to look at. Since this thread is going everywhere, do people have increased noise/vibration/harshness with poly in stock arms? any squeaking or bind over time? I ordered a set and then ended up cancelling my order because I realized there's no way to grease them once installed without completely removing the arm
Old 03-25-2013, 09:40 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by high impact
Update: my son and I purchased the used set of arms referenced earlier in the thread. They came with new moog ball joints and poly bushings. They were a pain to remove and install since the bolts were frozen in the bushings. Got it done with some patience, heat, pb blaster and an air hammer. Car handles nice and tight now.
How tight did you get the bolts when putting it back? I got my bushings in, put everything back and then realized, I had no idea how tight it needed to be. There seems to be a lot of movement on the passenger side. Also the upper a-arm I was torn between the two peices barely moving by hand when I tighten it down or moving easier by hand and didn't have as much squeak on the new bushing. I just need to get it tight enough to drive to an alignment shop I guess.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:27 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Scary pics! That bushing location is designed to be very flexible, which is why the factory arms uses a rubber bushing in that location. Depending on durometer and design, the polyurethane bushing may not provide the proper amount of motion and it will displace the stress into the metal on the part or fail the bushing. This is why you see our - and most other - aftermarket A-arms utilize a rod-end with spacers in this location. Full range of motion and an increase in articulation without binding.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 03-25-2013, 11:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I still wonder why GM made that bushing vertical like that instead of horizontal. What were they smoking?
Old 03-25-2013, 12:15 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
I still wonder why GM made that bushing vertical like that instead of horizontal. What were they smoking?
Also, why they connected a suspension part directly to the tailshaft of your transmission? haha

There are a lot of things on these cars that leave me scratching my head. Oversights in engineering, if you ask me.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 03-25-2013, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 193 Likes on 149 Posts

Apparently, the caster bushing orientation used was done to improve ride quality (source p. 34, F-body handbook). GM has a history of using the tailshaft to take up torque reaction in the diff see ('84-'96) corvette.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Improve ride quality... but then they put DeCrapon shocks on the car

I sometimes wonder how hard it would be to fab a new mount and bushing setup turned 90 degrees to get the angles correct again.
The following users liked this post:
SSmokin99SS (02-16-2020)

Quick Reply: Front Lower Control Arms or Bushings