Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Broke torque arm- Stock 02 Ws6, street tires, 30 kick WTF

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Broke torque arm- Stock 02 Ws6, street tires, 30 kick WTF

It has been raining the past 1-2 weeks and stayed wet and it was finally dry so I figured I would do a quick little 1-2 gear pull.

Dropped it into first at about 30mph and got on it.. Shifted to 2nd normal (raised gas, used clutch) and got back in it.. When I let off I heard a "clunk" from the rear end. Making some awful racket/banging/etc on the way home.
I initially thought it was something in the rear... I crawled under the car today and the torque arm is "tore" in two different places and a line around the driveshaft where metal hit it and shaved some aluminum off.

I have another stock torque arm lying around to replace it with so no money out of pocket now. I will get a cheap used one later or when I need a different one for the pewter car put the BMR TA I have on it on the blue car.

How often does this happen? I know the steel stamped arms are weak... But damn, a bone stock car on street tires from a 30 kick and spinning?
Old 01-05-2013, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

i don't know about that, but i did this on my '99 ss flooring it in first while already doing 20mph.
Attached Thumbnails Broke torque arm- Stock 02 Ws6, street tires, 30 kick WTF-pinion_1.jpg   Broke torque arm- Stock 02 Ws6, street tires, 30 kick WTF-pinion_2.jpg   Broke torque arm- Stock 02 Ws6, street tires, 30 kick WTF-pinion_3.jpg   Broke torque arm- Stock 02 Ws6, street tires, 30 kick WTF-pinion_4.jpg  
Old 01-05-2013, 10:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

I've busted a few axles and a couple rig gears but my stock tq arm has been fine.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:36 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i busted my stock torque arm twice and took out a set of Richmond 3.73s....
Old 01-06-2013, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, broken parts suck.. But so worth it.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Dirty.. stockish car with street tires?

I have pics, will post later. It completely snapped it in two different pieces back near the rear where it mounts.

What all options do i have for bushings? I want the smoothest ride possible, this is a dd car. Got a buddy that has an adjustable umi i might pick up.

Got an energy suspension 3111 on order from advance for tomorrow but if there is a better option for a good ride Im all ears. My stock bushing had a piece torn so I want to replace it.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
Dirty.. stockish car with street tires?

I have pics, will post later. It completely snapped it in two different pieces back near the rear where it mounts.

What all options do i have for bushings? I want the smoothest ride possible, this is a dd car. Got a buddy that has an adjustable umi i might pick up.

Got an energy suspension 3111 on order from advance for tomorrow but if there is a better option for a good ride Im all ears. My stock bushing had a piece torn so I want to replace it.
Off-topic but relevant, I had a friend who welded rebar into the stock torque arm for "reinforcement". He swore by it while I made fun of him for not getting an aftermarket piece. But I never heard of him breaking it... since you have a stock piece sitting around, this may be an option for you
Old 01-06-2013, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would say that would make it a significant weight gain wouldn't it?

While this is a dd, I do race it regularly. I don't mind spending money on it, it is something I plan on keeping for several years.

Not a bad idea for a tight budget though.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:09 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry you had your issues. The stock torque arm is both sad and funny. GM really did the least it could to get by with it. A torque arm setup is a really nice suspension design for both drag racing and handling but not in factory form, IMO. I would definitely look into replacing it with a relocated tubular arm off your transmission. It is uncommon for them to break by the rear because they usually rip apart the mount by the transmission.

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 01-07-2013, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Kevin, what are the pros of relocating off the trans? If i pick this TA up from my buddy, I might consider relocating it with your guys mount.
90% of the suspension on the pewter car is already bmr, np reason to change it up now if buying new.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:59 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
Kevin, what are the pros of relocating off the trans? If i pick this TA up from my buddy, I might consider relocating it with your guys mount.
90% of the suspension on the pewter car is already bmr, np reason to change it up now if buying new.
The pros of having a torque arm mounted to your transmission: There is only one and that is reduced noise. A torque arm is a moving, functioning suspension part, so it makes noise. Having it attached to the tailshaft as seen from the factory greatly reduces any noises associated with the part. This mounting style isolates noise with the torque arm bushing, transmission itself, and the transmission mount.

The cons of having your torque arm mounted to your transmission: The torque arm is bolted to the tailshaft of the T-56 and the 4L60E, both transmissions aren't known for their tailshaft strength. This mounting style applies a counter force that is an unnecessary stress on the casing. It's common to crack this casing and that's a $300-400+ repair. There is absolutely no performance benefit to it being mounted to the tailshaft.

The pros of relocating your torque arm off your transmission: You will completely eliminate the risk of braking your tailshaft with your torque arm. I give customers the "400rwhp" rule of thumb. If you're over that number, you really need to begin considering relocating the torque arm before it becomes a problem. This becomes more important when you use a stronger, tubular torque arm. The saving grace of the factory arm is that it's flimsy and the mount is a piece of garbage. So you'll usually bend the factory arm or tear apart the mount before anything happens to the tailshaft...but the latter still happens often. Having a stronger tubular arm puts your tailshaft at a greater risk. I always suggest it be mounted off the trans.

The cons of relocating your torque arm off your transmission: There will be a muffled thud underneath the car from the TA functioning. You've eliminated the 3 points of isolation and condensed it down to one polyurethane bushing...so it will make a little noise. Is it loud? To me, it's not. I honestly think that fixing a suspension issue is more important than a muffled thud under the car. Most customers are cool with it, seldom they will mention/complain about it.

So it's up to you to weigh the options. If you can live with the pros/cons of either option, that should be your choice.

Hope this helps you out,
Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 01-07-2013, 07:28 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

just eibach springs, 18x9's... went boom
Old 01-07-2013, 10:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

With that said Kevin, I will be sticking in the stock location.. Thanks for the in depth detail though.

Something was up with this torque arm from the get go.. I put another stock torque arm with a poly bushing on it and the car feels 100Xs better. I don't think it is just in my head either.

PICS:

Quick Reply: Broke torque arm- Stock 02 Ws6, street tires, 30 kick WTF