Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

steering play: Gear, Pitman arm, or idler arm?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 10:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering play: Gear, Pitman arm, or idler arm?

'69 Chevy Nova 350/350. Power steering upgraded from Manual Steering

So I've got some issues with my steering. When the car is in park not running, I have a good 2-4 inches of play. I'd like to make it tight again, but it's never been the same since I "upgraded" from manual steering. I checked the power steering gear, tried to tighten the adjustment bolt, but that didn't work. So I've uploaded a video to show everyone what my problem is. Check it out, and let me know what you think? I really would like some tight steering, but comfortable. I'm looking to be able to feel the road like I do in my '07 silverado, or even my '96 geo metro (manual steering). Thanks for the help!

Here is the link for the video I took showing the play:

Old 01-31-2013, 12:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just chased my steering problems down on my ls1 camaro which happend to be just a lower bolt i didnt tighten enough when installing a new rack. What you need to do is have someone turn the steering wheel just for the amount of play in the wheel. So if you have 2 to 4 inches of play you turn the wheel just those two to four inches, while you are looking for whats moving what seems to be what two to four inches of steering would normally would steer and what doesnt move. You will find the weak link in your steering.

Quick Reply: steering play: Gear, Pitman arm, or idler arm?