Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Can I cut small notch in Torque arm to clear exhaust in near stock M6 TA?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Default Can I cut small notch in Torque arm to clear exhaust in near stock M6 TA?

The bar that goes from the diff to the rear of the trans parallel to the drive shaft (I believe this is the torque arm) is hitting my welded on exhaust slightly. I'd like to cut a 1/2 inch notch in it just enough to clear the pipe maybe 1/3 of the way back, shaped like a semicircle so my exhaust won't hit, say 2-3" long. Is this a big no no? How about if I have someone weld reinforcement? Car is mostly street driven stock with some occasional track use.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id much rather move the exhaust then cut the torque arm... Break a torque arm could mess up your driveshaft rear end tranny.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How about if I BFH it? It doesn't need much actually, it's just rubbing/bumping pretty much, I bet banging down that lip would do it. I'm not pulling off that exhaust, it's welded on and that would be a nightmare, so the alternative would be to live with the rattle.

Anyone have an idea of what the real risk is? Anyone have one bend or break? I still have stock diff and will never have stickies on it.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:54 PM
11 Second Club

Is it stock?
Old 02-10-2013, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by babbage1109
Is it stock?
Yep, all stock just LT's with 3" exhaust that's welded on all the way back past the point of knocking, stock TQ arm, stock M6, stock rear, street tires, minor mods so near stock HP. Possibility of doing a mild cheater cam or something at MOST down the road.

Just searching around this site and others, seems like even in the RARE chance that it broke at the point of my notch it'd still keep the diff somewhat straight and just bang the hell out of stuff, right? Not a life-threatening event, right?

Last edited by mk3cn4; 02-10-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:29 PM
11 Second Club

On a stock one I wouldn't worry. I thought you meant a tubular after market One. Lol sorry. Yeah the stamped torque arm I would notch it
Old 02-11-2013, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mk3cn4
Yep, all stock just LT's with 3" exhaust that's welded on all the way back past the point of knocking, stock TQ arm, stock M6, stock rear, street tires, minor mods so near stock HP. Possibility of doing a mild cheater cam or something at MOST down the road.

Just searching around this site and others, seems like even in the RARE chance that it broke at the point of my notch it'd still keep the diff somewhat straight and just bang the hell out of stuff, right? Not a life-threatening event, right?
Depends how it fails... best case it'll just bang, worst case you dump the rear axle out of the car at highway speeds.... you tell me if that is a life-threatening event...

Personally... I wouldn't touch the TA... Notch the exhaust or BFH the exhaust tubing, not a critical part of the suspension of the car.

Last edited by 97FormulaWS-6; 02-12-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to go with ^^ this guy. I would never cut on a critical suspension piece for exhaust clearance. When torque arms fail it can be ugly, don't assist in it happening!
Old 02-11-2013, 06:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd also agree with him, try your best to mod the exhaust. Although if you notch it and weld in a damn good reinforcement, I guess it's not the worst thing you could do.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:56 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

NO. haha The reason I say no is because you should always approach fabrication/modifications with this in mind. "What's more expensive, what's harder to replace, what's more important."

Exhaust is cheap, metal, and has no other important function other than evacuating spend gases away from the motor and out the back. The torque arm, on the other hand, performs a vital role in the function and performance of the car just rolling down the road. It's expensive, and shouldn't be altered.

So, with that in mind and using my rule of thumb, the obvious choice is to not modify the torque arm. Just find a shop that can do it for you. Shouldn't cost more than $50 or $75 to work a small section.

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 02-12-2013, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good logic, probably good advice.

Maybe I'll look for a way to squish the pipe somewhat oval shaped, not sure how I'll do that while it's still welded to the header like that lol.. jaws of life would be handy right now.

I can't BFH the pipe obviously, no room... prolly even if I took the torque arm off still not a lot of room to swing it.

Will keep thinking about it but yea I think I'll focus on getting the pipe out of the way of the torque arm instead of other way around. The posts above all make sense.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Don't let these couch queens tell you what you can and can't do. I'm KNOWN around here for my notched torque arm true duals. The ground clearance was awesome and I never had a failure. IF you notch you will need to re-brace by welding appropriately. No big deal for a competent welder. I don't have a ton of pics but may be able to dig a couple up.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Installed pics:

Old 02-13-2013, 06:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Don't let these couch queens tell you what you can and can't do. I'm KNOWN around here for my notched torque arm true duals. The ground clearance was awesome and I never had a failure. IF you notch you will need to re-brace by welding appropriately. No big deal for a competent welder. I don't have a ton of pics but may be able to dig a couple up.
I didn't know that, lol. Not trying to be a dick, just didn't know it had been done, and tested well. Helps to know someones done it!
Old 02-13-2013, 10:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here meaning locally....not necessarily this website.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
^^^ What he said.

It can be done, but I would DEFINITELY go overboard on the re-inforcement. n fact, if you think the patch and re-inforcement is "good enough", take it one step further and go a little bigger/stronger.

Then, make sure what you did doesn't rust and weaken the notched out portion.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:54 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Or......you could just simply modify the exhaust since it's still the easier solution to your problem.

Just sayin' haha
- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 02-15-2013, 12:24 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
Or......you could just simply modify the exhaust since it's still the easier solution to your problem.

Just sayin' haha
- Kevin
I was thinking the same thing, until I saw this:

Originally Posted by mk3cn4
Good logic, probably good advice.

Maybe I'll look for a way to squish the pipe somewhat oval shaped, not sure how I'll do that while it's still welded to the header like that lol.. jaws of life would be handy right now.

I can't BFH the pipe obviously, no room... prolly even if I took the torque arm off still not a lot of room to swing it.

Will keep thinking about it but yea I think I'll focus on getting the pipe out of the way of the torque arm instead of other way around. The posts above all make sense.
Everything would have been fine and dandy until the decision was made to make the exhaust a permanent fixture instead of an easily removable one...that's why I'd never recommend welding the exhaust to the headers since you essentially make servicing the transmission or anything else in the exhaust's path nearly impossible without cutting it off.

Quick Reply: Can I cut small notch in Torque arm to clear exhaust in near stock M6 TA?