Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Turning Drilled/Slotted Rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 02:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spring compressors.

I actually changed 657 in lb front springs with a $13 aluminum (with a steel screw) spring compressor (we were careful to not be in front of it, it is a junk compressor but has held up very well. However, they are dangerous in my opinion). I bought the $39.99 set from Sears Craftsman line with forged steel "fingers" to do the next set. They are much stronger than the ones we've been using and reasonably priced. I'd check them out.

As for the rotors. I wasn't trying to convince you that it was a bad idea. With a mild pad (my pads eat rotors, that would get expensive) they should have a reasonable lifespan. I never meant to imply that they are not decent rotors. Of the drilled/slotted/pretty variety, they are/should be as good as any. It's just that drilled/slotted rotors are not an "upgrade" in braking performance. That is the distinction I was trying to clarify (not to you, just in general). I recently heard "I was never able to get info about the LG Motorsports C5 brake conversion, so I bought Eradispeeds". It is an apples to oranges comparison, but many don't understand that. If they suit your purpose, then absolutely, run them. I never got the feeling that you conisdered it a substitute for an actual brake upgrade, but many do. It was more of a general education, not directed at you at all.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:29 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the heads up on the spring compressor.

I totally understood where you were coming from in regards to your comments about drilled/slotted rotors. I did a lot of research prior to buying the Eradispeeds as it was also the same time I'd done my own brake job.

trackbird--I might be in your neck of the woods next weekend. My little brother is a Mustang guy, so we might check out the Mustang meet at National Trail Raceway. If not, I'll be over there in June for the NHRA drags. Are you coming to the F-Body event at Indianapolis Raceway Park in June? I'll be there as a spectator.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Thanks for the heads up on the spring compressor.

I totally understood where you were coming from in regards to your comments about drilled/slotted rotors. I did a lot of research prior to buying the Eradispeeds as it was also the same time I'd done my own brake job.

trackbird--I might be in your neck of the woods next weekend. My little brother is a Mustang guy, so we might check out the Mustang meet at National Trail Raceway. If not, I'll be over there in June for the NHRA drags. Are you coming to the F-Body event at Indianapolis Raceway Park in June? I'll be there as a spectator.

I don't usually make it out to trails. I did make 1 pass there at SLP day (14.04@102.5...2.6 60 ft, it was an easy pass. I hadn't mailed the first payment yet....). I did just get home from the 40th anniversary of the Mustang in Nashville. I was doing crew chief duties for my friends 2 cars (71 Mach 1 american iron extreme car and a 71 IMSA mustang...they are UGLY!).

I considered IRP. I got on the mailing list, but didn't register. I had decided to strip the parts off of my car and build a track car (and sell my Z), but I may just keep it for a while. However, I sold my race tires and my extra rims, so I don't think I'll be autocrossing anytime soon. I may go out to watch, but I'm not sure. So, that is a definate maybe....

I am scheduled for a track day at Summit Point Raceway in early October, on their new track. If I go.....

Quick Reply: Turning Drilled/Slotted Rotors?