Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

will double flare work with OEM braided line

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 04:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will double flare work with OEM braided line

ok I bought an ABS delete kit but im going to run all neww hard lines, I can buy the hard line at advanced with a bubble flare at the end, but 5 ft isn't long enough. can I double flare the end of the line that connects to the braided line by the caliper or does it have to be a bubble?
Old 03-10-2013, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ya Ive done it a few times the stock lines I think are metic. but they measure about .200 OD. You need a GOOD flaring tool. No cheap, $35-60 china plastic case deal. You can do 1-2 flairs with them, and have them not leak maybe. but it really wears the cheap tool out after a few if you get it to work, most of the time you mess up a few untill you find out what not to do in the steps. Its best for have a fried help thats done it before.
You can put a 3/16 normal SAE double flair nut over the stock line, fits great. you need to put the flair in a spot of starit line. not on or near a bend, it has to be nice and round, and clean, No rust at all, no dents, anything. Nice clean line.
I found cutting the stock line with a cutoff wheel works the best, or a good fine tooth hack saw, and sqare up the end (side of the cutoff wheel, angle grinder, hand file, bench grinder) You need to end of the tubing to be nice and square. Lightly out a little chanfer on the inside and outside of the tube, (inside a little counter sink turning it in your hand, or a bigger drill bit. outside a hand file) No big chanfee to make the end of the tubing thinner and pointy, keep it strong and thick.
I dont use the wheel tubing cutters, you tighten and turn, then crush the line and the flairs always leak for me.
I clean off any dust on the die, and clamp of the tool, that helps it hold the line better, and the die make the seat smoother and centric. put a little oil on the die, a good tool you dont have the crank the **** out of the die to do the 2nd part of the flair, so that better. The cheap ones flex, and the seat looks all over tq or off center. The better tools just do a getter job on the harder line then the soft tubing 99% of the people will use them on (the parts store line) for 1-4 flairs then they loose the tool. lol
Old 03-10-2013, 04:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

your find some info on this in the drag racing tech. guys doing this there.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good info thanks, I just ordered the Ridgid double flare tool and all new 3/16 hard line, I removed all the old lines and replacing them, I really want to do the flares myself, don't want to take the lines somewhere. is the ridgid good?
Old 03-10-2013, 11:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I used the cheaper double flare rental tool from autozone to make bubble flares. A bubble flare is basically just doing the first step only of a double flare. Just get it the right size and straight, and it works perfectly.

Quick Reply: will double flare work with OEM braided line