Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

brakes sound like theyre dragging need help

Old 03-12-2013, 04:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brakes sound like theyre dragging need help

I have a 1997 Formula with the c5 brake upgrade. I left work to go see a local band at a bar across town and everything was fine. As I was backing out trying to leave i heard a horrible grinding sound. I made it to a gas station close by so I could see better. Nothing seemed loose and no freshly grinded metal. I had my girlfriend drive the car while I listened outside and the sound stopped. I got back in and it started again. It seems to come and go at certain speeds. I have the 6LE adapter plates and stainless stee lines. My pads are a month old and my rotors were turned when i got the pads. At the time I was using the Camaro calipers and abutment rods(spelling?). I changed the calipers to corvette remans, but no luck. i swapped the hub assembly for a spare i had but it did not make a difference. I'm at my wits end. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you mite have sticky pistons in the calipers .try compressing them in all the way .put the calipers bake on the rotor with no pads and press the pistons out some .compress and install the pads .do a good bleed job .mite need new rotors.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Fought this issue badly. The fix for me was inserting the slider pin and wiping it clean until most of the old lube was cleaned out of the caliper bracket. After this either use plenty of dielectric grease or antiseize inside and work it back and forth real good. Wheels spin freely now after brake pedal release and no more dragging.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:20 PM
Staging Lane

Ok so after much testing, it is not my brakes. its my transmission. I've never heard a transmission make that kind of noise but its deffinatley coming from there. Im going to post in the trans section and see if i can get some ideas. thanks for yalls help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: brakes sound like theyre dragging need help