Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

I want to do some suspension maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 02:34 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I want to do some suspension maintenance.

Im tired of the little bumps here and there feeling much bigger than they are. I know i need to replace my shocks and im working on getting a set from a member here. Other than the obvious shocks and springs, what is going to lessen the bumps, jarring and tramlining. Should i just buy a new bushing kit from energy? will that take care of what im talking about? I know i will be purchasing an adhj PHB STB and LCA's. But this wont help with the rattles and squeaks. Just want to tighten it all up again. thanks in adance.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

I think the shocks will reduce the harshness the most. Suspension parts will probably make bumps worse cus they stiffen the chassis

Which shocks are you planning on?
Old 03-22-2013, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

Edit- double post
Old 03-22-2013, 02:50 PM
Launching!

think of agx 8 ways with bmr springs if i can get a deal on them. yea i am thinking the enrgy bushing will make everything stiffer, which is ok i would like it to have a tight feeling...lol. Is any part of our suspension greaseable? I know its never going to ride like a cadillac would, just dont want the loose feeling i have now. I know i am going to have to buy inner and outer tie rods as well. those are pretty shot.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:59 PM
TECH Addict

Stock parts aren't greasable. Most aftermarket parts are though.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:32 PM
Launching!

Got ya. If anyone knows anything other than the usual.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shocks are for rebound not the initial jolt of a bump or pothole. Do you have very low profile tires?

Seems like you may want conflicting things.... A tight handling car and soft ride... Tough balance.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 666ws6
Seems like you may want conflicting things.... A tight handling car and soft ride... Tough balance.
That's the idea I'm picking up on. But it can be done depending on your personal preferences.

I'd avoid poly bushings if you don't like bumps as it is. The rubber stock bushings are the best for absorbing all the little impacts and not transferring it into noise or bumps.

Harsh ride can be a balance of two different things. On one hand, your shocks may be too worn and not enough control which increases the speed you hit your full suspension travel. On the other hand, if your shocks or springs are too stiff then your body is absorbing more of the impacts.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:30 PM
Launching!

ok so im gonna start with this;

Ill get this set of agx 8 ways with the BMR springs, see how that goes. Im hoping my stock bushing have something left in them. ill see how that goes. id like to get it a little lower anyway. I have goodyear f1's, the ride is FINE. Im not lokoing to make it softer. Just not so JARRING. like when i hit a bump it feels like my car is shaking apart

Im going to not go with the bushing set yet. Ill see how the shocks do at helping things out. Since im lowering it with the BMR spring ill endup getting the phb and lcas. This should help me hook on the street too right?
Old 03-22-2013, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tjwashow
Im tired of the little bumps here and there feeling much bigger than they are. I know i need to replace my shocks and im working on getting a set from a member here. Other than the obvious shocks and springs, what is going to lessen the bumps, jarring and tramlining. Should i just buy a new bushing kit from energy? will that take care of what im talking about? I know i will be purchasing an adhj PHB STB and LCA's. But this wont help with the rattles and squeaks. Just want to tighten it all up again. thanks in adance.
shocks shocks shocks.
A STB, PHB and LCA wont "tighten things up". They really won't do anything for your issue at all.
What PSI do you run in your tires?

Originally Posted by 666ws6
Shocks are for rebound not the initial jolt of a bump or pothole.
Not true at all.
Thats the shocks compression that deals with the initial "jolt". Shocks can make a DRASTIC change in how bumps/potholes feel, and how they make the car feel (more solid vs falling apart).
Koni SAs on otherwise stock suspension made my car a night and day difference in how solid and "whole" it was. Felt like it was all one solid piece (SFCs did not do this for me BTW), very composed, planted and unflappable.

ok so im gonna start with this;

Ill get this set of agx 8 ways with the BMR springs, see how that goes. Im hoping my stock bushing have something left in them. ill see how that goes. id like to get it a little lower anyway. I have goodyear f1's, the ride is FINE. Im not lokoing to make it softer. Just not so JARRING. like when i hit a bump it feels like my car is shaking apart

Im going to not go with the bushing set yet. Ill see how the shocks do at helping things out. Since im lowering it with the BMR spring ill endup getting the phb and lcas. This should help me hook on the street too right?
The AGX shocks are known to be on the more harsh side of things (more jarring, something you said you don't want) {they adjust compression and rebound with the same ****', so when you want more rebound to deal with the higher rate springs you also get more compression which will make things more jarring} combine that with lowering springs and you may not be too happy... Lower springs will not make the car any less harsh.
Stick with STOCK springs, and bilstien shocks IMO. If not try the AGX's on the stock springs.
Also if you want to hook better on the street you need better tires, period. LCA's will only make things more firm or jarring.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:39 PM
Launching!

JD AMG:

I run 32 psi in my tires. I figured for a true hook on the street i would have to pickup some ET streets at least. I am hoping that i can just replace the shocks and that will help me out a ton! i mean i can hear my rear shocks pop when i hit a bump about a second after. Its hard to explain but it sounds like when the shock is rebounding it gets to the top and the makes a weird noise like its strugling to release all the way. I am assuming this means my shocks are wayyyy blown.

The only reason i was gonna buy the agx and bmr springs is that its local and cheap. 325 for everything with about 11k on the setup. I am not sure how i feel about buying used shocks tho. I have a feeling that replacing my shocks will make a world of difference.

I dont want to to make this into a what shock thread. thanks for all your help.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Don't mean to thread hijack here, but it seems like a related question and something the OP may want. What's the best way to tighten up the steering? Make the car more nimble? I'm thinking replace the tie rods or lower control arms, or maybe just the bushings, not sure, my car feels all over the place.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:40 AM
Launching!

yea tie rods im told will tighten things up
Old 03-23-2013, 08:58 AM
Launching!

I'm really up in the air myself. Mine was built with the Bilstein suspension package. Soon I need to replace here, but the dealer wants 400 bucks each for the replacements on the rear! They have AC Delco Special division shocks for around 200 each and AC Delco HD shocks that I can get for around 100 each... I'm so confused!! Has anyone here used the Special Division absorbers and how did they fair?
Old 03-23-2013, 12:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

yea tie rods im told will tighten things up
Cool, I will be doing that next then. Car's at 100,000 miles anyways.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:49 PM
Launching!

yea i need to replace my tie rods bad, that and shocks should tighten everything up nicely.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MMWS6
I'm really up in the air myself. Mine was built with the Bilstein suspension package. Soon I need to replace here, but the dealer wants 400 bucks each for the replacements on the rear! They have AC Delco Special division shocks for around 200 each and AC Delco HD shocks that I can get for around 100 each... I'm so confused!! Has anyone here used the Special Division absorbers and how did they fair?
$400 EACH for Bilstein shocks from the dealer?

I paid less than that shipped for all four to my door.

I hope I just misunderstood you, if I haven't, you REALLY need to shop around...
Old 03-24-2013, 05:56 AM
Launching!

No man, you did not misunderstand... I was going through pricing on Thursday there and nearly fell through the floor!!
Old 03-24-2013, 01:41 PM
TECH Resident

Multiple places you can buy Bilsteins at for around 400 (all 4 shocks). I was in your situation OP after I bought my 01 SS.

I couldn't afford Koni's, so I bought the Bilsteins from Strano. Even with the stock springs, the car rode well, stopped being harsh and floating after hitting a bump.

I have been upgrading my suspension a little at a time. The car feels great in turns and rides well enough that my wife, who has a bad back, can ride in the car with no issues.

Save yourself some cash and install the shocks yourself. It might take you 4-6 hours, but is WELL worth it.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do you have to get a PHB or LCAS if you get lowering springs on your car?

Anyone know where you can buy a complete set of replacement bushings for all your suspension parts? I'm pretty sure mine are shot, I just want to go with the standard rubber ones.

Quick Reply: I want to do some suspension maintenance.