Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Break Caliper Bolt questions/Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 07:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Break Caliper Bolt questions/Need Help

Hey guys whats going on? Well the other day I was hot rodding my z28 a little bit and I litterally lost the bolt that bolts the caliper to the spindle. It looks like it should be a Grade 8 Bolt thats 20mm and 1.5" in length. I had a couple of questions in general.

Is there a torque spec these need to be torque'd to exactly?

And second, I could only find a grade 5 bolt to hold me over temporarily, short of going to a junk yard and tearing to a fbody, does anyone know where I could get grade 8 or higher bolts ? It had a 10.9 at the end of the bolt. Here is a picture of where the bolt fell out of the back of the spindle.

This is why I am going to DIY on all my work here on out, because brake shops leave this quality.
Any help would be appreciated guys . This is a 2002 z28 camaro.
Attached Thumbnails Break Caliper Bolt questions/Need Help-imag0211.jpg  

Last edited by blazzin93z; 03-22-2013 at 07:46 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-22-2013, 07:45 PM
Teching In

This is the Passenger side front Caliper set up by the way.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:51 PM
Launching!

Yes there is a torque spec for those bolts. Dont remember what is was right off hand when i did my conversion. I am thinking it was like 75 but dont swear by it. They originally came with thread locker on them. I had to order bolts through my local hardware. I put thread locker on the new ones when i installed them.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:55 PM
Teching In

Thanks bud. It looks like there was no loctite on these. That may be why the other one backed out.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Those bolts are metric. Grade 8 is for standard bolts. The only place you'll probably find grade 10.9 metric bolts in that size is online or from GM themselves. Or the junkyard.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PM me if you can't find one.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:33 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by blazzin93z
Is there a torque spec these need to be torque'd to exactly?
Yep - towards the end of page 1 in this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...f-freeway.html

The bracket to caliper bolts are low torque and came from the factory with thread locker on them. The one you are missing - bracket to plate is torqued only.

And second, I could only find a grade 5 bolt to hold me over temporarily, short of going to a junk yard and tearing to a fbody, does anyone know where I could get grade 8 or higher bolts ? It had a 10.9 at the end of the bolt. Here is a picture of where the bolt fell out of the back of the spindle.
As mentioned above, its a high strength metric bolt with 10.9 stamped on the end. Its also black oxide coated, which makes it even harder to find. They are stocked by dealers, where you should be able to get a new one pretty easily. Kind of to your point on going the extra mile on these types of things - I'd only go for a GM part on this one.

This is why I am going to DIY on all my work here on out, because brake shops leave this quality.
Good call. Even when I get warranty service on brakes/wheels, etc. or have someone else change my tires - I always check the torque of the bolts when I get home. These are all key single points of massive failure and its important to make sure they are done right.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:39 PM
Launching!

Thread jumping here, but when you "do it yourself", please use the torque wrench properly. It only needs to click once! I even see on TV shows where the mechanics will "double click" the torque wrench to ensure the torque I guess, but it is dead wrong. That's not the way to do it, one click... trust your tools!!
Another quick one, be careful not to use lock tight on a bolt that does not call for it. It will act like lube when you torque it and you will over torque the bolt
Old 03-24-2013, 06:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MMWS6
Thread jumping here, but when you "do it yourself", please use the torque wrench properly. It only needs to click once! I even see on TV shows where the mechanics will "double click" the torque wrench to ensure the torque I guess, but it is dead wrong. That's not the way to do it, one click... trust your tools!!
Where are you pulling that info from? We torque huge bolts at work upwards of 400 ft-lb and "double-click" them all the time.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:34 PM
Launching!

Motive Power, GM Tech, Mohawk College, Hamilton Location
Autobody Collision and Damage Repairer... graduated in 2006
Old 03-25-2013, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've done brakes longer than I've had a torque wrench. I just make sure they're really tight. I do have a tendency to overtighten stuff, but I've never had anything come apart and I did half my suspension on my old car with nothing but a ratchet. Nothing ever came apart <knock on wood> But I have a torque wrench now and should really use it more often than I do. Old habits die hard Especially when there isn't as much room to swing a torque wrench.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:39 PM
Save the manuals!

Sorry... Just had to post this.

I jest but am interested to understand the technical rationale behind this point. The torque is a measurement of the elongation and stresses built up inside the bolt. If it rests and settles for a second, it may loose some of its initial torque. If you turn the wrench slowly, there should be no harm in a second click as the tool should always break at the proper torque.

Last edited by wssix99; 03-25-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:00 PM
Launching!

Here is a little info for you with a quick google search:

http://www1.snapon.com/display/231/T...ueWrench08.pdf

You will find that nowhere do they say to click the wrench twice. It is a precision tool and is designed to reach torque with one click, buzz, beep or light
Old 03-25-2013, 10:24 PM
Save the manuals!

Where does it say two clicks are bad?

My first clicks don't always do it. Often, I need another 10-15 degrees before I develop the proper torque.

I'm sure proper technique is to move the torque wrench slowly so the torque builds up slowly but that takes a lot of extra time.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:15 AM
Teching In

Guys. Thank you so much for all the replies. This forum has been bad *** for help for years. To this day never let me down. I am gonna run by chevy house today and see if I can find the bolt.

You were not kidding on the 10.9, hard to find that WSSIX99.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:38 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wssix99
Where does it say two clicks are bad?

My first clicks don't always do it. Often, I need another 10-15 degrees before I develop the proper torque.

I'm sure proper technique is to move the torque wrench slowly so the torque builds up slowly but that takes a lot of extra time.
hahahaha... I hear ya man

I had a bloody drill sergeant for an instructor. That man stood over us every bloody time we touched a torque wrench and all I remember from him is "That's it your done! NO!!! Do not click it again... are you guys f-in deaf in here"... followed by something getting tossed across the floor in there... LOL
Old 03-26-2013, 11:59 AM
Save the manuals!

You were not kidding on the 10.9, hard to find that WSSIX99.
Fortunately, GM dealers have them in stock or should be able to get them in 1 day. In addition to the size being hard to find, I think the fronts have a flange head and the rears are regular. On top of that, they are black oxide coated.

For some reason, GM's factory service manual recommends replacing them every time the caliper is taken off, but I haven't seen a good reason why. (My guess its a typo carried over from future years, which may have had a different type of bolt.)

hahahaha... I hear ya man

I had a bloody drill sergeant for an instructor. That man stood over us every bloody time we touched a torque wrench and all I remember from him is "That's it your done! NO!!! Do not click it again... are you guys f-in deaf in here"... followed by something getting tossed across the floor in there... LOL
Yea, its probably sound advice but not all gloom and doom. If my second click comes without any rotation, I always loosen the nut and re-torque in case my first fast click overtightened.

<Insert a picture of me flying through the air wearing my Captain **** cape.> I'm really particular on my brake and wheel torque. I don't want one of these things to fall out!

Quick Reply: Break Caliper Bolt questions/Need Help