Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Steel brake lines?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 07:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steel brake lines?

Was thinking about ordering some steel brake lines for my car, but I had a few questions about them. What exactly is the advantage of steel brake lines? Do they last longer? What differences will I notice? And where's the best place to buy them, or are they all pretty much the same? Thanks!
Old 03-25-2013, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you mean stainless steel ptfe flexible brake lines for at the calipers? if so, their advantage is they are tougher and won't deteriorate and crack or tear as easily as a rubber oem line, not that the oem's will do that easily. but over time the rubber oem ones can form bubbles and eventually break, the stainless braided lines won't. they are also marketed as improved brake response or less pedal travel because the lines don't flex or expand as much under pressure but i don't believe that. if you're oem line is causing pedal travel because it's ballooning then you need to replace it because it's bad.
i bought russell street legal brake line kit years ago from summitracing. any of the sponsors here that carry brake parts will most likely sell them and will also probably know the correct part # for your year car. the other common brand is earl's.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^this
Just put a set of Russell on my car from ws6store.com and there is a noticable diff when applying the brakes. I have Trac ctrl on my car so it was 6 lines in all. Very simple install, did this along w ebc yellow stuff and a set of sloted and dimpled rotors. Making my money back picking up the dimes I'm stopping on LOL
Old 03-26-2013, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

i have SS lines on my bike and they dont fade as much after riding for a good while.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

I found those Russel brake lines on WS6store.com. Not a bad price. How tough is the install? I have no experience with the brake lines, maybe I'll get a shop to do it.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh, and is there a difference between the Russel Brake lines and the C5/C6 steel brake line conversion? It's $50 more:

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=4478

Quick Reply: Steel brake lines?