Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni, BMR, Brakemotive Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 01:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by idle
Not being argumentative here, but I just did the Koni & BMR's, and my ride isn't jarring at all. I did, though, have trouble lining up the bottom bolts to the strut. I'm one click harder than full soft.
No offense taken. I'm just trying to figure out why my softer stock springs rattle my teeth out.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Coppertone
Just for ***** and giggles, I sat and jumped on my front fender and I could not get the suspension to compress more than 1 half inch or so. If feels like its welded solid. I'm 230lbs. Does this seem normal?
I've got revalved Bilsteins on the front of my car, but I don't know how they compare to HDs. Maybe Sam will chime in about that. I've got Sam's springs also. I just went out to the garage to see how much I could bounce my car. Standing over the front end with my hands (I'm 202lbs) on the radiator support, I'm able to bounce it what looks to be about an 1" to an 1 1/2". I should also say that my springs and shocks are several years old. I also have never had Koni's on the front of my car, but I do have them (SA's) on the back. Not really apples to apples comparison, but I thought I'd throw that out here anyway. As far as the ride goes, I think it rides "ok". It's not harsh, but it's not soft either. I've never ridden in anyone else's fbody, so I can't compare my car to anybody else's.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haven't checked this thread out in awhile but it seems like we are in the same boat:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...pension-2.html

Last edited by 02TransAm/Batmobile; 06-12-2013 at 12:39 AM.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:39 AM
TECH Regular

We are def. in the same boat! My '95 tacoma rides better than this thing right now.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, I'll just mention this, with the caveat that 1) LS1tech as a whole seems to jump down anyone's throat when it's mentioned, and 2) I haven't had much time with it (<200 miles total) as after my suspension tweaks my clutch **** the bed.

I purchased SLP Bilsteins from a sponsor here for $400 shipped, and I cut my stock springs. I think it would normally ride like crap if you stopped there, but I also modded my upper mount to regain most of the lost compression travel, and I also swapped out the terribly stiff front bumpstops for some more forgiving progressive ones.

So far, I love the ride quality. The rest of my suspension is stock (control arms, a-arms, etc) other than 3 point bolt-in SFC's. It's firm, but smooth and not harsh. It rides better than it did with 70k mile decarbons. My wife even commented on how much nicer it rides, and she usually doesn't notice these kind of things.

My car rode stupid high from the factory, so I ended up cutting out 1.5 coils up front - I think that'd be too much for most cars. I'd start at about 1 coil. The rear, I cut one coil, and I think I need to cut another 1/2 to 1/3.

Cutting them increases spring rate a little, but it's nowhere near the 550 lbs the two main aftermarket folks offer.

All in all, my thought was I wouldn't be running the stock springs in their stock form anymore - I'd either like the cut springs, and if not, I'd purchase something aftermarket. It really was an unrisky move from a cost perspective - just could mean more time (which it did require a couple of install, check, uninstall, cut, reinstalls), but thus far I am happy with the results.

Just something to consider, especially if you have stockers laying around.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:28 PM
TECH Regular

fwiw. ONE of my Koni's was clocked like yours and I eventually got it on and that's not given me any issues. One side lined up almost pefectly and the other I had to do like you with the screwdriver.

Car rides the same and sits at the same height on both sides.

Front's can be harsh on cracks and potholes though compared to stockers but the improvement through the twisties and over dips and wavy pavement more than make up for it for me.

Try setting them at 4 from full soft and running 30 psi in the tires. I tried everything with mine and that's the best street ride you will get IMO.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Koni fanboys will say tweak em til you get what you want out of them. But you may not get there. Sell em for some bilsteins and use your profit to buy some BMR lowering springs and be happy. Til then, read this...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...r-springs.html
Old 06-19-2013, 09:32 AM
TECH Regular

I just read that whole thread. I'm going to order Bilsteins today.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

All stock. My next order of business is the swap in the BMR springs and change out all the stock bushings to new Moog pieces.

When I was swapping my tires I checked out the front lower a-arm bushings and they were cracked and hard like a rock. I couldn't even push a fingernail into them.
Did you take care of this...?
Old 06-20-2013, 02:24 PM
TECH Regular

No, I haven't changed the bushings yet.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing that changed was the addition of Koni's and my ride quality just seemed to go to ****. I don't remember subconsciously bracing myself for impact when i had the decarbons.

I'm also beginning to get concerns about my y-pipe to ground clearance once I swap in the BMR springs.....it never ends...
I'm surprised to hear Koni shocks on stock springs described as harsh. I wonder if this is due to installing the springs on the lower perch?

I have Koni shocks on stock springs installed on the upper perch and found the impact harshness to be as good or better than the deCarbons and motion control significantly better. I installed them at about 50k miles and have 97k on the car now. Fronts are ~4 'sweeps' from full soft and rears are ~1 turn from full soft. For a slightly lower stance, I was considering to use the lower perch, but having 2nd thoughts after what you're describing.

Before changing to a different shock altogether (that doesn't offer the lower perch), you should try to reinstall them on the upper perch to see if it makes a difference in impact harshness.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by vtirocz
I'm surprised to hear Koni shocks on stock springs described as harsh. I wonder if this is due to installing the springs on the lower perch?
I have mine on the upper perch and found the Koni shock to be harsh myself.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:43 AM
TECH Junkie

I just read that whole thread. I'm going to order Bilsteins today.
Any updates?
Old 07-09-2013, 09:32 AM
TECH Regular

No, I actually had some things come up and I haven't ordered the Bilsteins.

However, I took my car on a trip to Biloxi (~150 miles of I-10) and it rode GREAT. Maybe it was in my head, maybe it was just really good road, idk....weird.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:29 PM
TECH Junkie

No, I actually had some things come up and I haven't ordered the Bilsteins.

However, I took my car on a trip to Biloxi (~150 miles of I-10) and it rode GREAT. Maybe it was in my head, maybe it was just really good road, idk....weird.
Did you make any adjustments? Sometimes that happens to me though. I'll drive out to the suburbs and I'll say, "Hey. The ride feels pretty good. Maybe I'll keep them after all." Then I'll drive back into the city and hate it so much I switch to my daily driver.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
I have mine on the upper perch and found the Koni shock to be harsh myself.
But you don't have stock springs like the original poster, right?

Quick Reply: Koni, BMR, Brakemotive Install