Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BMR/Koni upgrade V. Bringing the car up some..

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the suspension need to be loaded for control arms, i do know it does for reconnecting the sway bar
Old 08-29-2014, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes you should have suspension loaded when tightening them, particularly with rubber bushings, as otherwise you can preload the bushing which can make it sit higher and/or cause accelerated wear on the bushing.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:37 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I am going to update this thread as an embarrassment to me and hopefully a lesson to newbies. Main lesson here....GET THE RIGHT TOOLS FOR THE JOB AND MAKE SURE THEY DON'T SUCK!!

The car has been parked for a while as I recently got married and haven't had time to do anything around the car and was a little worried I wouldn't be able to fix this.

Anyway, I was able to get everything fixed (done correctly is a better word) and she is driving better then ever now. I decided if I was going to make sure to do it right I couldn't trust the old cheap Torque wrench I had been using any longer so I bought a new one.

I got the car up, wheels off, with suspension loaded and used this link (and one other I forgot to write down) to get specs and went to town on every bolt I had touched originally and any other time I had been under the car.

http://www.torkspec.com/torkspecmm.aspx?KI=88

The result when I started shocked me and was a little scary. I knew the old Torque wrench was shitty, but figured it would at least be ball park. It wasn't. Every bolt was way out of spec. Especially the Torque arm (I had done a rearend replacement around the same time). The LCA's were all way off even though I had checked them twice with the old wrench. I probably went 4 full pulls on the new torque wrench before it clicked. Everything went like that.

So kids, have the right tools and make sure they work. Went for a test run and the car was tight and responsive, felt good in the corners, and I had a nice smile on my face. Now I need to readjust the Pan hard bar as the pass wheel is just barely hitting the fender when hitting the weird angles of the driveway. Otherwise....finally...very happy with this mod. Just wish I could have spent more time on it in the beginning so I could have enjoyed it this past season.

Last edited by FirehawkNS; 11-24-2014 at 06:32 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

4 full turns on the lower control arm bolts?!? Yikes, but glad you got it figured out now instead out later. I kicked my bolts tight
Old 11-24-2014, 06:31 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Corvett z07
4 full turns on the lower control arm bolts?!? Yikes, but glad you got it figured out now instead out later. I kicked my bolts tight
Sorry, I didn't word that correctly. I was thinking the full turns I could make in the space I was in. It was probably 4 70 degree turns. Not 4 complete 360's.

But still, very lose to have hit them with another torque wrench that is now in the garbage.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:31 PM
11 Second Club

I bet ur just happy to be able to drive it again! I know i missed mine while it was getting built. I'm looking into some adjustable coil-overs cuz my azz is saggin just a lil bit. Right rear hit the fender every once in awhile on hard bumps.

Quick Reply: BMR/Koni upgrade V. Bringing the car up some..