Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

HELP: Watts link & Having to adjust rear-end geometry....

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Question

Your non-adjustable rear bar came with some bushing that eliminate the need to use the Fays2 Watts Link mount spacers? Either I am misunderstanding, did not receive these or do not recall any longer.

Also, it sounds like all the replacement longer u-bolts do not have the flat part on the "U" like the factory ones do, or have some been identified by anyone?

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
My rear bars (both) come with different bushings that eliminate the need for the supplied spacers which are a pain in the ***.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
My rear bars (both) come with different bushings that eliminate the need for the supplied spacers which are a pain in the ***.
Hi Sam,

Do you supply these parts separately still? I don't think my adjustable swaybar came with them, I ordered it quite a while ago. I'd have to dig through my records but it's been a few years. I know I ordered the FAYS2 and rear bar from you at the same time, and you made sure they were compatible with each other... but the parts I have definitely don't work on my stock rear.

Since like I said, I had to try and fab up my own parts and ended up destroying the u-bolts I was attempting to use, perhaps I should just order the parts you currently recommend instead.

I also need to get one of the UMI torque arm relocation bars to get that damn thing off the tailshaft of my transmission (I already have ruined the tail seal because of it!), so maybe I'll just order them all at once.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

No, I don't typically do the part separately. I changed the bushings in the bar after we build the earliest ones to get rid of the need for the spacer. If you want some, I can probably get you some, but they are special run for my bars so it might take a little time and they will cost more than "standard" bushings.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 06-24-2014, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

Sam, we are not receiving clear information here. JD_AMG also confirmed he needed to use the spacers and longer u-bolts for the Watts Link to fit with your rear sway package. This bit about the bushings negating the need for the watts link spacers doesn't seem to fly.

Are there some pictures showing what you're talking about as well as photos showing the Watts fits w/out spacers on the original GM 10-bolt?

I am in the midst of the Watts install, and would rather not use spacers, if there is a way not to...

TIA
Old 06-29-2014, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Are there some pictures showing what you're talking about as well as photos showing the Watts fits w/out spacers on the original GM 10-bolt?
Hmm, it would be pretty cool to see a photo of the bushings so I can compare with what I have as well.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

Lightbulb

The Watts Link is very clapptrappy, but I do think it is worthwhile, it just takes a long time to get everything aligned and set.

Here's mine after adjusting on the passenger side, which is supposed to be about 4 O'Clock, but I had to lower a little, and raise the driver side slightly above 9 O'Clock to maintain proper geometry and keep arms equal length.

These ARE the bushings Sam is talking about, but they need to be a few mm taller STILL for adequate clearance. Driver side is fine, but passenger side is so close it will be hitting.

What I wish is Sam would provide photos of equal length, proper geometry and show the clearance he is saying should be there.

HELP: Watts link & Having to adjust rear-end geometry....-qc9ixg2l.jpg

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 06-29-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sam, we are not receiving clear information here. JD_AMG also confirmed he needed to use the spacers and longer u-bolts for the Watts Link to fit with your rear sway package. This bit about the bushings negating the need for the watts link spacers doesn't seem to fly.

I am in the midst of the Watts install, and would rather not use spacers, if there is a way not to...

TIA
This is a total assumption, but Im betting when Sam first started making his swaybars they had different bushing in the rear, since the watts link was not out yet. When the watts became available he probably revised the rear bushings to work with it. The guys like myself who bought the swaybars years ago got the older bushings that needed the spacer to work.

The Watts Link is very clapptrappy, but I do think it is worthwhile, it just takes a long time to get everything aligned and set.

Here's mine after adjusting on the passenger side, which is supposed to be about 4 O'Clock, but I had to lower a little, and raise the driver side slightly above 9 O'Clock to maintain proper geometry and keep arms equal length.

These ARE the bushings Sam is talking about, but they need to be a few mm taller STILL for adequate clearance. Driver side is fine, but passenger side is so close it will be hitting.

What I wish is Sam would provide photos of equal length, proper geometry and show the clearance he is saying should be there.
Hmm, seems like you could go lower with the passenger side one. I attached an old pic of mine where you can see the angles of mine and the spacer that had to be used. Here are also some pics from google to show the angles.

Attached Thumbnails HELP: Watts link & Having to adjust rear-end geometry....-imag0228.jpg  
Old 06-29-2014, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

^ Thanks but none of those photos show the factory axle with the current bushings and *no spacer*, which was my point. I could try more angle experiments, but I think I had enough Watts fun for one weekend. The install documentation certainly leaves much to be desired as well, I passed some of the suggestions over to Jim.

If anyone has their factory rear-end, current longer Strano sway bushings w/out spacers and still correct geometry and arm lengths, please post your photos, it's that passenger side that is the PITA. TIA!

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 06-29-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

^ Thanks but none of those photos show the factory axle with the current bushings and *no spacer*, which was my point. I could try more angle experiments, but I think I had enough Watts fun for one weekend. The install documentation certainly leaves much to be desired as well, I passed some of the suggestions over to Jim.

If anyone has their factory rear-end, current longer Strano sway bushings w/out spacers and still correct geometry and arm lengths, please post your photos, it's that passenger side that is the PITA. TIA!
That Watts link is one hell of a pain in the *** to set up. I think we all suffered through it. But once you get the final eureka (!) moment it's so satisfying.

I see those extended bushings. Definitely not what I got. That would have made my life a lot easier than drilling and sawing through bar stock to fab up the spacers myself, etc. etc.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Like I said in the above post, it seems like you could angle the pass. side arm lower (pointing down more) which would bring those bolts further away from the sway bar, as they would be pointing down more.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Like I said in the above post, it seems like you could angle the pass. side arm lower (pointing down more) which would bring those bolts further away from the sway bar, as they would be pointing down more.
I can't speak for others, but unfortunately for me this brought the arms out of parallel if I recall.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
I can try another day, will post my results here...

Originally Posted by szalkerous
I can't speak for others, but unfortunately for me this brought the arms out of parallel if I recall.
I will have to experiment while using my level, however, look at page 10 of the newer printed manual, you have two other valid options as opposed to parallel... Here is an old PDF version from 2010, but the newer one has more options.

http://www.pdf-archive.com/2014/06/3...ns-low-res.pdf

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 06-29-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

I will have to experiment while using my level, however, look at page 14 of the PDF manual (11 marked on the page), you have two other valid options as opposed to parallel...

http://www.pdf-archive.com/2014/06/3...ns-low-res.pdf
The arms must always remain in parallel, even if they're not parallel to the rear housing, if my geometry is correct.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:10 PM
TECH Addict

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by szalkerous
The arms must always remain in parallel, even if they're not parallel to the rear housing, if my geometry is correct.
Here's the page from my newer manual, note B & C:

HELP: Watts link & Having to adjust rear-end geometry....-gpyptp9.jpg
Old 06-29-2014, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Here's the page from my newer manual, note B & C:

My memory fails me. I stand corrected.

Quick Reply: HELP: Watts link & Having to adjust rear-end geometry....