Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

When to replace Koni Yellow SA's? *& what setting on the Koni's do most people use?*

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 01:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default When to replace Koni Yellow SA's? *& what setting on the Koni's do most people use?*

On average how long or how many Miles before you have to replace Koni Yellow SA's?

Also how many different types of Koni yellow SA's are there? (IE on car adjustable, remove to adjust)

Did Koni ever make front yellow SA's that had to be removed to be adjusted?

EDIT:

I Found the adjustment windows!! YAY

What settings do most people use on Koni's? That is to say someone who mostly uses their car for cruising and spirited driving and may see the drag strip a couple a times a year.

Last edited by KrazyKamaro; 04-25-2013 at 01:10 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:53 AM
TECH Junkie

They should last a very long time, as long as the car

If you install the front konis properly with the adjustment window facing the outside of the car, then you won't need to remove them.

The actual 4th gen rear is on car adjustable from the top of the shock. The off car adjustable shock is actually the 3rd gen design, but they work well on our 4th gens. Removing a rear shock is light years easier than the front.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:17 PM
Teching In

Do front 3rd Gen koni's adjust from the top like the 3rd Gen rear's?

Also could you use a 3rd gen front koni in a 4th Gen??

The reason I ask is that the info I have shows that the fronts adjust from the top also. And looking at the koni's that are on my vehicle there are no adjustment windows on either the outside or inside of the shock.

Also the stampings that are on the shock say they are adjustable.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyKamaro
Do front 3rd Gen koni's adjust from the top like the 3rd Gen rear's?

Also could you use a 3rd gen front koni in a 4th Gen??

The reason I ask is that the info I have shows that the fronts adjust from the top also. And looking at the koni's that are on my vehicle there are no adjustment windows on either the outside or inside of the shock.

Also the stampings that are on the shock say they are adjustable.
3rd gens have struts, 4th gens have coil over shocks, so no, 3rd gen front struts/spring setups will not work on 4th gen cars.
What car do you have? A 4th gen fbody?
If you have koni SA's on a 4th gen there should be an adjustment window near the top of the shock:
Old 04-24-2013, 01:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jd_amg, thanks for that pic. Thatll really come in handy.

OP, the front shocks from a 3rd gen wont fit a 4th gen, but the rears do. Maybe you got them confused.
And there are a bunch of different koni shocks. What car are you looking for?
Old 04-24-2013, 02:03 AM
Teching In

I was told I had koni yellow SA's on my car (2002 Trans Am).

I have a receipt for koni adjustable shocks from the PO along with a buch of other receipts for other parts.

Also I checked the shocks in the front, they are stamped koni and also that they are adjustable.

I may have missed the adjustment window on the shocks when i was looking at them.

What I was looking for was a spot on the shocks to use the round plastic koni adjustment **** that i got with the car. As i didn't get any allen wrench with the car, or is there even one supplied with the koni shocks when new?

I now assume that the round plastic koni adjustment **** is for adjusting the rear shocks.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyKamaro
I now assume that the round plastic koni adjustment **** is for adjusting the rear shocks.
Correct, the little white **** is for adjusting the rear shocks. The adjustment window on the fronts don't always stay where you put them. You might have to twist the section around to get the adjustment window into view.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Koni sa 4/3's on my t/a. I adjusted the rears on full soft. You have to adjust the rears before install on 3 rears. The fronts I went half way in from full firm about 5 1/2 turns. I drove the car and set it firmer a few times till the ride was to stiff then I went the other direction till it was too soft driving the car every time I set it. I found the sweet spot where the ride was good and the car handled well. I found you need to play around with it.
It would not be a bad idea to write down your settings on a piece of paper.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I've found 2 sweeps from full soft in the front and full soft rear is the most comfortable ride but +3 to +4 front and 0 to +1/4 in the rear is the best for performance (autox). Most people say +4 to +5 front but I have the battery in the rear so less weight in the front probably accounts for the difference for me.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mikedamageinc
I've found 2 sweeps from full soft in the front and full soft rear is the most comfortable ride but +3 to +4 front and 0 to +1/4 in the rear is the best for performance (autox). Most people say +4 to +5 front but I have the battery in the rear so less weight in the front probably accounts for the difference for me.
^And this right here is a great thing about these shocks (and adjustable shocks in general), you can choose how YOU want it to feel. I personally don't like the Konis on the lower settings in the front (just not enough rebound for me), and much prefer the feel of them in the middle range or above, even for DDing. And I would not be happy if I bought a non-adjustable shock that doesn't offer as much dampening as the Koni SA in the middle to higher range of the settings.

Quick Reply: When to replace Koni Yellow SA's? *& what setting on the Koni's do most people use?*