Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Is it practical to run two sets of shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 08:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is it practical to run two sets of shocks?

My car currently has Bilstein shocks, all the way around, but I keep hearing raving reviews about Koni's, and wish I had purchased them instead. But they are so freaking expensive. Anyways, I was thinking, is it practical and okay to put Koni shocks on the rear and keep my Bilstein shocks in the front? Also, would I even notice a difference? Or is it the front shocks that place more of an impact in ride quality and capabilities?

I notice the rear shocks are only about $200 for the pair, where the front shocks are over $500!
Old 04-29-2013, 07:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the $200 pair are cheaper because they're off-car adjustable and actually designed for 3rd gens. I have them in the rear of my car, and compared to my old bilsteins they control the rear springs better (with lowering springs). I used to think the fronts were more important but with a solid rear axle a shock that can keep it stable over rough surfaces does make a big difference. If you are happy with the bilsteins don't change them, but if you feel you need more shock go for it.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:20 AM
TECH Junkie

I've had KYB Gas-A-Just shocks on my car when I bought it, and one day the rear shock welds both broke the same week. So I bought the 3rd gen Koni shocks and installed them since they weren't much more money than the KYBs. I've been rolling around for almost 3 years now with KYB fronts and KONI rear shocks on Hotchkis springs. The car still handles quite well, surprisingly. BUT, I can feel an obvious difference in the front and rear. The front bounces and sways a whole lot more than the rear.... Having said that, I'm actually about to order the KONI fronts this week finally!
Old 04-29-2013, 11:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
the $200 pair are cheaper because they're off-car adjustable and actually designed for 3rd gens. I have them in the rear of my car, and compared to my old bilsteins they control the rear springs better (with lowering springs). I used to think the fronts were more important but with a solid rear axle a shock that can keep it stable over rough surfaces does make a big difference. If you are happy with the bilsteins don't change them, but if you feel you need more shock go for it.
Designed for the 3rd generations? Would I be better off finding koni shocks that were designed for the 4th generations?

Besides the obvious, what's the advantage of having an on car adjustable shock? I just don't see why I would ever have to adjust it.

Honestly, when I installed my Bilsteins I felt absolutely no difference between those and the old Decarbons. People say Bilsteins are the absolute best in ride quality, stability, and handling. So I want better.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HoLLo
I've had KYB Gas-A-Just shocks on my car when I bought it, and one day the rear shock welds both broke the same week. So I bought the 3rd gen Koni shocks and installed them since they weren't much more money than the KYBs. I've been rolling around for almost 3 years now with KYB fronts and KONI rear shocks on Hotchkis springs. The car still handles quite well, surprisingly. BUT, I can feel an obvious difference in the front and rear. The front bounces and sways a whole lot more than the rear.... Having said that, I'm actually about to order the KONI fronts this week finally!
Do you have the on car adjustable or off car adjustable koni shocks?

And where are you getting yours? Everywhere I look a full set of 4 Koni's costs over $700..pretty steep. But a set of rear shocks is only about $200, and if they're that good of a shock I might just get the rear for the time being and get the fronts done later on.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NoHope
Designed for the 3rd generations? Would I be better off finding koni shocks that were designed for the 4th generations?

Besides the obvious, what's the advantage of having an on car adjustable shock? I just don't see why I would ever have to adjust it.

Honestly, when I installed my Bilsteins I felt absolutely no difference between those and the old Decarbons. People say Bilsteins are the absolute best in ride quality, stability, and handling. So I want better.
I think the adjustability is nice. You can feel a difference between the settings just driving around town. Also if you plan to hit the drag strip, you can adjust them to suit your needs better, but the 3rd gen rears with off-car adjustability isn't that fun on the fly.

Originally Posted by NoHope
Do you have the on car adjustable or off car adjustable koni shocks?

And where are you getting yours? Everywhere I look a full set of 4 Koni's costs over $700..pretty steep. But a set of rear shocks is only about $200, and if they're that good of a shock I might just get the rear for the time being and get the fronts done later on.
My rears are off-car adjustable (the 3rd gen rear shocks) I'll probably be buying my fronts through BMR or WS6Store.. You WILL notice a difference between the two if you just get the KONI rears, but I've been driving like this for almost 3 years now, and it's not THAT bad. If i had to do it again, I'd save and spend the money on the 4th gen rears to be able to adjust them easier.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:21 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

When purchasing new shocks for my M6 car, I went with Koni 3's out back along with the Bilsteins up front, as they were on sale and didn't cost that much more. Even set on full soft, they're still stiffer and have faster rebound than the Bilsteins.

It's a pretty good combo nonetheless, but it definitely would not be worth replacing your rear Bilsteins with them - unless the Bils are worn out.

Quick Reply: Is it practical to run two sets of shocks?