Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Clunk from front end with new struts?

Old 05-05-2013, 11:35 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunk from front end with new struts?

So I just had a set of Bilsteins installed on my 02 Camaro SS. I noticed when I hit bumps/pot holes I hear a clunk noise from the front end. I didn't go with new strut plates, could this cause said issue? BTW car has 33K. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-09-2014, 03:30 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 02RedWS6RamAir
So I just had a set of Bilsteins installed on my 02 Camaro SS. I noticed when I hit bumps/pot holes I hear a clunk noise from the front end. I didn't go with new strut plates, could this cause said issue? BTW car has 33K. Thanks in advance!
just wondering if you found out the problem just put 90/10 Lakewood struts on my 1999 Camaro z28 and as soon as I left the house I hear the clunk noise which was not there, went back home car off put pressure up and down motion can hear it as if I did something wrong noise is on drivers side took it apart thinking the strut nut on top was loose but no all nice and tight notice the top where it sits that it was shiny as if it were rubbing think it could be the strut mount but don't know much any help app thanks.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99 stang killer
just wondering if you found out the problem just put 90/10 Lakewood struts on my 1999 Camaro z28 and as soon as I left the house I hear the clunk noise which was not there, went back home car off put pressure up and down motion can hear it as if I did something wrong noise is on drivers side took it apart thinking the strut nut on top was loose but no all nice and tight notice the top where it sits that it was shiny as if it were rubbing think it could be the strut mount but don't know much any help app thanks.
the spring must be compressed when tightening the top nut on the shock or the mount won't tighten all the way and that can cause the noise, also check your sway bar endlinks if you unhooked them during the swap out of the shocks.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:02 PM
Teching In

Had the exact problem brother....im still workin on it but the advice i can give you is make sure ur mounts and insulators are in good shape and everything is to spec on torque on the bolts....the problem could almost be your ball joints...do you each a creaking noise lowering the vehicle? Cause ur upper ball joints could also be bad
Old 02-09-2014, 05:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
the spring must be compressed when tightening the top nut on the shock or the mount won't tighten all the way and that can cause the noise, also check your sway bar endlinks if you unhooked them during the swap out of the shocks.
This is right. I would put money on this being the problem.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Did you ever find out if this was your problem, Im having the same issue right now
Old 11-01-2014, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When I did mine about a month ago, I had neglected to install the lower spring isolator in the cup on the shock (I got lazy and didn't want to dissemble the old unit to get them). Had some clunking in front, so had to do it all over again. Once I installed them, the clunking was gone. +1 also if you didn't compress spring before tightening down the shock nut, which is a PITA because of access.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clunk from front end with new struts?